Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 10:36 PM

606 posts, read 2,577,785 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that white americans as a bulk do not resemble in the very least the native ethnic europeans, a few look british/Irish but that is, most look just americans and It's not the accent or the dressing but the facial features, body types, etc.

For example Italians, spanish, southern french all have a similar type of looks which wouldnt be confused in the very least with the white american because they are more slender (usually slim) more often with darker hair and with more prominent noses, lot of white americans have puffier features which you rarely see in continental western europe.

Even the body of the women is different, the european women are way often more slender looking with more delicate features, longer extremities, and sharper features, specially women from western europe like belgium, france, holland, germany (specially the west),etc.

Eastern europeans are even more alien looking compared to your average white american crowd.

I do believe only the british/Irish sometimes can look sort of "american" but not alway , just some punctual cases.

What do you think about this?

I dont see george bush passing for french, dutch, german, italian, etc. Nort I Imagine hillary clinton being from any continental european country.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:50 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,756,157 times
Hmmm, a lot of Americans are a mixture of different nationalities from all over Europe, so that look might be rare in Europe, but I disagree that Americans look nothing like continental Europeans. Al Pacino could easily pass in Italy, while many Americans could easily pass in Germany, Britain, Poland.etc. The US doesn't have a ton of say Russians anyway so that look isn't super common.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:50 PM

61,020 posts, read 85,838,736 times
I agree, there is something about Americans that truly tells you they are not from Europe; even their body types and complexions, Americans are often more stocky than Europeans, Europeans on the other hand are more slender and taller with longer extremities. I think Americans are more mixed races and that shows in their body features. In small towns and rural settings they do look more that their ancestors ( Germans, Scandinavians, Italians etc. ), they probably marry their own. In cities, there are more mixed marriages, so their kids have mixed features.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I agree, there is something about Americans that truly tells u they are not from Europe; even their body types and complexions, Americans are often more stocky than Europeans, Europeans on the other hand are more slender and taller with longer extremities. I think Americans are more mixed races and that shows in their body features. In small towns and rural settings they do look more that their ancestors ( Germans, Scandinavians, Italians etc. ), they probably marry their own. In cities, there are more mixed marriages, so their kids have mixed features.

Spot on commentary, Even when americans are not fat I can still easily notice that difference.

Also most european countries have more of the real blonde girls, When I see american blonde girls, they are of the bleached variety (at least 90% of the time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Hmmm, a lot of Americans are a mixture of different nationalities from all over Europe, so that look might be rare in Europe, but I disagree that Americans look nothing like continental Europeans. Al Pacino could easily pass in Italy, while many Americans could easily pass in Germany, Britain, Poland.etc. The US doesn't have a ton of say Russians anyway so that look isn't super common.
Not really, Americans dont look particularly german, and I've been to everywhere in germany, berlin, hamburg, frankfurt leipzig, munich. I think Americans look more like the Irish people and some brits on average, but still you can tell the difference, specially with brits.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:57 PM

Hmmm, I think this is subjective, and you look for features that are different. I guarantee if you were scientifically tested your premise would fail.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, I think this is subjective, and you look for features that are different. I guarantee if you were scientifically tested your premise would fail.

Americans look just american, 90% of them look very mixed ethnically, quite a few have even mexican/hispanic and jewish background, thats why very white features like true blonde hair and light blue eyes are way less common among white americans than among most white europeans. Europeans are way more slender and typically caucasian looking, the stockier phenotypes are more common in asian populations (although still present in some europeans).

Old 02-28-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
Americans look just american, 90% of them look very mixed ethnically, quite a few have even mexican/hispanic and jewish background, thats why very white features like true blonde hair and light blue eyes are way less common among white americans than among most white europeans. Europeans are way more slender and typically caucasian looking, the stockier phenotypes are more common in asian populations (although still present in some europeans).
Many Europeans, especially Americans and Australians, seem to have stocky builds, even when they're not fat.

Hispanic and Jewish DNA is still mostly a regional thing, not really common in most of the Midwest. If you went to the Midwest you'd see plenty of people who look Swedish, German, Polish.etc.

A lot of Southerners and people in New England could easily pass for British since their ancestry is overwhelmingly from there.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Many Europeans, especially Americans and Australians, seem to have stocky builds, even when they're not fat.

Hispanic and Jewish DNA is still mostly a regional thing, not really common in most of the Midwest. If you went to the Midwest you'd see plenty of people who look Swedish, German, Polish.etc.

A lot of Southerners and people in New England could easily pass for British since their ancestry is overwhelmingly from there.

Then american who travel are not fully representative? American expats just look american for the most part, clothing and accent asides.

I can post hundred of pictures of white americans who dont look european in the very least just like tom hanks or george bush.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:10 PM

61,020 posts, read 85,838,736 times
A lot of people I think also get their idea of what Americans look like from movie stars.
They don't know that Robert Redford, Gary Grant or John Wayne do not represent the majority of population, and same with average American model vs average American woman.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
A lot of people I think also get their idea of what Americans look like from movie stars.
They don't know that Robert Redford, Gary Grant or John Wayne do not represent the majority of population, and same with average American model vs average American woman.
For me white americans are almost like a different race from ethnic europeans, specially compared to continental europeans/scandinavians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World