Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 09:30 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times

Advertisements

Yeah... in LA, SF, NYC, Boston, Chicago, etc. you can find tons of extremely authentic ethnic food.

A lot of the "Asian" restaurants you see are owned by families from one Asian country who just throw everything in there... for instance, Vietnamese owners with a menu that has Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, sushi, and maybe even some Korean now that it's becoming more popular. Also, sushi, ramen and udon are popular enough in Korea that Korean places serve them.

For example, here's a Chinese place that I order from frequently called China Wok. You'll see teriyaki, sushi, sashimi, buffalo wings, BBQ spareribs...

China Wok - Los Angeles Restaurant - MenuPages Chinese Restaurant Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 09:46 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
I would say a lot of the ethnic foods have been westernized and Chinese food in Australia is mainly Malaysian style Chinese. Turkish is very popular in Melbourne.
Generally i just don't go to an Asian restaurant where more than half the clientele is not Asian, that makes it Authentic enough for me.

Obviously its much harder to do that in a food court.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-18-2013 at 09:55 PM..

Old 02-18-2013, 09:47 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
You know Chicago is more than the mag mile. Downtown is touristy so just like you find posers and chains in Times Square or Hollywood you do in downtown Chicago as well. The rest of Chicago is extremely authentic. Don't base it because what you saw in one area. Chicago doesn't get a reputation of being one of the best foodie cities in the country even the world because of chains.

I guess you missed the point of my post. Instead of picking out a couple words, I suggest looking at the whole thing.

I lived in Chicago for about a year. A lot of the places were amazing, but it has the same flaws as other cities.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:16 AM

750 posts, read 907,935 times
1 . Caucasian (shish-kebab, cheburek, khinkal)
2 . Central Asian (pilaf, shaorma)
3 . American (fast-food)

Separate dishes of european kitchens - pizza, cutlets, pies, another are popular. Recently Japanese kitchen gained some popularity.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:35 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
This is a World and not US forum. US food and food preferences is discussed on general Food and Drink Forum.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:37 AM

520 posts, read 1,515,013 times
Germany:

Turkish
Italian
Chinese/Indian

Italian cuisine is already seen as "local" food and has no "ethnic" or " foreign" feel at all. Same with Döner Kebab shops which are present here in large numbers since the late 1970's.

Indian, Mexican and Thai food are becoming very popular, especially in the larger cities.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:05 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
In Austria:

Turkish/Middle Eastern: Döner Kebabs, Falafel, ... Unfortunately only snack food. You can hardly find a good sit-down restaurant.
Italian: Probably the best out of the three. Fairly authentic and it's hard to find a place that seriously messes up their dishes.
Pan-Asian: Our "Chinese/Japanese/Mongolian/..." restaurants pretty much serve everything that looks Asian. Far from authentic. But people like it anyway. Cheap sushi is mostly served by Chinese people.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:25 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Canada:

Chinese and Japanese everywhere, Indian in Ontario and points west, Doner/Shwarma in Quebec and points east.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:58 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Generally i just don't go to an Asian restaurant where more than half the clientele is not Asian, that makes it Authentic enough for me.

Obviously its much harder to do that in a food court.
That old test, lol. I find it generally true, although of course it depends on factors like demographics of an area. Food court Asian is generally sub-par although my local shopping centre actually has some decent places. The Indian though is a let-down. I've yet to find decent food court Indian here for some reason, which I don't get.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:24 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,527,393 times
In the country it's difficult to say since in each region the cuisine is different. In my city I would say that the italian cuisine is by far the most popular, followed by japanese and lebanese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World