Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 05:56 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times

Advertisements

Some of you guys are so ignorant talking about how the USA will be gone, well guess what are lowest peak of the economy already passed in 2008. Are stock market is doing wonderful, we are getting jobs back at the same rate we were sending jobs to china, jobs are rebounding so fast now. Every city in America is doing much better building better transportation and everything so please are lowest peak passed already we are on a great journey to becoming great again.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJohnsson View Post
Also, if you're a woman, there are 41 countries where gender equality is better than the US (ranked 42). Canada is ranked #18, Australia #17, Netherlands #1, Sweden #2, Germany #6, UK #34. Gender equality is apparently better in Japan (21) and South Korea (27) than the US.
You are desperately trying hard to make America sound bad.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:47 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
True but we have more people employed, more happy people, more people that live longer, not to mention we have a stronger and larger economy, more diversity, we have the music, movies, we have great health not health care, we have the best highway system in the world, we have the best univeristies, better scientist, better researchers, best military in the world...
C'mon, alot of what you said is true, but much of it is easily shown to be false and it hurts your argument to say stuff that has no foundation in reality because it makes people take the true things you say less seriously. Canada's labour force participation rate and unemployment are both lower than in the US so you can't say you have more people employed unless you're being very disingenuous and referring to total numbers which is irrelevant when comparing countries with widely varying populations. Canada also has more people that live longer because the life expectancy is a couple years higher. Public health in both countries varies depending on the condition being looked at but I don't think you can say that Canadians are less healthy, free preventative care has reduced the prevalence of many important medical illnesses, and saying you have more happy people might well be true, but I'll have to see a couple sources citing different polls. I also fail to see how the the size of your military has any impact on HDI.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:56 PM

109 posts, read 128,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
C'mon, alot of what you said is true, but much of it is easily shown to be false and it hurts your argument to say stuff that has no foundation in reality because it makes people take the true things you say less seriously. Canada's labour force participation rate and unemployment are both lower than in the US so you can't say you have more people employed unless you're being very disingenuous and referring to total numbers which is irrelevant when comparing countries with widely varying populations. Canada also has more people that live longer because the life expectancy is a couple years higher. Public health in both countries varies depending on the condition being looked at but I don't think you can say that Canadians are less healthy, free preventative care has reduced the prevalence of many important medical illnesses, and saying you have more happy people might well be true, but I'll have to see a couple sources citing different polls. I also fail to see how the the size of your military has any impact on HDI.
I think she is just stating the fact that the worst of the bad economy is behind us, which i completely with. Other countries don't seem to realize that after we go down, we come back stronger and better.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:07 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Areed View Post
I think she is just stating the fact that the worst of the bad economy is behind us, which i completely with. Other countries don't seem to realize that after we go down, we come back stronger and better.
I get that and totally agree and understand, that's why it pained me she had to throw in a bunch of ridiculous statements along with what was at its core a valid point (if stated in a boastful and immodest way). I couldn't leave that stuff unchallenged because it was too obviously refutable. My best wishes to you and your country all the same.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:05 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Before y'all get too excited about this - take a look at IHDI which takes into account inequality. In this case of the U.S drops considerably and is lower than Canada. The link below is for 2011 but I doubt much has changed in the U.S since. Since IHDI takes into account disparity - I would say it is a more relevant list.

List of countries by inequality-adjusted HDI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-15-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I get that and totally agree and understand, that's why it pained me she had to throw in a bunch of ridiculous statements along with what was at its core a valid point (if stated in a boastful and immodest way). I couldn't leave that stuff unchallenged because it was too obviously refutable. My best wishes to you and your country all the same.
Everything i said was true please i could provide tons of links but it will take forever. Whats really ridiculous is when people try and put down American when in reality their just embarrassing themselves.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Before y'all get too excited about this - take a look at IHDI which takes into account inequality. In this case of the U.S drops considerably and is lower than Canada. The link below is for 2011 but I doubt much has changed in the U.S since. Since IHDI takes into account disparity - I would say it is a more relevant list.

List of countries by inequality-adjusted HDI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The HDI is potential human development, read it again POTENTIAL!!!

Old 03-15-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
What did i say that was false seriously tell me anything and i will prove it to you!

Old 03-15-2013, 09:20 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
IHDI is the better measure as it more closely resembles the actual level of human development of a nation's entire population. Even the HDI can be viewed as "an index of the POTENTIAL human development that could be achieved if there is no inequality"

read the article below and the best quote from it

"The HDI measures average wellbeing in a country, but not the disparities between different regions or groups within a country, which are sometimes vast. The IHDI now takes into account how human development is distributed as well. Countries which are very unequal see their human development scores suffer more than those that are less unequal."

Human development index: Equality matters if we are to reduce poverty | Jonathan Glennie | Global development | guardian.co.uk

This makes sense because the U.S has larger swaths of relative poverty than Canada and when you take universal healthcare and better social programs that exist in Canada into account, you begin to see why.. It isn't a big stretch to understand this is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
The HDI is potential human development, read it again POTENTIAL!!!

Last edited by fusion2; 03-15-2013 at 09:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World