Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2022, 03:44 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Strangely enough, this change in American society occurred AFTER Jim Crow laws were abolished and the Civil Rights movement happened.
Not strange. Economists and sociologists have studied this and written about the forces behind this for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2022, 05:40 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,024,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
The smaller Regional Cities in Australia are dominated by English Language and people of UK/Irish and German Ancestry . The people who do not fall into those categories however are quite diverse.

Like Toowoomba QLD (pop 170,000) which is the largest non coastal city in Australia after Canberra, 86% English speaking, 214 ancestries and 146 Languages.

Ballarat Victoria (Pop 115,000) is the only other non coastal city with more than 100.000 people, 88% English Speaking, 113 languages and 191 ancestries.

Townsville QLD (Pop 190,000) 84% English Speaking, 162 languages 223 ancestries.

etc
Well I have a friend who whole family is Italian, she was born here but she is from a regional city in Australia. She says the Italian community exist there and there are many Italians in the regional city where she lives. Even a cemetery at her reginal Australian city has an Italian section. BTW Italians are the third biggest immigrants from Europe, after the UK and Ireland. BTW Australia current Prime Minister has a Italian sounding surname Albanese, because the Prime Minister father is Italian.

Anyway reginal cities and even towns have loads of Asian people now too. When I go to the sevice stations, and a lot of shops in regional cities and country towns even a few hours from a main city, many of the people that serve me are Asians.

BTW a lot of regional areas even where English is spoken as a first language are Aborigines. An example is Wellington and at leasst 91% of the people speak English as a first language, however Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people made up 27.8% of the populationhttps://www.abs.gov.au/census/find-c...%2044%20years.

Dubbo is one of the biggest regional cities in NSW and a vast majority of people speak English at In Dubbo, 3.8% of people spoke a language other than English at home in 2016. However I encountered many Aborigines there when I was there last. They seem to only speak English.

I also been to WAlgett and it seems everyone seems to speak English there and I believe a vast majority of people speak English there, but it seems at least half the people there are Aboriginal on my impression of my visit there. Yet they had segregation there many years ago and the Local RSL and pool then refused to let in Aborigines there. Even Aborignal servicemen who served in wars were refused admission to that RSL. However when Aborignal protesters and their supporters stormed WAllget in the 1960s, and it brought publicity around the world and showed the world then that Australia was no different in segregation as South Africa and the USA Southern states.

Anyway I have visited an Aborignal church in Sydney several times. Everyone there spoke English as a first language, even if they were very old. However that church did have a program to teach people Aboriginal languages which I thought was very good. They were all friendly and got to know some of the Aborigines that went to that church and was one of the few non Aborigines in that church.

I think every Australian even if they are migrants should at least should get to know an Aboriginal person and at least visit an Aboriginal organisation.

ONe has to go to Northern Territory to find speakers of Aborigines that speak Aborigines as a first language.

Last edited by herenow1; 08-10-2022 at 05:59 PM..

Old 08-11-2022, 08:01 AM

27,540 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Not strange. Economists and sociologists have studied this and written about the forces behind this for decades.
Sociologists must have quite an explanation for the skyrocketing surge of out-of-wedlock births, violent crime and mass incarceration that only happened after the Civil Rights movement in America.

I wonder what the truth is.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:40 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,860,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Sociologists must have quite an explanation for the skyrocketing surge of out-of-wedlock births
Out of wedlock births on their own aren't necessarily a problem. It depends on the parent(s) or guardians and how much love and support the child is getting. Now if the child is not getting that love and support, that is a different matter. There are also plenty of wedlock births where the child is not getting the love and support they need as well.

The topic is worthy of its own deeper dive discussion.

Old 08-11-2022, 05:42 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,494,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Well I have a friend who whole family is Italian, she was born here but she is from a regional city in Australia. She says the Italian community exist there and there are many Italians in the regional city where she lives. Even a cemetery at her reginal Australian city has an Italian section. BTW Italians are the third biggest immigrants from Europe, after the UK and Ireland. BTW Australia current Prime Minister has a Italian sounding surname Albanese, because the Prime Minister father is Italian.

Anyway reginal cities and even towns have loads of Asian people now too. When I go to the sevice stations, and a lot of shops in regional cities and country towns even a few hours from a main city, many of the people that serve me are Asians.
Asians certainly are fast becoming the life blood of small town Australia, from an essential services perspective. The small town my parents live in has two doctors one is Vietnamese the other Sri Lankan.

In southern qld your typical small town west of the range would be 5 to 15% aboriginal , some are much higher of course. I

Old 08-11-2022, 06:52 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,024,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Asians certainly are fast becoming the life blood of small town Australia, from an essential services perspective. The small town my parents live in has two doctors one is Vietnamese the other Sri Lankan.

In southern qld your typical small town west of the range would be 5 to 15% aboriginal , some are much higher of course. I
Well the Government does encourage immigrants to settle in the regional areas and they give incentives to live there, especially if they are doctors, teachers and engineers. A lot of them that would do that would be Asians.

I think Asians are more likely to be businessowners than White Australians. That why when even when I visit country towns a lot of shop owners and people that work at service stations tend to be Asian. It the same case as the big cities too.

BTW Chinese people are about 5% of the Australian population. NOt all of them were from China, and many, many from them from other Chinese communities in places such as Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam and Indonesia.

I did live in a region for awhile near Toowoomba and I noticed a lot of pacific islanders there. Plus European backpackers and the are working on the farms there. they are doing the job Australians don't really want to do. It the same with the Mexican farm workers in the USA as they can't get enough Americans to work on their farms.

BTW Toowoomba now has a mosque to serve its 2000 strong Muslim community and I can imagine most of them have origns from Muslim communities. However the mosque was burned down a few years ago. It is no longer a illy white community it used to behttps://www.thechronicle.com.au/news...443af7c23d0480.

BTW the muslims I have encountered tend to be highly educated and it not unusual encountering a muslim that is a business owner in my region. They can be tolerance of any thing expect if you insult their prophet.

Old 08-16-2022, 10:50 PM

12,154 posts, read 7,975,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwoodisanissue View Post
...this is just mindless nonsense.

Rural and suburban Canada is certifiably less diverse than rural and suburban America. It's not up for deliberation, it's the data. It's basic history.

Canada is much more white than the US is, and it has no rurally-based, historic racial groups like African Americans or Hispanic Americans. It just has whites and natives. A supermajority of it's racial minorities live in Canada's 5 largest urban areas.

Let me emphasize my shock: you seriously think towns/cities outside major urban areas in Canada are diverse, and not in America?

What "cities outside major urban areas" does Canada have?

Again, not even close. Canadian cities and towns are head-for-head less diverse than their American equivalents, and are certainly much whiter. Ditto Canadian vs American rural areas.
You are underplaying diversity in Rural Canada. Ie, Indigenous Peoples etc

A good amount of rural America has no diversity.

Can I put thats facts, not up for debate, no deliberation now?

Old 08-17-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Well the Government does encourage immigrants to settle in the regional areas and they give incentives to live there, especially if they are doctors, teachers and engineers. A lot of them that would do that would be Asians.

I think Asians are more likely to be businessowners than White Australians. That why when even when I visit country towns a lot of shop owners and people that work at service stations tend to be Asian. It the same case as the big cities too.

BTW Chinese people are about 5% of the Australian population. NOt all of them were from China, and many, many from them from other Chinese communities in places such as Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam and Indonesia.

I did live in a region for awhile near Toowoomba and I noticed a lot of pacific islanders there. Plus European backpackers and the are working on the farms there. they are doing the job Australians don't really want to do. It the same with the Mexican farm workers in the USA as they can't get enough Americans to work on their farms.

BTW Toowoomba now has a mosque to serve its 2000 strong Muslim community and I can imagine most of them have origns from Muslim communities. However the mosque was burned down a few years ago. It is no longer a illy white community it used to behttps://www.thechronicle.com.au/news...443af7c23d0480.

BTW the muslims I have encountered tend to be highly educated and it not unusual encountering a muslim that is a business owner in my region. They can be tolerance of any thing expect if you insult their prophet.
Cool, I went to TGS and the USQ during the 1990's, so know Toowoomba very well. Though like every other place in Australia i am sure it is changing.

About 9000 aboriginals in Toowoomba, they have been their for a long time. However the census says their are more than 2000 people from Iraq in the City, they are certainly new.

Old 08-21-2022, 10:27 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Just for interest:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...erse-countries

Old 08-21-2022, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
This was discussed a few pages back, its more a measure of how divided a country is on ethic or ancestral lines, Which is why Canada (with Quebec), Andorra (a co-principality, between France and Spain) and Belgium (which has two main competing language groups who do not get along with each other, with a neutral territory (Brussels) in the middle) are so high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World