Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 12:57 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
Try to find a fully blonde northern european looking band from the UK

Dutch band:

http://muslib.ru/pb/0/1374/ekseption_1752402.jpg

British bands:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...A8EZ8zratg2yO5

http://fondosdeestrellasdelrock.com/...eep-purple.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-39D687_v4S...The+Who+03.jpg

The british have different facial features, I dont think there are much people looking like john lennon or roger waters outside the Isles.
The only difference they have is hair colour.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:59 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Here are some famous native Dutch people for you:

Robin van Persie (football player)

Ruud van Nistelrooij (football player)

Famke Janssen (actress)

Carice van Houten (actress)

Caro Emerald (singer; real name is Caroline Esmeralda van der Leeuw)

Dinand Woesthoff (singer)

I could go on and on. Suddenly Paul McCartney and Hugh Grant don't look so out of place, do they?
There was germans on an exchange trip and they looked like us and the people there. When the french came they looked foreign. Really tan brown eyes brown mucky hair.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:16 AM

599 posts, read 2,593,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
There was germans on an exchange trip and they looked like us and the people there. When the french came they looked foreign. Really tan brown eyes brown mucky hair.
Maybe northern Ireland Is different? Because the people I saw from southern england and Wales looked nothing like germans.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:21 AM

599 posts, read 2,593,266 times
Quote:
Guess what, a lot of Dutch people are mixed with something. We've had centuries of colonial ties with countries like Indonesia, Suriname, the Netherlands Antilles (Carribean) etc. Robin van Persie is a perfectly normal representation of the average Dutch person and so are all the others I listed.

This is an old picture of my sister. We know our genetic background, we are 7/8 Dutch and 1/8 German (i.e. 100% Germanic).

I told you my father and brother have black hair and brown eyes (I don't have their pictures on my computer). My father is 100% ethnically Dutch, my brother is 7/8 Dutch and 1/8 German (the German is on my mother's side). There's nothing unusual about having dark hair and/or dark eyes in the Netherlands.

Oh please, if those people were British you'd be listing them as examples of "Brythonic features"

Literally anyone in the Netherlands could pass as an ethnic Brit and vice versa. You can repeat your nonsense as much as you like, it doesn't make it true.
Only in your dreams, anyone can spot the british and Irish faces Anywhere, no way those faces look continental. Germans as a whole look 20 times more dutch than Brits do, or even the danish people.

And btw a 1/4 indonesian dutch isnt a good representation, maybe in rotterdam or amsterdam is more common, But in the east or north the vast majority are pure dutch.

wayne rooney looks dutch now? LOL you dont see that face outside the Isles/Ireland.

As I said brits are easier to spot because they look more western (harder and darker features), meanwhile dutch, germans and scandinavians look more germanic/northern european in facial shapes/features.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:50 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,470,737 times
Don just for you Kelly O'Loughlin an Irish supporter from Euro 2012. Plenty more blonds like her. I think she is beautiful.

I saw your comment about those Brythonic features (it is a language group by the way). The Irish are not Brythonic as they speak Gaelic. It is only the Welsh and the people of Brittany that speak a Brythonic language. These are Celtic languages by the way. The original Celts came from the Switzerland/Germany/Austria area.

You seem to have some real complex about British, Irish and Americans. You put them down in all your posts as somehow "inferior" and ugly but I notice you're not exactly forthcoming in saying what your nationality is.

Anyway Don what's your problem?

Old 03-08-2013, 08:25 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
First off there isnt just as many central europeans my calculations have showed that and central europe covers a much larger area. It is clear that the british isle impact on the usa is probably the largest.

I would not say that the majority would have british isles descent but id say it would be approaching a majority.
I would agree with you, however, usually Irish descent is usually tabulated differently than ancestry from the rest of Britain because of different culture, history and settlement patterns. Irish (as in mainly Irish Catholics) arrived into the US mostly around in the mid 19th century post-famine to the northern, especially northeastern big cities. They tended to be urban working class and stigmatized. They keep their identity today, but it's rather silly. Scots-Irish arrived more in colonial times and tend to settle in Appalachia, often in rather isolated rural areas. Most of the settlement of New England was directly from England (though you pointed out there were some Scots-Irish arrivals) with little newcomers until mid 19th century immigration. I suppose for the purposes of appearance you can lump all of them together. There are also some people here in New England have French ancestry via Quebec; I'd assume they'd look more French than British.

After 100 years, there's enough mixing in the US to blur any particular ancestry. And due to the settlement patterns, some of the regions of the country have very different ethnic percentages. Since German and British are the two most common, and I don't think they look that different from each other, I gave most Americans will look like some average between the two. This thread agreed with you of more British than German:

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...y-america.html

but probably some of those picking American might be more German than English. Some German immigrants came a long time ago. It's hard to tell. Also, some parts of the Northeast US have a high percent of southern European (Italian) heritage so I'd assume they'd look somewhat different, but even then not always.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:35 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,470,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I would agree with you, however, usually Irish descent is usually tabulated differently than ancestry from the rest of Britain because of different culture, history and settlement patterns. Irish (as in mainly Irish Catholics) arrived into the US mostly around in the mid 19th century post-famine to the northern, especially northeastern big cities. They tended to be urban working class and stigmatized. They keep their identity today, but it's rather silly. Scots-Irish arrived more in colonial times and tend to settle in Appalachia, often in rather isolated rural areas. Most of the settlement of New England was directly from England (though you pointed out there were some Scots-Irish arrivals) with little newcomers until mid 19th century immigration. I suppose for the purposes of appearance you can lump all of them together. There are also some people here in New England have French ancestry via Quebec; I'd assume they'd look more French than British.

After 100 years, there's enough mixing in the US to blur any particular ancestry. And due to the settlement patterns, some of the regions of the country have very different ethnic percentages. Since German and British are the two most common, and I don't think they look that different from each other, I gave most Americans will look like some average between the two. This thread agreed with you of more British than German:

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...y-america.html

but probably some of those picking American might be more German than English. Some German immigrants came a long time ago. It's hard to tell. Also, some parts of the Northeast US have a high percent of southern European (Italian) heritage so I'd assume they'd look somewhat different, but even then not always.
Thanks Nei that is very interesting. Just from an Irish perspective I've read that a lot of Americans that have Scots-Irish ancestry just state that they are Irish so the Scots-Irish ancestry is most likely higher and the Irish ancestry is over reported. I'd be interested in your comments.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:48 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Guess what, a lot of Dutch people are mixed with something. We've had centuries of colonial ties with countries like Indonesia, Suriname, the Netherlands Antilles (Carribean) etc. Robin van Persie is a perfectly normal representation of the average Dutch person and so are all the others I listed.

This is an old picture of my sister. We know our genetic background, we are 7/8 Dutch and 1/8 German (i.e. 100% Germanic).

I told you my father and brother have black hair and brown eyes (I don't have their pictures on my computer). My father is 100% ethnically Dutch, my brother is 7/8 Dutch and 1/8 German (the German is on my mother's side). There's nothing unusual about having dark hair and/or dark eyes in the Netherlands.

Oh please, if those people were British you'd be listing them as examples of "Brythonic features"

Literally anyone in the Netherlands could pass as an ethnic Brit and vice versa. You can repeat your nonsense as much as you like, it doesn't make it true.

What is with this guy and is weird obsession about white DNA? It is very creepy.

It is so obvious he has never set foot in Europe. I picture him sitting in some S. American country surrounded by mixed race people and he hates it. He spends his day dreaming about living in Germany or Sweden but has never stepped foot outside his little neighborhood. Sad really.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:07 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Thanks Nei that is very interesting. Just from an Irish perspective I've read that a lot of Americans that have Scots-Irish ancestry just state that they are Irish so the Scots-Irish ancestry is most likely higher and the Irish ancestry is over reported. I'd be interested in your comments.
I don't know, the places I've lived (New York and Massachusetts) have much more "Irish" than "Scots-Irish". I thinking Irish as in Irish Catholic tend to pay more attention to their hertiage than Scots-Irish, partly because the Scots-Irish arrived earlier and for historical reasons. I suspect many Scots-Irish might also label their hertiage as "American". Not sure.

In the Northeast US, the largest concentration of Germans are in Pennsylvania, dating back to the 18th century. Many kept speaking German till the early 1900s. Of the ones I've met, they tend not to have the stereotypical fair features of northern Europe; most arrived from Southern Germany. Most of my mom's ascentry is from Northern Germany and she has lighter features including blond hair, and as I said earlier the locals assumed she was Dutch, though of course some Dutch can have darker complexions, but the time I visited the Netherlands there were definitley many more blond haired people than the US. This article is interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/18/wo...s.3199975.html

Due to intermarriage, white Americans look different than they did 100 years ago.

About half of Americans born at the turn of the 20th century had blue eyes, according to a 2002 Loyola University study in Chicago. By mid-century that number had dropped to a third. Today only about one 1 of every 6 Americans has blue eyes, said Mark Grant, the epidemiologist who conducted the study.

And that sounds high; I suspect blue eyes is more common in parts of the country. Ditto with red "ginger" hair. It's very rare in the US, but not that uncommon in Britain. Enough that it's considered somewhat interestingly exotic. Intermarriage made it less common. Intermarriage between the various white ethnic groups didn't become the norm until the mid 20th century and still was less common then than today. 100 years from now, with more intermarriage between whites and non-whites (including white hispanic) America might look quite a bit different. I suspect there will be even stronger regional variation today; with many rural areas still remaining mostly completely white.

That blue eyes becoming rarer link appeared to get attention on websites link stormfront, which I assume was bothered by the idea.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:36 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Don just for you Kelly O'Loughlin an Irish supporter from Euro 2012. Plenty more blonds like her. I think she is beautiful.
Loughlin = Lochlainn = "From Norway"

obviously that was a long time ago.. and i only know that from reading about a sizable part of my family, the 'McLaughlins'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I don't know, the places I've lived (New York and Massachusetts) have much more "Irish" than "Scots-Irish". I thinking Irish as in Irish Catholic tend to pay more attention to their hertiage than Scots-Irish, partly because the Scots-Irish arrived earlier and for historical reasons. I suspect many Scots-Irish might also label their hertiage as "American". Not sure.
I agree. good post

genetically i have no idea if there is any difference, but culturally the Scots-Irish americans are very different from the Irish Catholic Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World