Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 12:39 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
23.7% and 21.4% are close, and in no way a majority of anything. The country is mixed of people from all over the place is the point and there is no one MAJORITY group. There are groups that are obviously more prevalent than others, but to say that the majority of people in America are of English, Irish, or British Isle's descent is just flat out wrong.

It doesn't matter that Germany and Poland's culture are nothing alike. That's not the point. The point is that there's just as many people who come from central European countries as there are English, British Isle, etc countries.
First off there isnt just as many central europeans my calculations have showed that and central europe covers a much larger area. It is clear that the british isle impact on the usa is probably the largest.

I would not say that the majority would have british isles descent but id say it would be approaching a majority.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:41 AM

Half Latin americans arent born in the usa so half of them are taken out of the figures. We are talking about americans not immigrants.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:08 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunication View Post
This whole thread is all about ridiculous stereotypes, I just thought I'd throw my own in there, I've even heard Brits themselves ask why do Australians look better than the British even though we're the same race.
You would have thought that this site would go some way in rubbishing the stereotypical nonsense that a lot of people still seem to harbour, but if anything it seems to be making it even worse! lol

Old 03-04-2013, 07:52 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,515,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunication View Post
How do you explain Australians then, we're probably more ethnically or racially British and Irish than Americans yet we look nothing like the Brits/Irish we're much better looking in general.
Actually I will have to agree with you. I am an American and based on my scientific study of watching Australian movies which is so scientific indeed - the Aussies are a rather handsome/beautiful bunch of folks. Honestly, it is something I have noticed plus y’all have that great Aussie accent that is so cute to listen to. However, I think the original Irish brogue that some of it stems from is more pleasant sounding to my ears. I don't care for the American bastardized version of the Irish brogue though, which is best known as the hillbilly dialect– for which I, personally, speak in.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:21 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GINGERSNAP1963 View Post
Actually I will have to agree with you. I am an American and based on my scientific study of watching Australian movies which is so scientific indeed - the Aussies are a rather handsome/beautiful bunch of folks. Honestly, it is something I have noticed plus y’all have that great Aussie accent that is so cute to listen to. However, I think the original Irish brogue that some of it stems from is more pleasant sounding to my ears. I don't care for the American bastardized version of the Irish brogue though, which is best known as the hillbilly dialect– for which I, personally, speak in.
You would think that there were no overweight Americans though if you were to base your study solely on watching American movies! I imagine that you wouldnt get very accurate conclusions of ANY nation by watching the populace that is put on the TV screens, if you believed what is shown in the movies then the English would all be evil, toffy sounding criminals! Were not! honest! lol

Old 03-04-2013, 11:55 AM

520 posts, read 1,515,013 times
Quote:
Those are fun, although the don't go to that recently (say 5000 BCE?). My parents did them. Turns out my German last name is probably fake. My dad's DNA test proved he's only related to something like 0.25% of people in Germany today and most closely related to people in Eastern Greece, Southern Turkey, part of Syria, and Lebanon.
You are probably a German-Turk then

Old 03-04-2013, 12:15 PM

233 posts, read 449,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Ive worked with Americans, have American friends and where I lived when I was growing up we used to get many American tourists and I have to say I dont think Ive ever seen even one that couldnt pass for a European!?

You only have to take a white American and dress him like an European, have him eat like an European during 1 year, the same level of physical effort than an European...and he'll pass for European. Yes, they are mixed, but white people in Europe have been mixing with other white people since the industrial revolution. Before, not a long time ago, even people from a town 3 miles away were different, with a diferent dialect, clothing, features, not anymore.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:25 PM

233 posts, read 449,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
But those cultures are nothing like another.

And actually here are the figures for the British isles.

British - 0.4%
Welsh - 0.6%
Scotch-Irish - 1.5%
Scottish - 1.7%
English - 8.7%
Irish - 10.8%

=23.7% not 20%.

Also, while on my search I have noticed that there are alot of Americans who listed themselves as 'American, White and European' you can bet your ass off that alot of those are from the British isles. Its ironic because Germany, Poland and France do not reach those figures - 15.2 + 3.2 + 3 = 21.4%.

You've never been to the US. Except for Americans that are recent arrivals, mostly Italians, Slavic, Jews and Irish living in big cities, the rest does not have the foggiest about their origins. They say, "I'm one fourth Irish, one third Chichipowa, one fourth possibly French from Tascaloosa, one fourth..whatever".

Last names are not to be trusted because people changed them, for example, many Germans, Jews, Irish and Italians adopted English last names. Their origin are not clear, since many come from ethnic and religious groups that were annihilated in Europe (pilgrims, austrian protestants, etc, etc).

Old 03-04-2013, 01:59 PM

Indeed I have thank you very much and I have been to 5 states.

Without a dna test nobody knows their origins.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:32 PM

399 posts, read 820,758 times
Quote:
HAHAHAHA I can tell you don't live in the US and if you do, you live in a bubble and are naive as all hell. Over 16% of the US is made up of Latino/Hispanic. Another around 13% is Black/African American, then around 10% asian, 5% Italian. Then another 20% German/Polish/French makes up 65% there, not to mention other things such as Arabic/Middle Eastern/Persian (another few percentage points). British/Irish/English is under 33% total all added up.

i recommend you actually use real facts otherwise you're just spewing utter BS:
American FactFinder
Like Don_Caballero said self-reported aren't very reliable because many Americans don't know all their ancestors and they choose the most recent ancestry.

Americans of British background are very underestimated and demographers agree on this, you can check.

English American

Scottish American

Scotch-Irish American

In the 1980 United States Census, over 49 million (49,598,035) Americans claimed English ancestry, at the time around 26.34% of the total population and largest reported group which, even today, would make them the largest ethnic group in the United States. They outnumber the population of England at the time.

In 1980, Americans of British descent were 61 million or 32,56 % of the US population. The percentages should be lower now it's normal but the number should increase rather than decrease. Since the 1990 United States Census, the option "American ancestry" was added and many people of British colonial stock choose this answer rather than British ancestries.

Also something that is often overlooked is that 14-18% of African Americans have European origins, mainly English/Scotch-Irish blood. Some Native Americans have also British colonial background.

That's why I think it's not wrong to say that 1/3 of Americans have at least one British ancestor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World