Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2022, 01:42 PM

30 posts, read 24,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
An estimated 350 to 430 languages are spoken in the United States.

I don't know how an African country is more linguistically diverse than that, unless you're only talking about "homegrown" languages.
There are likely more bilingual, trilingual, and multi-lingual people in the African continent than in North America.

I don’t have the confidence to make that comparison with Europe. Some European language “families” make it somewhat easy to become multi-lingual in Europe (for example due to similarities among Latin-based “romance” languages). Many Africans are familiar with European languages from the colonial era regimes and their influence over education systems and media for generations, a bit ironically. And on top of this, there are the many regional and local languages, plus regional indigenous “lingua francas” plus the current popularity of English as an internet and entertainment and trade/business lingua franca.

I live in central Canada and I’ve met quite a few multilingual people born and raised in Africa. West Africa, Horn of Africa, the Maghreb countries, etc., it is undoubtedly linguistically diverse. On a practical level, it would make a lot of sense to be multi-lingual if you live in Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 02:06 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Quote:
An estimated 350 to 430 languages are spoken in the United States.

I don't know how an African country is more linguistically diverse than that, unless you're only talking about "homegrown" languages.
Nigeria by itself is home to 150-500 languages, that are native to Nigeria. Once you include Arabic, English, Mandarin it’s very much in competition with the U.S as far as linguistic diversity. It also doesn’t have as dominant as a language as the U.S where 90%+ of the population can speak some sort of English. In Nigeria something along the lines of 50-65% of people can speak English as either a first or second language.

Outside of that maybe 30% speak Hausa and roughly similar or less speak Igbo and Yoruba as first and second languages.

Old 08-24-2022, 02:29 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Do Canada or Australia implement affirmative action for any of their minorities like the United States does for blacks and Hispanics?
Canada does but generally only for public sector employment, for people who are visible minority, Indigenous or disabled.

We do not do this for university admissions.

Old 08-24-2022, 03:19 PM

3,461 posts, read 2,786,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Canada does but generally only for public sector employment, for people who are visible minority, Indigenous or disabled.

We do not do this for university admissions.
So there is no quota to limit admissions of Asian Canadians at McGill?

Old 08-24-2022, 03:48 PM

30 posts, read 24,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
So there is no quota to limit admissions of Asian Canadians at McGill?
No, where did you hear that? Are you thinking of the quota limiting Jewish students in the early to mid 1900s? That was abolished thankfully.

Old 08-24-2022, 04:56 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
They take language stats in great detail in the Australian census, there were 429 different languages spoken at home in Australia, including 183 indigenous Australian languages, 148 of those are confined to small family groups of less than 100 people.

28% of Australians speak a language other than English at home they are Virtually all bilingual, only about 900,000 people or 3.4% of Australia's population reported having trouble speaking English.

Old 08-25-2022, 06:36 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDoo8 View Post
No, where did you hear that? Are you thinking of the quota limiting Jewish students in the early to mid 1900s? That was abolished thankfully.
In the United States, Asians have the highest standardized test scores of any racial group.

If their numbers were not cut off significantly, then they would probably make up the majority of students at universities like Harvard, MIT or Stanford.

Diversity is a fascinating thing.

Old 08-25-2022, 08:20 PM

98 posts, read 37,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
I am surprised that African countries are the most diverse in the world. I guess it got to do with linguistics, culture and religion.
Stop taking this link seriously. It's a measurement of self-reported cultural stratification within countries. Not ethnic, racial, linguistic etc diversity.

Old 08-25-2022, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
You are underplaying diversity in Rural Canada. Ie, Indigenous Peoples etc

A good amount of rural America has no diversity.

Can I put thats facts, not up for debate, no deliberation now?
No, I am not underplaying it, and I pointed out that rural Canada has indigenous populations, but so does the US, where indigenous populations tend to be rural, and as I pointed out, the rural US is just objectively more diverse than rural Canada.

"No diversity" is relative in the context of that sentence. By the standards of most global rural regions, rural America is quite diverse.

Old 08-25-2022, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
This was discussed a few pages back, its more a measure of how divided a country is on ethic or ancestral lines, Which is why Canada (with Quebec), Andorra (a co-principality, between France and Spain) and Belgium (which has two main competing language groups who do not get along with each other, with a neutral territory (Brussels) in the middle) are so high.
BruSan has posted that multiple times, no matter how someone points this out, because it satisfies his world view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World