U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-15-2013, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Chicago(Northside)
3,719 posts, read 6,621,753 times
Reputation: 1687

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
IHDI is the better measure as it more closely resembles the actual level of human development of a nation's entire population. Even the HDI can be viewed as "an index of the POTENTIAL human development that could be achieved if there is no inequality"

read the article below and the best quote from it

"The HDI measures average wellbeing in a country, but not the disparities between different regions or groups within a country, which are sometimes vast. The IHDI now takes into account how human development is distributed as well. Countries which are very unequal see their human development scores suffer more than those that are less unequal."

Human development index: Equality matters if we are to reduce poverty | Jonathan Glennie | Global development | guardian.co.uk

This makes sense because the U.S has larger swaths of relative poverty than Canada and when you take universal healthcare and better social programs that exist in Canada into account, you begin to see why.. It isn't a big stretch to understand this is it?
Whatever you say the fact is America is more developed than Canada. Why are you so ANTI-AMERICAN? Are you jealous because your neighbors below you have more interesting lives than you do? I took this from the website you provided.."HDI can be viewed as an index of the potential human development that could be achieved if there is no inequality"
Rate this post positively

 
Old 03-15-2013, 09:40 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,892 posts, read 12,850,504 times
Reputation: 3959
LOL I love the weakness of this retort. Why do you think i'm Anti-American? I would like nothing more than for the U.S to have universal healtcare and better opportunities for all of its citizens. I'm basically a typical liberal Canadian with social values who would like to see the Democratic principles overtake the Rupublican principles in your country. Democratic Presidency, Congress and Senate! Basically i'm a true blue Democrat and I thought you were from a Democratic state haha. So the fact that i'm an Obama type democrate (relatively speaking) this makes me Anti-American? Are you from California or rural Montana? Tell me the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Whatever you say the fact is America is more developed than Canada. Why are you so ANTI-AMERICAN? Are you jealous because your neighbors below you have more interesting lives than you do?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-15-2013, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Chicago(Northside)
3,719 posts, read 6,621,753 times
Reputation: 1687
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
LOL I love the weakness of this retort. Why do you think i'm Anti-American? I would like nothing more than for the U.S to have universal healtcare and better opportunities for all of its citizens. I'm basically a typical liberal Canadian with social values who would like to see the Democratic principles overtake the Rupublican principles in your country. Democratic Presidency, Congress and Senate! Basically i'm a true blue Democrat and I thought you were from a Democratic state haha. So the fact that i'm an Obama type democrate (relatively speaking) this makes me Anti-American? Are you from California or rural Montana? Tell me the truth.
Everytime something good comes on about America you say for example what you said in the last post "before y'all get too excited about this - take a look at IHDI which takes into account inequality. In this case of the U.S drops considerably and is lower than Canad", everytime something good happens to America you always have to say something negative and then say something positive about Canada, admit it you done it 100times i see you on city vs city.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-15-2013, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,892 posts, read 12,850,504 times
Reputation: 3959
Wow you seem really upset about this - you always see the glass half empty with my posts instead of 80 percent full - i dunno why.

The truth is both countries have their strengths and weaknesses. I'm open minded enough to understand this very clearly and i've also made that clear in city vs city comparisons. Canada is closer to Socialism than the U.S is (but less so than our European counterparts whom we typically lose out to in these rankings and bloody Australia lol), so when inequality is taken into account it performs better than the U.S. That isn't to say i'm not dissapointed that we have been slipping in both HDI and IHDI so we have some work to do as well. Most of my posts are designed to provide an honest perspective based on my views - they aren't anti-anything. Regardless, i'm not jealous of the U.S and i'm happy where I am but I actually really do like the U.S, have American relatives and visit often. In the case of U.S and Canada i'm hopelessly Bi lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Everytime something good comes on about America you say for example what you said in the last post "before y'all get too excited about this - take a look at IHDI which takes into account inequality. In this case of the U.S drops considerably and is lower than Canad", everytime something good happens to America you always have to say something negative and then say something positive about Canada, admit it you done it 100times i see you on city vs city.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-15-2013 at 10:01 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-16-2013, 12:18 AM
 
Location: Canada
4,834 posts, read 9,487,333 times
Reputation: 5294
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
What did i say that was false seriously tell me anything and i will prove it to you!
I said everything I took issue with in the post you just quoted, if you can't understand what I wrote down I'm not going to bother repeating myself.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-16-2013, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Toronto
482 posts, read 721,666 times
Reputation: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
True but we have more people employed, more happy people, more people that live longer, not to mention we have a stronger and larger economy, more diversity, we have the music, movies, we have great health not health care, we have the best highway system in the world, we have the best univeristies, better scientist, better researchers, best military in the world...
Good to see USA is number 3 in the world.

However some of what you mentioned is not true.

Canada currently has unemployment rate of 7 %
US current unemployment rate is 7.7%

Canadians live longer.
Life expectancy for Canadian females is 84.2 years....for males is 81.5 years
Life expectancy for US females is 80.7 years ...for males 75.6 years

Healthcare,
I would give edge to Canada as everyone is covered and is not dependent on employement

More diversity,
Both are diverse, Canada more than most people realize, just visit Toronto or Vancouver to see what I mean.

Best highway system,
certainly better than Canada but Germany has pretty good autobahns.

Best universities, scientists, researchers....
Canada has a few pretty good universities too, like McGill.
Scientists....USA attracts the best from around the world, not necessarily their own but...

Best military in the world,
OK, no argument here, not sure what that has to do with HDI
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-16-2013, 09:41 AM
 
2,891 posts, read 4,588,878 times
Reputation: 3615
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
The HDI is potential human development, read it again POTENTIAL!!!
No it's not. The few things that go into the calculation of HDI are all actual measures, not potential measures.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-16-2013, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Buenos Aires and La Plata, ARG
2,693 posts, read 2,285,488 times
Reputation: 1866
TOP 20 Countries in IDH adjusted to inequality

[SIZE=3]

1 Norway 0,894

2 Australia 0,864

3 Sweden 0,859

4 Holland 0,857

5 Germany 0,856

6 Irlanda 0,850

7 Swiss 0,849

8 Island 0,848

9 Denmark 0,845

10 Slovenia 0,840

11 Finland 0,839

12 Austria 0,837

13 Canad√° 0,832

14 Cechz 0,826

15 Belgium 0,825

16 USA 0,821

17 Luxemburg 0,813

18 France 0,812

19 UK 0,802

20 Spain 0,796

http://www.pnud.org/content/dam/undp...%20Spanish.pdf[/SIZE]
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-16-2013, 10:36 AM
 
21,731 posts, read 12,825,672 times
Reputation: 16049
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Everything i said was true please i could provide tons of links but it will take forever. Whats really ridiculous is when people try and put down American when in reality their just embarrassing themselves.
With all due respect you "translated" a response attempting to offer another point of view to a put-down of Americans. The embarrassment is all yours.

Let's at least attempt to keep some semblance of perspective.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-16-2013, 10:43 AM
 
21,731 posts, read 12,825,672 times
Reputation: 16049
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Whatever you say the fact is America is more developed than Canada. Why are you so ANTI-AMERICAN? Are you jealous because your neighbors below you have more interesting lives than you do? I took this from the website you provided.."HDI can be viewed as an index of the potential human development that could be achieved if there is no inequality"
You see what you did here?

No one on here is having any difficulty intepreting your posts as anything other than how you've intended them from the outset.

C'mon here; who has the inferiority complex, Canadians responding to you or you for coming on here with posts about how great the U.S. is with comments like that bolded above when you read rebuttals you do not like.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:02 AM.

¬© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top