Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 02:11 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weteath View Post
Of course, I just doubt that you'll see woman after woman that looks like in that small picture.
Yeah, of course not... there's no place on earth filled with women like that... if there was, they'd suddenly experience a male population boom

But regardless, I encountered plenty of very attractive British women in my time out there. Though my preference generally leans towards women of Asian extraction, I could see myself settling down with a nice British gal

Old 03-01-2013, 02:15 PM

389 posts, read 470,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
NO thats my point for god sake! There isn't one look. That goes for most countries.
I get your point, but I do notice a difference between most Europeans and Americans, I'm not even saying it's a bad thing, I've seen Irish and British women who I would have thought were American, except for their voice you know.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Yeah, of course not... there's no place on earth filled with women like that... if there was, they'd suddenly experience a male population boom

But regardless, I encountered plenty of very attractive British women in my time out there. Though my preference generally leans towards women of Asian extraction, I could see myself settling down with a nice British gal
, Can't go wrong their haha, tho I like all flavors of the rainbow if you know what I mean.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:20 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Quote:
Of course, I just doubt that you'll see woman after woman that looks like in that small picture.
You should go back and get to grips with what I meant. If frenchman or whatever his name is implies that the "average" Brit looks like Royalty and Harry Potter, then I come back with the crazy notion that the "average" Brit looks like Keeley Hazel.

Capeesh papeesh?

Old 03-01-2013, 02:29 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
I get your point, but I do notice a difference between most Europeans and Americans, I'm not even saying it's a bad thing, I've seen Irish and British women who I would have thought were American, except for their voice you know.
You are good because they all look alike to me, i thought the Saturdays were American when i first saw pictures of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKPgjLTQHuI

Old 03-01-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
You should go back and get to grips with what I meant. If frenchman or whatever his name is implies that the "average" Brit looks like Royalty and Harry Potter, then I come back with the crazy notion that the "average" Brit looks like Keeley Hazel.

Capeesh papeesh?
Look at my reply above, I got what you meant, just kidding lol

Old 03-01-2013, 03:52 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,515,431 times
To be honest, I have not traveled much of Europe, just through the middle up, and my take on at least that part is - oh they are so different - mostly the women. As a size 6 American woman I wandered into a woman's clothing store in Hungary. I was immediately stopped by the young sales women who said almost in unison, "We don't have your size. No reason to look. We don't carry anything large enough for Americans." Large enough? I'm considered petite in America?

Now to the credit of Hungary, and the other Slavic countries we went to over there; as most men already know, the women are simple gorgeous. 70% of them you pass on the street look like super models and they come in both blondes and brunette varieties.

I realize we are not trying to do matchy matchy with middle Europeans although there are many Americans with those ancestral roots -they're just squatter now.

I think many, (not all,) of Americans look different than their European cousins. It just stands to reason due to the cross breeding in our immigrant roots. Some Americans are only first or second generation French, German, English, etc. and they are the ones you're noticing to be similar to their cousins.
OR or or or, ones like me. I stem from American hillbilly stock, on both sides, going back to the 1700 maybe late 1600's who either came from England, Scotland or Ireland. As far as I know that is all we are within the last, say 500 years, those three heritages and I think I look very much like my cousins even after all these years. As one poster noted, Europeans breed amongst themselves. Well, many Hillbillies also breed with their own - he he he, and I didn't mean the cliche either. Therefore the immigrants who have continued to breed within in their mother country's gene pool will look more European.

That said my father is from supposedly only English stock yet he has dark hair, dark eyes and olive skin. So the English in my opinion are also sort of a smorgasbord of nationalities given the wars, invasions, (oh those Celts, Vikings, and Romans - they were so nasty bad,), or mingling with other Euro's nearby, etc. of the last 3000 or more years. Speaking of I just sent my saliva sample to 23andme to get a better grasp of what my gene pool looks like -Is it a small, intimate affair or big gala with folks flying, (or better said, "oaring,") in from everywhere?

Anyway back to the OP's question. I think all the posters so far are right due to the above reasons I just mentioned.

I have friends who look totally American, (I don't mean N/A.) I also have friends who could easily sneak into their mother country and as long as they didn't open their mouths or move their hands, and dressed like their native country modern folks do, no one would notice them as different - just chubby.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:22 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times
I'm not a mutt - I'm 100% Anglo-Celtic and I think I'd look pretty in place in any city in the UK or Ireland.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:23 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
Maybe for brit/Irish, because brits are very mixed ethnically too. Brits themselves look quite different from continental europeans.
Actually I'd argue Brits are more homogenous than most other Europeans because they are an island.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:42 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Some Americans don't, I agree, bit there are many who look like Europeans. I am from the US and my dads family has been here since 1850s and my moms since the 1930s. I get mistaken as someone from Europe or middle east by people from those countries all the time. Even when I'm in those countries, people think I am a local.

I mean realistically, unless your family is breeding with way different than what it is, then 150 years in another country isn't going to drastically change your genetics and how you look in regards to thousands of years

You would be surprised at how many Americans are like this in this regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World