U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 11:57 PM

10,566 posts, read 14,474,537 times

Advertisements

It's because white Americans are generally a mix of multiple ethnicities and often races.
Rate this post positively

Old 03-01-2013, 12:21 AM

45,086 posts, read 64,463,550 times
^^^ exactly! White Americans are too diverse, so I don't think there's such thing as a stereotypical white American look. Different parts of the USA got different amount of immigrants from different parts of the world, and there are many mixed marriages.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:26 AM

389 posts, read 423,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Many Europeans, especially Americans and Australians, seem to have stocky builds, even when they're not fat.

Hispanic and Jewish DNA is still mostly a regional thing, not really common in most of the Midwest. If you went to the Midwest you'd see plenty of people who look Swedish, German, Polish.etc.

A lot of Southerners and people in New England could easily pass for British since their ancestry is overwhelmingly from there.
I'm not so sure about that, I'm in the midwest, in my highschool we had a foreign exchange swedish girl. Not only was she drop dead gorgeous, no other white american girl looked like her in school, I definitely haven't seen a girl here that resembles those features yet.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:30 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,701,743 times
I think it's because most white Americans are mixed with different ethnicities in Europe which would mean their genetics don't belong to one particular country. For example, I'm mixed with about 10 different ethnicites in Europe. I would say I look more like my mum's family (mostly German, Polish, and Russian) because of my dark blond hair, blue eyes, thick eye brows, and high cheek bones. However, I also have a lot of my dad's features (mostly Irish and Spanish), like full pout-y lips, the ability to tan well, eye shape, long nose, etc. I've asked people where in Europe do I look like I'd be from, and most people say I just look American, in other words too mixed to be from any specific country.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:43 AM

45,086 posts, read 64,463,550 times
We had a thread about it already and there are some answers:
Most white Americans seem like 'mutts'
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:49 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,159,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
I've noticed that white americans as a bulk do not resemble in the very least the native ethnic europeans, a few look british/Irish but that is, most look just americans and It's not the accent or the dressing but the facial features, body types, etc.

For example Italians, spanish, southern french all have a similar type of looks which wouldnt be confused in the very least with the white american because they are more slender (usually slim) more often with darker hair and with more prominent noses, lot of white americans have puffier features which you rarely see in continental western europe.

Even the body of the women is different, the european women are way often more slender looking with more delicate features, longer extremities, and sharper features, specially women from western europe like belgium, france, holland, germany (specially the west),etc.

Eastern europeans are even more alien looking compared to your average white american crowd.

I do believe only the british/Irish sometimes can look sort of "american" but not alway , just some punctual cases.

What do you think about this?

I dont see george bush passing for french, dutch, german, italian, etc. Nort I Imagine hillary clinton being from any continental european country.
White Americans don't look like Europeans for the same reason black Americans don't look like Africans - they're all mixed and have been for centuries which is clearly long enough for appearance to change.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:04 AM

8,427 posts, read 7,714,990 times
I'm in Boston now and most look like Irish or Italian.
In Kansas most look Germanic or Slavic.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:05 AM

20,694 posts, read 21,053,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
I've noticed that white americans as a bulk do not resemble in the very least the native ethnic europeans, a few look british/Irish but that is, most look just americans and It's not the accent or the dressing but the facial features, body types, etc.

For example Italians, spanish, southern french all have a similar type of looks which wouldnt be confused in the very least with the white american because they are more slender (usually slim) more often with darker hair and with more prominent noses, lot of white americans have puffier features which you rarely see in continental western europe.

Even the body of the women is different, the european women are way often more slender looking with more delicate features, longer extremities, and sharper features, specially women from western europe like belgium, france, holland, germany (specially the west),etc.

Eastern europeans are even more alien looking compared to your average white american crowd.

I do believe only the british/Irish sometimes can look sort of "american" but not alway , just some punctual cases.

What do you think about this?

I dont see george bush passing for french, dutch, german, italian, etc. Nort I Imagine hillary clinton being from any continental european country.
Im pretty sure they do. Whenever I goto america they look no different to us. I have been to 5 states and most people looked like us. I am struggling to see how they look different. Obviously you are comparing americans with eastern europeans or something.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:26 AM

8,024 posts, read 10,691,445 times
Swedish
http://www.graphixshare.com/uploads/...122_1149lo.jpg

Slovakian
http://st.depositphotos.com/1323776/...ess-posing.jpg

French/Italian
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vq4BmY6Cvc...ndvall-fit.jpg

British
http://www.pumelo.com/p103/american-model1.jpg

No they are all American!

Old 03-01-2013, 05:37 AM

77 posts, read 134,563 times
America is a huge country...it's hard to say that we don't look like Europeans, as 'we' means something quite different depending on where you're looking. I work in NYC. There is no typical American there!

I do think that the American physique is different now, and that may alter the visible facial characteristics...statistically, we are heavier than ever, and not In good way. My European friends are regularly shocked by the rampant obesity in view when visiting the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World