Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Mexicans 2 4.26%
Europeans 16 34.04%
Canadians 11 23.40%
Other 18 38.30%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:04 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times

Advertisements

The US IMO seem to be the most insecure towards its own standing.

So many Americans seem to think the rest of the world hates them, judges them and has a chip on its shoulders about any criticism of its foreign or economic policies.

I think also the "We are the greatest, best, most free, most democratic , everybody wants to be us, live here...." implies quite a degree of latent insecurity disguised under ultra nationalist and ultra patriotic guise.

Nobody else in the world seem to care half as much how the world perceives them and nobody seems to have that desperation to be loved, adored and looked up to.

There is an almost childish defiance by some Americans and bullish behaviour as if trying to convince themselves they are constantly in the right and a surliness when it comes to other Nationalities and Cultures a little too vehement to be anything but some form of insecurity.

He who doth protest too much and all that.... Screaming the loudest is often a perfect way to reassure yourself you have nothing to fear and trying to drown out any other voices....

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 03-14-2013 at 10:43 AM..

Old 03-14-2013, 10:08 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
You could argue that USA,ians feel more insecure about Europe than the other way round? Have you seen the sort of comments football.......or erm soccer invokes amongst a large portion of people in the US? Also Americans are continually banging the drum about America and how they think its the greatest and freeist nation the world has ever seen (a sign of insecurity perhaps?) I dont think Europeans harp on the same way about their countries being the greatest ever (apart from the French obviously!)

Old 03-14-2013, 10:41 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
I don't know what this thread means. Insecurity means you have a lack of confidence or anxiety about yourself not about someone else. I've never hear of a situation where you feel insecure towards or on behalf of something else - that doesn't make any sense to me.
Invincible, you don't think this sentence might be telling us all something about you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Your random conversation got me thinking that maybe the reason why some people have these insecurities is because of our awesome Muscle cars
I think this sums it up nicely:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
The very fact this thread exists says more about the USA's insecurities than any other country.

Quote:
There is kind of a connection.... say something positive about the United States (lets say natural scenery) and the one who has insecurities will randomly go off topic and start talking about obesity and/or violent crime. plus the over exaggerate it and will make it seem like you have to wear a bullet proof vest if you plan on visiting.
Just to turn the tables Invincible, it is practically impossible to say anything negative about the United States on here, even if what you are saying is true and relevant to the thread, without getting jumped on. Seems like its okay to say it if you are American but not if you are from elsewhere.
Its a bit like someone insulting your mother. Even if it's true you don't want to hear it. The same can be said for any country though, not just the States. People can be very touchy when the focus is on them.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:58 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
So many Americans seem to think the rest of the world hates them, judges them and has a chip on its shoulders about any criticism of its foreign or economic policies.
I was in Greece last summer, and the people there over and over and over told us that they love Americans and they were so glad that we weren't scared off by their countries current difficulties. We were offered free cab rides, free food, it was crazy! We of course refused their generous offers and paid our way, but it was so nice knowing that we were so warmly welcomed into their country.

The French, eh, they hate us. But they hate everyone, so we don't feel bad. The Italians don't hate us, they could care less about us. The Germans, of all of them I think the Germans think of us as a bit of a rival. They never say so, but both countries are more similar than they want to admit in many ways.

The Brits and Canadians, well, they are like our kid brother. (Or us theirs.) We act aloof, they make us crazy sometimes, and really angry others, but when it comes down to it, we love them, they love us, and we've got each others backs. If someone tries to bully one of us, the other will punch their daylights out. Or send a zombie invasion.

Quote:
I think also the "We are the greatest, best, most free, most democratic , everybody wants to be us, live here...." implies quite a degree of latent insecurity disguised under ultra nationalist and ultra patriotic guise.
I don't think that statement as a whole is true, but the US has more than it's fair share who want to live here--even among the Europeans.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:00 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Uh, stop creating threads like this and people will stop bashing Americans. People usually bash Americans when Americans are acting arrogant, superior and that everywhere else is inferior. Do yourself a favour and stop.
Exactly and there are some parts of america that are just plain trashy and so there really is no reason for them to go on like that.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:10 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
There you go! Annerk knows his stuff!

Old 03-14-2013, 11:19 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You could argue that USA,ians feel more insecure about Europe than the other way round? Have you seen the sort of comments football.......or erm soccer invokes amongst a large portion of people in the US? Also Americans are continually banging the drum about America and how they think its the greatest and freeist nation the world has ever seen (a sign of insecurity perhaps?) I dont think Europeans harp on the same way about their countries being the greatest ever (apart from the French obviously!)
Trust me there is not a lot of people here who are over the top patriotic, every county has its number of patriots who say their country is the best. seems like you only notice the American Patriots, interesting.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:21 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
The very fact this thread exists says more about the USA's insecurities than any other country.
I'm flattered that my thread represents a whole country's insecurities

Old 03-14-2013, 11:27 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Quote:
I'm flattered that my thread represents a whole country's insecurities
Well I see countless similar threads daily. And don't get me started on 'the politics and other controveries' forum!

Old 03-14-2013, 12:07 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,651 times
It is not insecurity as much as it is out-right fear that is felt toward our often "loose cannon" behavior. We have been it too many invasive wars in the past 70 years and that is looked on with concern by others. Then there is the fear that we may use nuclear weapons long before anyone else will and this is base on the logic that "they did it before so it will be easier for them to do it a second time." We use the same logic when talking about second offenders or illegal aliens.

This is re-enforced by the attitude displayed by many of the "unthinking" and there are prime examples of it daily right here on this website and repeated all over the internet and in the media. When ever something happens that bothers us some A-hole will respond with "Just nuke the %&^*er!!" A statement like that hardly inspires faith in our peaceful intentions

Added to that is our official position on situations we percieve as grave which can be seen as a veiled nuclear threat "We will keep all options on the table." Or even less veiled in some situations by: "We will keep the limited nuclear response open." The response "Oh but that's not what we meant." is a day late and a dollar short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World