Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 06:04 PM

26,756 posts, read 37,644,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fikatid View Post
Do you mean if someone puts Canadian, then he or she can't put any other ancestries? Or do you mean people would write "English-Canadian," instead of English, and gets counted as both? and in the US "English-American" would counted towards American only? Perhaps I am not too familiar with these surveys. We don't usually use -Swedish here for example to describe someone of similar origin, although our population hasn't historically been nearly as diverse, with a few notable exceptions.
I am not 100% sure but I think you can put Canadian + English. But not English-Canadian. Not French-Canadian. But French + Canadian. Or French + Chinese.

Interestingly enough the U.S. census has separate categories for ''French'' and ''French Canadian". In places like northern New England and Louisiana you have high numbers for both of these categories, even though most of these people are actually French Canadian in origin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 06:29 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,334,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am not 100% sure but I think you can put Canadian + English. But not English-Canadian. Not French-Canadian. But French + Canadian. Or French + Chinese.

Interestingly enough the U.S. census has separate categories for ''French'' and ''French Canadian". In places like northern New England and Louisiana you have high numbers for both of these categories, even though most of these people are actually French Canadian in origin.
Apparently it changes with each census. This is about the 2006 census.

"Respondents were asked to specify as many origins as applicable. Four lines were provided for write-in responses and up to six ethnic origins were retained. Refer to Appendix C for the 2006 Census ethnic origin classification and a comparison of ethnic origins disseminated in 2006, 2001 and 1996."

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...op030a-eng.cfm

Now who knows. With the changes Harper has made to the census, there will be a lot less information gathered.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Apparently it changes with each census. This is about the 2006 census.

"Respondents were asked to specify as many origins as applicable. Four lines were provided for write-in responses and up to six ethnic origins were retained. Refer to Appendix C for the 2006 Census ethnic origin classification and a comparison of ethnic origins disseminated in 2006, 2001 and 1996."

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...op030a-eng.cfm

Now who knows. With the changes Harper has made to the census, there will be a lot less information gathered.
For a variety of reasons, our census is becoming more and more of a joke and of less and less use to researchers. It's unfortunate.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:17 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,691,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fikatid View Post
Do you mean if someone puts Canadian, then he or she can't put any other ancestries? Or do you mean people would write "English-Canadian," instead of English, and gets counted as both? and in the US "English-American" would counted towards American only? Perhaps I am not too familiar with these surveys. We don't usually use -Swedish here for example to describe someone of similar origin, although our population hasn't historically been nearly as diverse, with a few notable exceptions.
If you write "English American" only English gets reported in the US, yes. If you write "English Canadian" or "English Australian" Canadian or Australian get recorded. Hence the much higher percentage of "Canadian" and "Australian" ancestry in their respective censuses.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:31 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,731,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
If you write "English American" only English gets reported in the US, yes. If you write "English Canadian" or "English Australian" Canadian or Australian get recorded. Hence the much higher percentage of "Canadian" and "Australian" ancestry in their respective censuses.
Here in Aus you don't get a choice of a hyphenated ethnicity. But you can select multiple ethnicities, which is why the total count of responses is greater than the population, even though its an optional question that not all answer. A majority of respondents select more than one ethnicity.

Last edited by Richard1098; 10-10-2014 at 08:58 PM..

Old 10-10-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
In Canada at least, you'd have to do a write-in of "English Canadian" at the bottom of the page on the blank line as it's not one of the choices printed on the form that you can check off. I suspect that relatively few people (almost none) do so given all of the other options that are ''close enough'' for people who feel they are "English Canadian".

Old 10-10-2014, 09:22 PM

4,370 posts, read 7,016,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Here are some interesting maps created by Slate (complete article: Language map: What’s the most popular language in your state? )

**None of these images are mine**

This one is to be expected....

This, is where things get interesting though...
The map shows French as the #2 foreign language in West Virginia ??? THAT's REALLY WIERD. Why would any French people possibly want to settle in West Virginia? Unless they were brides of returning American servicemen. A century ago, there was some Italian immigration to West Virginia, who have all assimilated by now - but French ?? Who are these people ? Or could they be Francophone Africans, or Canadians - but what motive could they possibly have for settling in West Virginia, either ?

The map also shows Russian as the #2 foreign language in Oregon ??? Never heard of any Russians at all settling in Oregon. When did this happen?? I would have guessed Chinese or Tagalog (the earlier wave of Japanese having completely assimilated by now). I know Portland used to have a large Jewish population (such as Mel Blanc, the voice of cartoon characters) but they would have assimilated, very long ago.

French the #2 foreign language in Maryland ??? Could many of these be recent African immigrants? Others could be employed in D.C. at various foreign Embassies (including African), restaurants, the World Bank, or International Monetary Fund, I suppose.

German the #2 foreign language in Tennessee and Alabama?? Are some of these Amish settlers -- or executives at the Automotive factories in those states ?

Last edited by slowlane3; 10-10-2014 at 09:39 PM..

Old 10-10-2014, 09:49 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,691,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In Canada at least, you'd have to do a write-in of "English Canadian" at the bottom of the page on the blank line as it's not one of the choices printed on the form that you can check off. I suspect that relatively few people (almost none) do so given all of the other options that are ''close enough'' for people who feel they are "English Canadian".
You don't "check off" your ethnic origin (ancestry) in Canada, though you do for race (or visible minority group). You are to write in all origins that apply, though examples are given on the side. Plenty of people put in Canadian and something else.

http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/NHS-ENM/2...pdf/N1-eng.pdf

Old 10-10-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
You don't "check off" your ethnic origin (ancestry) in Canada, though you do for race (or visible minority group). You are to write in all origins that apply, though examples are given on the side. Plenty of people put in Canadian and something else.

http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/NHS-ENM/2...pdf/N1-eng.pdf
This is new then I think. I did not get the long form last time but did get it in the past where there were a series of options to be checked off and a blank line at the bottom you could write in. I remember that when StatsCan bowed to pressure and put Canadian at the top of the list to check off that's when the number of so-called ethnic Canadians surged. I guess ''Canadian'' has entered people's minds now so many are writing it in those boxes.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:52 PM

5,021 posts, read 7,426,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Here in Aus you don't get a choice of a hyphenated ethnicity. But you can select multiple ethnicities, which is why the total count of responses is greater than the population, even though its an optional question that not all answer. A majority of respondents select more than one ethnicity.
About 1/3rd of respondents on the Australian census choose more than one ethnicity, however the people most likely to choose more than one are people of old European Stock

English 53.5% of respondents choose more than one ancestry.
Irish 80.4%
Scottish 78.3%
German 75.4%

as opposed to the newer immigrant groups like

Chinese 16.2% of respondents choose more than one ancestry.
Indian 12.9%
etc

No doubt a disproportionately large number of multiple responses would be English/Irish, English/Scottish etc etc.

T
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World