Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2022, 03:09 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,303,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
A fair proportion of those are pretty much unknown outside of North America though.

Daniel Ricciardo would have name recognition in any country that follows Formula 1. Tina Arena is probably now more popular in France than Australia where her career peaked in the 1990s. Anthony LaPaglia has acted in more US TV series and movies (e.g. Cold Case, Frasier, Betsy's Wedding) than Australian. Natalie Imgruglia would be reasonably well known in any country that aired Australian soap operas.

And Anthony Albanese, Australia's current Prime Minister, should be known to his Canadian and US counterparts, but apparently is not.....

As for more local influence, people like Carla Zampatti (fashion), Anthony (Nick) Scali (mid market furniture), Paul Bongiorno (political commentator) have been pretty influential in their fields.
Then there are the builders, Abigano who founded the Abi group, the Grollo family among many.
I live in the Sutherland Shire, which tends to be derided not only as the home of Scomo, but as being probably the least diverse area of Sydney. Mark Vincent, the singer came from here and is Italian background, as is our current mayor, Carmelo Pesce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 03:21 AM

Quote:
And even in the Gold Rush days about 25% of arrivals were from continental Europe, Asia and elsewhere. The impact of 19th century Chinese migration is evident in most of Australia. There were even Italian, Dutch, Jamaican and Black American miners involved in the Eureka Stockade, a pivotal moment in Australian political history.

That historical Irish-British divide still reveals itself today. It's a large part of the why the Catholic Church remains one of the largest employers in the country due to its role in healthcare, social services, and education.
Yes, I have a small amount of French and German heritage which dates back to the Gold Rush days.

My mother was not Catholic but managed to get a job, at the age of 15, at MLC. Apparently the staff were overwhelmingly Catholic. She would say how she would wish she was Catholic as all the young people would be forever going to CYA (Catholic Youth Association ) dances and it seems she was not allowed or not welcome.

Young people tend to have no idea how strong the divisions were between Catholics and Protestants.

Old 07-28-2022, 03:59 AM

27,540 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
It seems you are coming from the point of view that the more diversity the better. That is entirely your right though not an opinion universally accepted. Especially by countries such as Japan.
A certain amount of diversity is okay for a society. However, I’m afraid the United States has gone way overboard with this idea. This country has imported tens of millions of Mestizo immigrants with very poor backgrounds and very low educational levels from Latin American countries.

As a result, large sections of the United States are now filled with these immigrants. Public schools that used to be good once upon a time have deteriorated. There are now more Spanish-speaking people in the United States than the entire population of Spain.

I sometimes wonder if Americans have their heads screwed on straight.

Old 07-28-2022, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
A certain amount of diversity is okay for a society. However, I’m afraid the United States has gone way overboard with this idea. This country has imported tens of millions of Mestizo immigrants with very poor backgrounds and very low educational levels from Latin American countries.

As a result, large sections of the United States are now filled with these immigrants. Public schools that used to be good once upon a time have deteriorated. There are now more Spanish-speaking people in the United States than the entire population of Spain.

The top government selective high school in Sydney, James Ruse, has topped the end of high school state wide exams for twenty-six consecutive years now. It has 96% of students from a language background other than English.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:25 AM

26,870 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Quote:
Seems like a measure of how fractured a society is; how likely people are to consider others "different from me" and for that perception to be strong enough to influence how they view or act towards that "different" person. So a high score is not necessarily a good thing.

I can understand how the US has such a high score given its ongoing history of racial issues, but Canada? It could reflect the Francophone-English speaking divide, as it plays out in official languages, broadcasting etc.

I don't think Australia is quite the utopia of togetherness that its score suggests.
One way to look at it might be how areas of the country feel "foreign" to one another.

Out of the three countries we are discussing, Canada is the only one that has a fairly large share of its landmass that feels ostensibly or arguably almost like a foreign country to the majority of the rest of the country's population.

In these discussions we've always struggled to determine how this fits in to the "diversity" debate, but while there are pockets of Australia and US that might be predominantly Indigenous or populated by ethnic or racial minorities that could give off this vibe to some degrees, it's not really on the scale of Quebec, or nearly as self-contained.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:36 AM

1,346 posts, read 472,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Unfortunately this is a reality that isn't generally recognised. Populations aren't just interchangeable cogs in a machine that you can take out and replace. Variations do exist in the background, culture, and circumstances of peoples depending on the region that can make it more prohibitive to allow for the educational sector of a nation to excel. As it stands with the bulk of migrants pouring into the United States the trend is proving to be going downward instead of upward. Can that change over generations? I hope so but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:59 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Toronto is actually the most diverse city in Canada, even though its foreign-born population % is a few points lower than Vancouver's.

Toronto draws from all over the world moreso than Vancouver does.

Toronto diversity is on par with New York diversity or London diversity.
Yes, Toronto is more diverse in terms of the mix of places people are from and on a per capita level is maybe even higher than NYC, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charget View Post
You're always casually biased against America in any and every way.

You people have your pet strategies you use to disadvantage the US in any given argument.

"% foreign born" is not a useful statistic, especially not to compare small populations with shorter and less diverse immigrant histories to larger populations with longer and more diverse immigrant histories.

This obfuscates the fact that the US has always had more immigration than Australia, and it's immigration and settlement patterns have always been more diverse than Australia's - but you could easily ignore this as the American population gets larger, because then any proportion of foreign born, or of a given immigrant group, will get smaller - Australia's will stay larger because it's a much smaller and more homogeneous society and it takes much smaller immigrant populations to make a "large" proportional impact.

Australia's foreign born population has long been dominated by people from the UK, for example - it doesn't really evidence a diverse society at all.
Weird to talk about my posting history for someone who just registered on this forum. Not so weird that there seems to be a familiar kneejerk response despite being a new account.

In what way did you think the post you're quoting was looking at that diversity in a favorable manner? I didn't put a value judgment on it and I've certainly expressed, as you perhaps well know given your experience on this forum, how much I personally like Taiwan and Japan and those do not have high foreign-born populations. So how did you come to think what I said was biased against America? If there was a topic about a country that had the closest size to Australia and I answered Australia, is that biased? If I didn't answer America for a topic about the country with the most Hindus, is that also biased against America?

What is wrong with you? What is so messed up with you that you compulsively have to make these ridiculous new accounts and posts in defense of some make-believe slight? I guess you should at least feel good in that there are many of your compatriots all around the world. Your compulsive foolishness is an brotherhood that's active in Chinese forums doing the same for China, Japanese forums doing the same for Japan, and probably all around the world. You guys are almost a nation onto yourselves!

Old 07-28-2022, 10:01 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryvete View Post
Unfortunately this is a reality that isn't generally recognised. Populations aren't just interchangeable cogs in a machine that you can take out and replace. Variations do exist in the background, culture, and circumstances of peoples depending on the region that can make it more prohibitive to allow for the educational sector of a nation to excel. As it stands with the bulk of migrants pouring into the United States the trend is proving to be going downward instead of upward. Can that change over generations? I hope so but I'm not holding my breath.

This is foolishness. The poor, uneducated and bizarre compared to mainstream America has been an ongoing thing for a while. The Germans were another breed. The Irish were, too, so poor, dirty and impoverished and speaking gibberish. The Eastern Europeans were awful. The Italians were horrendous. This has been going on for a while now and these were waves where there was truly a different level of poverty, hygiene, education, etc. and in as high or higher proportions to the population than what we have now.

Old 07-28-2022, 10:11 AM

5,944 posts, read 2,869,362 times
I'm American , our familys ancestors are Swedish. America loving all others are. In second place..

Old 07-28-2022, 10:23 AM

1,346 posts, read 472,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This is foolishness. The poor, uneducated and bizarre compared to mainstream America has been an ongoing thing for a while. The Germans were another breed. The Irish were, too, so poor, dirty and impoverished and speaking gibberish. The Eastern Europeans were awful. The Italians were horrendous. This has been going on for a while now and these were waves where there was truly a different level of poverty, hygiene, education, etc. and in as high or higher proportions to the population than what we have now.
Several important factors to account for here. One, the Germans, Italians, and Eastern Europeans were limited in their ability to travel to the United States by way of seafaring across the Atlantic. Hispanic migrants are able to traverse several countries and physically enter the United States by a twofold continental collective of nations with untold waves of more expressing interest in relocating here.

Second, the European immigrants coming here didn't have a continuous link to their home nations. The closest equivalent would be a cultural microcosm like Little Italy or some small town in the Midwest. Hispanics have a continuous inundation thanks to geographical proximity and accommodations made for them in their language out in public.

It's an apples to oranges type of comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World