Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2022, 09:21 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,014,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I am surprised that African countries are the most diverse in the world. I guess it got to do with linguistics, culture and religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2022, 12:49 PM

6,446 posts, read 4,025,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
I am surprised that African countries are the most diverse in the world. I guess it got to do with linguistics, culture and religion.
Yep, many regions of Africa you can't travel 100 miles without the language and culture changing significantly if not drastically at times. Religious diversity really depends on the country, because a lot of countries are now just a mix of Christian sects or Islamic. Although there are a few where the religious diversity is really high.

My Grandma could speak 4-6 languages but didn't know how to read or write that sort of stuff is pretty typical in some regions. There are a few semi-homogenous countries like Rwanda, Burundi, Botswana and Somalia. But even those countries, such as Somalia have insane hyper-diversity within their ethnic group such as Somali Bantus, and various Somali tribes and subcultures being extremely different from the central ethnic identity. Rwanda itself has Hutu, Tutsi and Twa people's and now 500,000 immigrants from across Africa all adding to the mix, so it's society is changing, even though Rwandan/Burundian people are technically one meta-ethnicity that speak the same language, and follow the same culture.

In fact something that isn't really known is some of the countries with the biggest immigrant populations are in Africa with Ivory Coast having 2,500,000+ immigrants and South Africa having 4.2 million+ immigrants mostly from other African countries, but South Africa has a decent population from outside the continent.

Old 08-22-2022, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Yep, many regions of Africa you can't travel 100 miles without the language and culture changing significantly if not drastically at times. Religious diversity really depends on the country, because a lot of countries are now just a mix of Christian sects or Islamic. Although there are a few where the religious diversity is really high.

My Grandma could speak 4-6 languages but didn't know how to read or write that sort of stuff is pretty typical in some regions. There are a few semi-homogenous countries like Rwanda, Burundi, Botswana and Somalia. But even those countries, such as Somalia have insane hyper-diversity within their ethnic group such as Somali Bantus, and various Somali tribes and subcultures being extremely different from the central ethnic identity. Rwanda itself has Hutu, Tutsi and Twa people's and now 500,000 immigrants from across Africa all adding to the mix, so it's society is changing, even though Rwandan/Burundian people are technically one meta-ethnicity that speak the same language, and follow the same culture.

In fact something that isn't really known is some of the countries with the biggest immigrant populations are in Africa with Ivory Coast having 2,500,000+ immigrants and South Africa having 4.2 million+ immigrants mostly from other African countries, but South Africa has a decent population from outside the continent.
With the 4-6 languages, were they much different from each other like French and English is or Japanese and Korean?

Yes South Africa is very diverse and its cities you would hear many languages, and not just the 11 official languages spoken there. From what I hear much of the xenophobia in South Africa is not so much on Whites on Blacks, but South African blacks on Blacks from other African countries. It is very sad.

Today one of the biggest immigrant groups here in Australia are South Africans. Most of them are White. Yet more and more non white South Africans such as Chinese, Indian, Coloured and Black have moved here too. Yet New Zealand is a very popular destination for South Africans too and more South Africans are going to move to New Zealand this year, than the total amount of immigrants that moved to New Zealand n 2021.

Within just the first half of 2022, between January and May, 11,300 South Africans have had their residency applications approved for processing in New Zealand.

This far outweighs the number of people that moved to the island nation over the whole of 2021 at 8,300.

According to data from the UN, New Zealand is the fourth most popular destination for South African expats, preceded by the UK, Australia and the United States.https://businesstech.co.za/news/gove...ia-and-the-uk/

With the highly educated South Africans desire to emigrate within the next few years the stats are as follows: Just over 11% of white South Africans, indicated a slightly higher desire to emigrate, they were closely followed by black South Africans at 9.73%, Indian (9.76%) and coloured at 8.96% of coloured South Africans signalled their intention to emigrate.https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-afr...e-170696991743

Last edited by herenow1; 08-22-2022 at 07:07 PM..

Old 08-23-2022, 04:51 PM

27,366 posts, read 28,438,820 times
Do Canada or Australia implement affirmative action for any of their minorities like the United States does for blacks and Hispanics?

Old 08-23-2022, 04:58 PM

5,039 posts, read 7,454,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Do Canada or Australia implement affirmative action for any of their minorities like the United States does for blacks and Hispanics?
Australia dose for its Aboriginals, most certainly.

There are also many non-profit organizations, volunteer groups or government funded initiatives to help documented refugees adjust to life in Australia, if you count that as affirmative action.

My sister in Law used to work for this one.

https://www.multiculturalaustralia.o...es_and_support

Last edited by danielsa1775; 08-23-2022 at 05:12 PM..

Old 08-23-2022, 06:54 PM

6,446 posts, read 4,025,629 times
Quote:
With the 4-6 languages, were they much different from each other like French and English is or Japanese and Korean?

Yes South Africa is very diverse and its cities you would hear many languages, and not just the 11 official languages spoken there. From what I hear much of the xenophobia in South Africa is not so much on Whites on Blacks, but South African blacks on Blacks from other African countries. It is very sad.

Today one of the biggest immigrant groups here in Australia are South Africans. Most of them are White. Yet more and more non white South Africans such as Chinese, Indian, Coloured and Black have moved here too. Yet New Zealand is a very popular destination for South Africans too and more South Africans are going to move to New Zealand this year, than the total amount of immigrants that moved to New Zealand n 2021.

Within just the first half of 2022, between January and May, 11,300 South Africans have had their residency applications approved for processing in New Zealand.

This far outweighs the number of people that moved to the island nation over the whole of 2021 at 8,300.

According to data from the UN, New Zealand is the fourth most popular destination for South African expats, preceded by the UK, Australia and the United States.https://businesstech.co.za/news/gove...ia-and-the-uk/

With the highly educated South Africans desire to emigrate within the next few years the stats are as follows: Just over 11% of white South Africans, indicated a slightly higher desire to emigrate, they were closely followed by black South Africans at 9.73%, Indian (9.76%) and coloured at 8.96% of coloured South Africans signalled their intention to emigrate.https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-afr...e-170696991743
She spoke Ijaw, English, Yoruba and Igbo (some other's as well that are smaller languages from SW Nigeria) which all sound nothing alike remotely, so I would argue probably as spacious if not moreso than French and English. Ijaw for example is the same language family as Yoruba and Igbo, but that's the extent of relation in the sense that Hindi and English are also in the same Language family, besides being in close geographic proximity to the Igbo language. The Yoruba and Igbo languages are two ends of the Volta-Congo languages which is equivalent to Romance or Germanic language groupings.

Non of these languages are mutually intelligible.

Old 08-24-2022, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
She spoke Ijaw, English, Yoruba and Igbo (some other's as well that are smaller languages from SW Nigeria) which all sound nothing alike remotely, so I would argue probably as spacious if not moreso than French and English. Ijaw for example is the same language family as Yoruba and Igbo, but that's the extent of relation in the sense that Hindi and English are also in the same Language family, besides being in close geographic proximity to the Igbo language. The Yoruba and Igbo languages are two ends of the Volta-Congo languages which is equivalent to Romance or Germanic language groupings.

Non of these languages are mutually intelligible.
That is amazing. I see that African countries are more linguistically diverse compared to to a Western nation.

Old 08-24-2022, 08:46 AM

27,366 posts, read 28,438,820 times
Quote:
That is amazing. I see that African countries are more linguistically diverse compared to to a Western nation.
An estimated 350 to 430 languages are spoken in the United States.

I don't know how an African country is more linguistically diverse than that, unless you're only talking about "homegrown" languages.

Old 08-24-2022, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
An estimated 350 to 430 languages are spoken in the United States.

I don't know how an African country is more linguistically diverse than that, unless you're only talking about "homegrown" languages.
I am only referring to homegrown languages however it is not always the case. However the most linguistically diverse country is Papua New Guinea which has 850 spoken languages there.

Old 08-24-2022, 01:33 PM

30 posts, read 24,297 times
Quote:
I think geography has influenced the ethnic and cultural diversity in the African continent, from what I glean, maybe this isn’t the primary reason, but it seems to be an important factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World