Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 02:24 AM

20,652 posts, read 23,829,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
And this would not be inaccurate at all. In the practice (please, if some briton is reading this, correct me if I'm wrong) Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are autonomous regions of England in the same way of Catalonia, Galicia and the Basque Country in relation to Spain. England, stricto sensu, has no different parliament of Britain, nor a devolved government; the government of England is the same of Britain.
no we are not part of england. We are part of the united kingdom a country which england is part of also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I've only ever heard someone from England refer to themselves as being British. I can't recall anyone from N. Ireland or Scotland call themselves Britsh.

Americans seem to be following the lead of those English who call themselves British. And then the know-it-alls "silently" roll their eyes at us. (Which I must admit is much better than loudly rolling their eyes)
Hahah! Obviously youve not seen the latest flag protests.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Technically Quebec is a "country" inside the country of Canada, which in itself never formally broke away from the English crown either.

Strange situation.
Quebec is not a country.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:03 AM

298 posts, read 1,152,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
And this would not be inaccurate at all. In the practice (please, if some briton is reading this, correct me if I'm wrong) Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are autonomous regions of England in the same way of Catalonia, Galicia and the Basque Country in relation to Spain. England, stricto sensu, has no different parliament of Britain, nor a devolved government; the government of England is the same of Britain.
Spain is formed by 17 autonomous and each one has its own parliament.
Madrid, Andalucia or Castilla have the same level of autonomy than Galicia, Catalonia and the Basque Country, there is no region ruled directly by the spanish government.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:47 AM

233 posts, read 447,755 times
Many foreigners confuse English with British due to historical reasons.
Since England (just as Castile in Spain) was the unifying kingdom that invaded other kingdoms, or the unifying force revolving around London and Canterbury, Plymouth, etc.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:57 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,947,723 times
It's cause of confusion over what the terms England, Great Britain and United Kingdom refer to.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:50 AM

14,831 posts, read 11,956,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
I have some English friends who refer to themselves as British, but that's usually around foreigners.
Why wouldn't they though? English people are British.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:01 AM

2,855 posts, read 5,248,549 times
The confusing has maybe something to see with the fact that huge majority of the "United Kingdom of Great britain and Northern Ireland" (official name of the country) is actually made of England. The confusion is also that many British things, even if originally English have been spreading to the whole country. English language istself is not only the language of England, but still is named "English and not "British".

Old 03-07-2013, 07:00 AM

9,970 posts, read 12,351,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
Because all the British isles ethnicities look alike.
WTF are you talking about we are not talking about ethnic groups why are you so obsessed with race

Old 03-07-2013, 07:10 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,870,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
WTF are you talking about we are not talking about ethnic groups why are you so obsessed with race
If he's not obsessing about race, he's obsessing whether or not a particular group of people are true blonds or not. Very unhealthy, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ Yeah as far as I know the UK is unique in the world. It's a country made up of countries.
The Russian Federation still has "republics" that make up part of the country, particularly in Siberia, and they are in union with Moscow. Switzerland is this way as well, I believe, since it is a confederation. The most famous, though not exactly at the moment but in the near future it could be, example of a country made up of other countries is the European Union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World