Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2022, 02:31 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Canada is only 3.5% black.

They are very careful about who they allow into their country.
It's true that Canada is very careful about who is allowed to immigrate to Canada. Very careful. Acceptance is based on what qualifications they have to offer to make them assets to Canada.

Qualifiers for eligibility can include things like their intelligence, education, skills, work experience, age, health and several other qualifications and assets they have on offer to bring to the table. But race and skin colour are the least of considerations with regard to qualifications for eligibility. Race and skin colour are irrelevancies and are not disqualifiers.

If an applicant's skin is purple with yellow and green polka dots and his country of origin was somewhere on Mars and his skills and other assets he brings to the table meet the required qualifications then he is just as eligible as some other applicant from the moon who has multi-coloured paisley skin and tentacles on his head who also meets the required qualifications.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2022, 02:55 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,305,088 times
Yes, I believe Australia and Canada have a similar point based immigration system.

Our new federal parliament was sworn in today. It is the most diverse in our history, with a record number of Indigenous members.

Old 07-27-2022, 03:09 AM

27,552 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It's true that Canada is very careful about who is allowed to immigrate to Canada. Very careful. Acceptance is based on what qualifications they have to offer to make them assets to Canada.

Qualifiers for eligibility can include things like their intelligence, education, skills, work experience, age, health and several other qualifications and assets they have on offer to bring to the table. But race and skin colour are the least of considerations with regard to qualifications for eligibility. Race and skin colour are irrelevancies and are not disqualifiers.

If an applicant's skin is purple with yellow and green polka dots and his country of origin was somewhere on Mars and his skills and other assets he brings to the table meet the required qualifications then he is just as eligible as some other applicant from the moon who has multi-coloured paisley skin and tentacles on his head who also meets the required qualifications.

Look, nobody is going to come right out and say, “We don’t like <insert color> people, so we keep them from immigrating to our country.”

No, that is too brash and unsophisticated. People are much more subtle than that in how they go about doing what they do.

Also, I’m not suggesting that Canada is more racist than the United States in this regard. Americans have all kinds of crafty ways of preventing people they deem undesirable from living near them.

This goes for liberals as well as conservatives, by the way. This is a human thing. I only observe and report.

Old 07-27-2022, 09:09 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, and I think a large part of it is the large proportion of foreign-born population and first generation of people born in Australia which is really high up there. Australia is at about 30%, Canada at 21%, and the US at about 15%. This is arguably a much larger difference in terms of the basic communications when it comes to language and idiomatic expressions and the kind of shared understanding of cultures. This also extends out on a city level as Sydney to me felt in practice, as in day to day, extremely diverse in a way that's pretty rare in US cities. Sydney's proportion of foreign-born is actually greater than that of LA and NYC's, and comparable to Vancouver's, but unlike Vancouver, doesn't draw so heavily on one specific region/culture.
Toronto is actually the most diverse city in Canada, even though its foreign-born population % is a few points lower than Vancouver's.

Toronto draws from all over the world moreso than Vancouver does.

Toronto diversity is on par with New York diversity or London diversity.

Old 07-27-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
It seems African countries are the most ethnically diverse in the world:
https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...erse-countries

As for the 3 countries states in this topic's heading, it seems Canada is the most diverse?

Ethnic Fractionalization
Canada : 71%
United States : 49%
Australia : 9.3%
Don't get how they arrive at those numbers but obviously in the case of Canada, French Canadians (who make up a quarter or more of the population ethnically) enter into it and are considered a different ethnicity from the anglos and other groups.

Old 07-27-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charget View Post
Canada had a much more restrictive immigration policy too, all the way until the early 20th century. It only really liberalized, of course, from the 1960s.

Canada always had the English/French split, and received very mild Dutch and German settlement (compared to the US). Canada saw some Slavic settlement in the early 20th century, and some mild Italian and Southern European immigration well after the US did (mostly mid-to-late 20th century), similar to Australia. Then there was the modern, primarily Asian immigration from about 1989.
Though the group referred to as "English" in Canada is actually a mix of English, Scottish and Irish. Scots are actually hugely over-represented in the anglophone population in Canada. Certainly much higher than the 1-to-10 ratio that the populations of Scotland and England would suggest.

Old 07-27-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charget View Post
The responses given to the ACS vary drastically, and much older surveys of the Italian American population have arrived at much higher numbers, whether you like the numbers or not. The upper estimates for the American Italian population, going back to the 70s, top out at somewhere in the 20 million range - that is, regardless, much larger than the Italian Australian population, who’s estimates top out in the 1.0 million range.

You literally understated the total American population and lied about the ratio of the American population that 16.1 million represents, all just to manipulate the Italian American community downward. You went with the lowest current estimate you could find.

I also would doubt that the Italian Australian community is undercounted relative to the Italian American one, given it’s comparative newness and position in a smaller, more homogeneous overall population, in a more geographically confined area.

And there’s a lot more than “negative stereotypical mafia movies” that evidence Italian American culture, what a jealous, desperate claim. The Italian American impact is felt heavily in food, music, film, subculture, fashion, accent, and animation. Everything from Rock and roll and Jazz, the Greaser subculture, to Disney animated films, to popular Hollywood directors, actors, and archetypes, to popular dance styles, all of them have some degree of influence from the Italian American community.
I know both the US and Australia, and Italian-Americans appear much more impactful in American society in general than Italian-Australians down under.

I can't even keep track of how many Italian-American icons there are in all aspects of US life: Madonna, Robert de Niro, Tony Bennett, Frankie Valli, Francis Ford Coppola, Mario Cuomo, Rudy Giuliani, Frank Sinatra, Joe Di Maggio, Dan Marino, Mike Eruzione, Martin Scorcese, Mario Andretti, etc.

The only country that comes as close to having as impactful an Italian diaspora is Argentina.

Old 07-27-2022, 10:08 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
Look, nobody is going to come right out and say, “We don’t like <insert color> people, so we keep them from immigrating to our country.”

No, that is too brash and unsophisticated. People are much more subtle than that in how they go about doing what they do.

Also, I’m not suggesting that Canada is more racist than the United States in this regard. Americans have all kinds of crafty ways of preventing people they deem undesirable from living near them.

This goes for liberals as well as conservatives, by the way. This is a human thing. I only observe and report.
That's true as well, you won't hear that because as I pointed out, race/skin colour is an irrelevancy with regard to eligibility for immigration ....... but you might hear it said "We don't like the < such-and-such group of people from such-and-such country/countries > because they're chronic trouble makers with a perpetual axe-grinding agenda, so we keep them from immigrating to our country in order to keep the "peace, order and good government." (that underlined phrase happens to be Canada's constitutional motto in case anyone is not aware of that.) And more to the point, we're perfectly within our rights to make such determinations because it's ourselves and our country that we're protecting.

Old 07-27-2022, 10:30 AM

88,521 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:

I am a white person who was traveling into Toronto every day and using the subway. Most days I was a minority.

Was discussing Canadian languages with my daughter yesterday, a linguist. Do you know what the top five languages are that are spoken here? In order, English, French, Mandarin, Cantonese, and Punjabi. Hint: Most of the speakers of those last three are not white people.

I'm currently in the Toronto burbs, but when possible, we are several hours north of here in the country at a lake house. The nearest town with a supermarket, 15 miles away, has a population of less than 4,000.

They sell halal meat at the grocery store. The best diner in town is owned by a man from China. There are black people in town, not a lot of them, but they are present. The first time I drove up there, I stopped in the town at a convenience store, where the Sikh owner was behind the counter. Coming from New Jersey, I felt very much at home when I saw him.

I took my cat to the animal hospital just on the outskirts of town. There are two vets. One is from India, the other from Egypt.

My bf receives home healthcare services from the province of Ontario. All of the nurses and PSWs (like CNAs in the US) have been people of color: Asian, Jamaican, African.

Canada is not quite as white as some people appear to think it is, and if its government is making some kind of effort to keep out immigrants of color, it is failing badly.

Old 07-27-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That's true as well, you won't hear that because as I pointed out, race/skin colour is an irrelevancy with regard to eligibility for immigration ....... but you might hear it said "We don't like the < such-and-such group of people from such-and-such country/countries > because they're chronic trouble makers with a perpetual axe-grinding agenda, so we keep them from immigrating to our country in order to keep the "peace, order and good government." (that underlined phrase happens to be Canada's constitutional motto in case anyone is not aware of that.) And more to the point, we're perfectly within our rights to make such determinations because it's ourselves and our country that we're protecting.

We've always been told that Canada's immigration department (which handled both people who want to live here and those who want to visit) is strictly colour-blind and ethnicity-blind. And the reality is that it's lived up to that billing for a long time.

That's why it's a bit shocking to see some of the news coming out about visas for people from certain countries being denied.

For example, students from Africa who want to come to study in Canada (especially in Quebec, and where the institutions have already admitted them) from sub-Saharan countries have sky-high rejection rates from the Canadian immigration department.

There is also this story that is currently in the news.

UNAIDS chief calls out racism after 'people in the South' denied visas to attend conference (in Canada)

http://www.africanews.com/2022/07/27...nd-conference/

Buried in that story is another controversy about the headliner for a major African music festival in Montreal being denied a visa because they were afraid she'd never leave Canada (she's a multi-millionaire artist).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World