Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 07:05 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,123,597 times

Advertisements

I hear/see this constantly - people refer to all things English as strictly British. Is this the norm now?

I never see Scots/Scottish things, Welsh, or Northern Irish referred to as British, only English.

To me, British/"a Brit" means someone or something from the entire union (i.e. British flag). Am I just being nitpicky?

Discuss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 07:20 PM

1,756 posts, read 2,508,182 times
I cannot say how do an english man prefer to be called, but since Britain is a unitary state, all of people from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have equally the 'british citizenship'.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:23 PM

4,439 posts, read 6,946,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
I hear/see this constantly - people refer to all things English as strictly British. Is this the norm now?

I never see Scots/Scottish things, Welsh, or Northern Irish referred to as British, only English.

To me, British/"a Brit" means someone or something from the entire union (i.e. British flag). Am I just being nitpicky?

Discuss!
It is not just the norm now as there are people out there that refer England as Britian. It was like that in the past. I know peope that have refered England as Britain and it just not these days but in the past. I guess a reason is most people that live in Britain live in England.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:45 PM

10,483 posts, read 6,095,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post

Discuss!
No you are not being picky at all you are quite correct. It's an American thing and this is predominantly an American forum. Seriously not meaning offence here but a lot of Americans haven't got a clue about this stuff, so its easier to just say 'British'. People I know here may have a vague idea where Britain is, ie 'somewhere over there' but don't understand how its divided up. A lot of them have no idea that Britain is next to France etc. I'm not being critical here. Before I moved to America, while I knew where many of the states were, particularly the ones at the 'edges', I didn't know all of them and didn't really learn them properly until my son had to learn them at school. It's just sort of a 'need to know' thing. Until you need to know you don't necessarily learn it. I don't know why Americans have taken to refer to English as British instead of just using English. But because they do, it's an easier life not to correct them. I guess its like referring to British as Europeans. It's not wrong, its just a bit of a sweeping category. It's not something I get offended by. Technically it should be referred to as the 'United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland' which includes the countries England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. 'Britain' does not include Northern Ireland but the United Kingdom does. Britain refers to the island itself so really people should say 'from the UK' if they want to include Northern Ireland.
The British Isles however is a geographical term which refers to both islands comprising Britain (England, Scotland, Wales) and Ireland, as well as surrounding smaller islands.

Edit: Very confusing now that I think about it. No wonder Americans just go for the easy option. I can see why!

Last edited by Cruithne; 03-06-2013 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: Additional info.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:50 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,123,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
No you are not being picky at all you are quite correct. Its an American thing and this is predominantly an American forum. Seriously not meaning offence here but a lot of Americans haven't got a clue about this stuff, so its easier to just say 'British'. People I know here may have a vague idea where Britain is, ie 'somewhere over there' but don't understand how its divided up. A lot of them have no idea that Britain is next to France etc. I'm not being critical here. Before I moved to America, while I knew where many of the states were, particularly the ones at the 'edges', I didn't know all of them and didn't really learn them properly until my son had to learn them at school. It's just sort of a 'need to know' thing. Until you need to know you don't necessarily learn it. I don't know why Americans have taken to refer to English as British instead of just using English. But because they do, it's an easier life not to correct them. I guess its like referring to British as Europeans. It's not wrong, its just a bit of a sweeping category. It's not something I get offended by.
I agree, and I tend to not. It's that fine line before becoming a "know-it-all", that and I'd be correcting on a constant basis. It's not worth the headache, so I just silently roll my eyes.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:59 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,756,157 times
Same with Russia and the Soviet Union. Back when it was the USSR they'd still just call it 'Russia' even if it included much more than Russia.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:04 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,035,830 times
I have some English friends who refer to themselves as British, but that's usually around foreigners.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:29 PM

606 posts, read 2,578,008 times
Because all the British isles ethnicities look alike.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:59 PM

1,756 posts, read 2,508,182 times
What I can say is that here in Brazil the media uses all the time 'Reino Unido' (United Kingdom) for referring to Britain. But the people in general uses 'Inglaterra' (England) with the same meaning, for all the four countries and the british isles, and all the britons are collectively named as 'ingleses' (englishmen).

Old 03-06-2013, 09:04 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,756,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
I have some English friends who refer to themselves as British, but that's usually around foreigners.
They are British. The post is about people equating Britain to England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World