Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 06:01 AM

92 posts, read 201,250 times

Advertisements

I agree with previous posters that Americans are ethnically and racially mixed. I know a few Americans that look white but have African and Native American blood generations before.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:24 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Ive worked with Americans, have American friends and where I lived when I was growing up we used to get many American tourists and I have to say I dont think Ive ever seen even one that couldnt pass for a European!?

Old 03-01-2013, 07:29 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Ive worked with Americans, have American friends and where I lived when I was growing up we used to get many American tourists and I have to say I dont think Ive ever seen even one that couldnt pass for a European!?
Yup, that's what I experienced as well.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:08 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times
Same.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:09 AM

599 posts, read 2,592,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Im pretty sure they do. Whenever I goto america they look no different to us. I have been to 5 states and most people looked like us. I am struggling to see how they look different. Obviously you are comparing americans with eastern europeans or something.
Maybe with Irish and Brits there is less difference, but put dutch people, belgians, french, etc and they all look quite different as a group compared to white americans. Irish (and also brits) are by far the europeans that resemble the most physically the majority of white americans, no a carboncopy but still.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:11 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
Maybe with Irish and Brits there is less difference, but put dutch people, belgians, french, etc and they all look quite different as a group compared to white americans. Irish (and also brits) are by far the europeans that resemble the most physically the majority of white americans, no a carboncopy but still.
White Americans where? NY, Boston, Omaha, New Orleans, Los Angeles, Portland? They all vary. Obviously, Boston has a lot of Irish so you'd see more resemblance there, whereas if you went to Milwaukee more people would resemble Germans more than Irish.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post

Maybe for brit/Irish, because brits are very mixed ethnically too. Brits themselves look quite different from continental europeans.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
White Americans where? NY, Boston, Omaha, New Orleans, Los Angeles, Portland? They all vary. Obviously, Boston has a lot of Irish so you'd see more resemblance there, whereas if you went to Milwaukee more people would resemble Germans more than Irish.

Your theory is wrong the big majority of germans in the US have largely british roots, they arent pure german, and they came from pallantine region, the least stereotypical looking germans

People from anglo countries look quite different from continental europeans/scandinavians on my experience, be it americans, canadians, australians, nz, brits, irish, etc.

A guy like ben affleck or andy roddick would not pass for continental european or scandinavian, maybe british or even more so Irish.

Its like saying all europeans look alike, when every group has his disctintive features.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:40 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
I don't think Americans look that much different than Europeans- it is definitely the clothing that makes it easier to tell who is from where but line all the women up naked, or the men, or put everyone in the same exact clothing and I bet you couldn't tell the difference!

I live in NYC, obviously I come in contact with a lot of people from all over the place. Accents and clothing aside, it is hard to tell who is from where. Also, most Europeans who were from there originally but now live here, dress more like Americans, so they blend in. Hard to tell a lot of time with just clothes and facial features. I think the biggest difference and the deadringer for who is foregn and who isn't is their mannerisms.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:44 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
America is a collection of states and a collection of nations...a nation is a national family or tribe...In Europe Italians usually breed with their own..Polish the same thing...French are exposed to their own also and create more French ...In AMERICA we have been mixing it up for the last 100 years and national families are cross breed - hence a Russian marries an Italian..You are going to get a mix..that does not look like the more traditional pure breed European of a certain national tribe....America is a melting pot of humanity...Europe is still serving up separate meals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World