Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 08:17 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,518,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
I want say that is poverty is equal (or same thing) anywhere in the world.
There is not "better poverty" or "worse poverty" because where it is.
Poverty is poverty.
No, it is not. Some countries give more opportunities for improving the life conditions. While the fact of existing poverty in most of the countries, perhaps with the exception of Norway, Luxembourg and other small and extremely rich countries, a poor american is not the same of a poor somali. Even the poorest american is supposed to have at least some mean for keeping alive and is much more likely to leave the poverty than an average somali.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 06:00 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,483,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Incorrect. The USA is still the largest economy and largest military in the world. It is by all definitions a true superpower even if it has declined relatively a small amount as of late. Its role in international politics at present is unquestioned.

America has always had some seriously impoverished people, but less proportionally then a country like Brazil does. This isn't a new development, America was always like that even if you didn't hear about it.
Actually China is world's biggest trader. USA's biggest export item is bonds and other forms of debt

And poverty in the USA just keep climbing:

Quote:
WASHINGTON -
A record number of Americans are now on food stamps.

New data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture shows a record 47,791,996 people collected food stamps in December 2012.
Number Of Food Stamp Recipients At Record High - Philadelphia News, Weather and Sports from WTXF FOX 29

So about 16% of americans can't even afford food.. And the number is rising.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
How can a country that ranks in the top 10 in GDP per capita be a third world country?
GDP is a very poor instrument when evaluating people's wellbeing. You could always wage wars with borrowed money, and your GDP would rise

Old 03-12-2013, 12:34 AM

550 posts, read 1,279,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
That is so true.

Because of my job I have to deal with a lot of people on food stamps. They simply don't have enough money for food after they get through paying for cigarettes, dip, alcohol, drugs, cable TV, lottery tickets and everything else which is apparently more important than food.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:05 AM

4,866 posts, read 10,498,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
Actually China is world's biggest trader. USA's biggest export item is bonds and other forms of debt

And poverty in the USA just keep climbing:

Number Of Food Stamp Recipients At Record High - Philadelphia News, Weather and Sports from WTXF FOX 29

Did I say it was the largest exporter? I did not. It still has the largest economy in the world and primarily trades with itself. It also does slightly more international trade than China does due to its imports. If you can't understand an economic system that's more than the production of widgets you should probably read up on economics. Lots of people seem to want to ignore reality out of a perverse need for the US to fail, but I think one should be honest and unemotional when looking at such a situation.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:27 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,045,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
I was horrified when I watch on TV, a report showing a lots of homeless and Tent Cities in USA.
I never imagined that the greatest world's superpower had so much poverty.
It is look like a third world or African country.
What is happening??
I can not understand because I grew up learning that U.S. was the land of opportunity and and richness.
While the US has it's bad spots, nowhere in this country would you find places as bad as, say, Brazil.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:58 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,089,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
While the US has it's bad spots, nowhere in this country would you find places as bad as, say, Brazil.
I took an overnight bus tour to Detroit last fall with my wife to watch the Packers/Lions game. It is arguably the worst city in America and annually in the running as the country's murder capital.

I wouldn't go to Brazil if you offered me a trip for free. That country is up there with Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala and South Africa on my list of "Countries of the World I Will Never See the Inside Of Due to Legit Fears for my Personal Safety".

Old 03-12-2013, 04:54 AM

200 posts, read 273,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Lol no. overall its actually very nice, the ghettos are pretty bad but nowhere close to the poverty in a African country. Media likes to make it seem like everyone is living in poverty and we are running around shooting each other. In reality crime rates are dropping and we are currently living in the most peaceful time in history (so far).
I doubt that.

Crime may have declined but it's nothing like it was pre-1960 when cities were for the most part middle class and beautiful. I doubt the crime will ever drop that low and cities be that nice again and quite honestly I believe crime rates will start to stagnate and possibly rise due to demographic shifts as well as economic and educational issues. College graduates increasingly can't find work and poverty isn't shrinking but growing.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:59 AM

200 posts, read 273,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Isn't Rio's murder rate only 30 out of 100k? That's a little higher than the average US cities but the worst US cities are higher than that.

ahh

Old 03-12-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Did I say it was the largest exporter? I did not. It still has the largest economy in the world and primarily trades with itself. It also does slightly more international trade than China does due to its imports. If you can't understand an economic system that's more than the production of widgets you should probably read up on economics. Lots of people seem to want to ignore reality out of a perverse need for the US to fail, but I think one should be honest and unemotional when looking at such a situation.
I meant that China's economy is real. USA can't produce **** these days, dollar is failing etc. You should really educate yourself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World