Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 01:44 PM

14,824 posts, read 12,082,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Well Austrailans are better looking than Brits/Irish under 30 years old, yet over 30 years old Brits/Irish look better and they age more gracefully.
Its an impossibility to know whether one 'nation' is better looking than another! I would like to know why you seem to think this?

Old 03-03-2013, 01:51 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,353,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
Your theory is wrong the big majority of Germans in the US have largely British roots, they aren't pure German, and they came from pallantine region, the least stereotypical looking Germans

People from Anglo countries look quite different from continental Europeans/Scandinavians on my experience, be it Americans, Canadians, Australians, NZ, Brits, Irish, etc.

A guy like Ben Aleck or Andy roddick would not pass for continental European or Scandinavian, maybe British or even more so Irish.

Its like saying all Europeans look alike, when every group has his distinctive features.
Honestly, some of your posts are just the most ABSURD I have seen on this forum. They are completely laughable at times. So you know where most German immigrants to American came from, huh? You are correct, most immigrants from Germany did come from the West and Southwestern parts of Germany in the 19th century. Do you know why? Its because that was the most densely populated part of Germany!! Most Germans, even to this day, inhabit that region of Germany, even despite the area having so much emigration over the centuries.

THEREFOR! If most German Americans trace their roots to the west and south-west parts of Germany, then they must look VERY VERY German because that is where a dispoportionate amount of Germans live!

And please try to capitalize when necessary. My spell check is being bombarded by your lack of grammar. Ethnicities need to be capitalized. Example. british = wrong British = correct

Old 03-03-2013, 01:54 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,998,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Its an impossibility to know whether one 'nation' is better looking than another! I would like to know why you seem to think this?
It is because of the sun in Australia and the lack of Sun in the UK/Ireland. I not talking about Brits/Irish that live in Australia but people that live in Britain/Ireland. Australians are generally tanned and have a rugged look that looks cute and that is due to the sun at a young age they look better than Brits/Irish yet as they get older, due to the sun they age get wrinkles earlier in life. Plus a elderly Austrailan is more likely to be covered in wrinkles later in life than Brits/Irish.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
It is because of the sun in Australia and the lack of Sun in the UK/Ireland. I not talking about Brits/Irish that live in Australia but people that live in Britain/Ireland. Australians are generally tanned and have a rugged look that looks cute and that is due to the sun at a young age they look better than Brits/Irish yet as they get older, due to the sun they age get wrinkles earlier in life. Plus a elderly Austrailan is more likely to be covered in wrinkles later in life than Brits/Irish.
Do you honestly believe you can't get sunburnt in the UK if you wanted to! Have you any idea as to the extent of tanning salons in the UK? I thought Australians in particular were very savvy when it comes to sun damage? Besides who says being tanned makes you 'better looking??' Also can you define this 'rugged' look Australians have that Britain's don't please?

Old 03-03-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
I'd say up to 65% of white americans have their main ancestry from either the UK or Ireland, which from the start makes themselves quite different from continental europeans.
Your 'estimate' has about as much credibility as me saying that most Europeans **** on the street and women don't shave their armpits.

There are over two hundred million people in America that entirely or almost entirely unmixed European in America. You actually believe that 130 million of them go back to just those two countries?

Old 03-03-2013, 02:11 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,998,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Do you honestly believe you can't get sunburnt in the UK if you wanted to! Have you any idea as to the extent of tanning salons in the UK? I thought Australians in particular were very savvy when it comes to sun damage? Besides who says being tanned makes you 'better looking??' Also can you define this 'rugged' look Australians have that Britain's don't please?
It got to do with the sun. I not refering to all Brits/Irish or all Australians. Beauty is subjective after all.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:14 PM

15,323 posts, read 24,000,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Your 'estimate' has about as much credibility as me saying that most Europeans **** on the street and women don't shave their armpits.

There are over two hundred million people in America that entirely or almost entirely unmixed European in America. You actually believe that 130 million of them go back to just those two countries?
As of the latest 2011 estimates, German was the largest european ancestry of the US at over 15%. However, Latino/Hispanic had slightly more:

Latino/Hispanic - 16.4%
German - 15.2%
Black/African American - 12.6%
Irish - 11.1%
English - 8.2%
American - 7.7%
Italian - 5.6%
Asian - 4.7%
Polish - 3%
French - 2.8%

So you are correct. UK/Irish make up almost 20% of the ethnicities of the US right now, but it's in no way the biggest. If you were to take central Europe (Germany, Poland, etc) and France, that would be the largest ethnicity group.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
It got to do with the sun. I not refering to all Brits/Irish or all Australians. Beauty is subjective after all.
Exactly so you just can't say 'Australians are better looking' or 'Britain's are better looking' I'm going to hazard a guess here and say that there are good looking people from both nations - and ugly bu#*ers in both countries too no doubt.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:29 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,930,102 times
[quote=easthome;28505241]Do you honestly believe you can't get sunburnt in the UK if you wanted to! Have you any idea as to the extent of tanning salons in the UK? I thought Australians in particular were very savvy when it comes to sun damage? Besides who says being tanned makes you 'better looking??' Also can you define this 'rugged' look Australians have that Britain's don't

Sun tanned and rugged, I have been in Oz for 35 years, haven't seen any yet.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
As of the latest 2011 estimates, German was the largest european ancestry of the US at over 15%. However, Latino/Hispanic had slightly more:

Latino/Hispanic - 16.4%
German - 15.2%
Black/African American - 12.6%
Irish - 11.1%
English - 8.2%
American - 7.7%
Italian - 5.6%
Asian - 4.7%
Polish - 3%
French - 2.8%

So you are correct. UK/Irish make up almost 20% of the ethnicities of the US right now, but it's in no way the biggest. If you were to take central Europe (Germany, Poland, etc) and France, that would be the largest ethnicity group.
It is a little bit more because almost all of the people identifying as American are of either English or Scots-Irish ancestry, but that number still comes no where near 65%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World