Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-15-2014, 05:45 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
26,734 posts, read 37,571,129 times
Reputation: 11512

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
No, they aren't. Ulster-Scots (or Scotch-Irish as we call them here) are a small part of the Irish-American community. The majority came from the Republic (as it is known today). Most Scotch-Irish live from the central Pennsylvania mountains to the North Carolina/Tennessee border. A lot of the white kids I went to school with were Ulster-Scots whose great grandparents came to PA from Belfast, including one of my friends.
Aren't Ulster-Scots (Scotch-Irish) are fairly large and influential group in this part of the US, even if they don't necessarily associate with the stereotypical Irish-American identity? I would surmise that most Scotch-Irish in the US primarily identify as Americans and that's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-16-2014, 02:28 PM
 
399 posts, read 813,048 times
Reputation: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Aren't Ulster-Scots (Scotch-Irish) are fairly large and influential group in this part of the US, even if they don't necessarily associate with the stereotypical Irish-American identity? I would surmise that most Scotch-Irish in the US primarily identify as Americans and that's it.
They identify themselves as Americans but I also think many consider themselves as Irish because that's how they were called before the mass migration of Irish Catholics. In 1980, Irish was the second white ancestry in the south after English and if you look at the history, most Irish Catholics went in northern states, not the south. Even today, Irish is the largest ancestry in Arkansas and surpassed American and English ancestry in some states such as West Virginia, Oklahoma and Texas. But it's hard to tell nowadays because Irish Americans are spread everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2021, 06:47 AM
 
Location: Australia
3,602 posts, read 2,260,063 times
Reputation: 6931
At least you have found a quite interesting but very old thread to bring up with your new name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2022, 04:27 AM
 
50 posts, read 24,903 times
Reputation: 34
Reviving this thread again.

The US is definitely the least British of the three.

It has much more distant British ancestry and it's much less noticeable. The US has more of everything than Canada and Australia and is a lot more diverse than either. You don't get the question of White/Black/Native/Latino/Asian admixture in Canada and Australia like you do in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2022, 05:11 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
27,166 posts, read 28,230,653 times
Reputation: 24711
Quote:
Originally Posted by charget View Post
The US has more of everything than Canada and Australia and is a lot more diverse than either. You don't get the question of White/Black/Native/Latino/Asian admixture in Canada and Australia like you do in the US.
This also means that the DIFFERENCES between racial groups are far more noticeable in the United States than they are in those other countries.

The United States is a real life experiment in racial diversity. The land of Guinea pigs is fascinating indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2022, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Brisbane
5,021 posts, read 7,413,717 times
Reputation: 4476
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
This also means that the DIFFERENCES between racial groups are far more noticeable in the United States than they are in those other countries.

The United States is a real life experiment in racial diversity. The land of Guinea pigs is fascinating indeed.
Bingo, for offical reasons its usually asked to assist marginalised groups, in Australia one of the first questions you will ever be asked in forms regarding health, welfare and employment is if you are aboriginal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2022, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Brisbane
5,021 posts, read 7,413,717 times
Reputation: 4476
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Australia’s immigrant population is of course the lowest in total numbers but proportionately is actually the highest of the three. The countries/area of birth of Australia's population in 2011 were.

Australia 73.5%
North West Europe 7%
Southern Europe 3.5%
South East Asia 3.5%
North East Asia 3%
New Zealand and The Pacific Islands 3%
Central and South Asia 2.5%
Middle East and Northern Africa 1.5%
Sub-Saharan Africa 1.5%
North and South America 1%

Of course up until the end of WW2 , the Australian government did its very best to keep its population as white and British as possible, to that time the population came almost exclusively came from the British isles ( with a few German’s thrown in). Hence the reason why European Australians lack the big diversity in ancestries that European Canadians and Americans do.

Asians did not really start immigrating to Australia in large numbers until the Vietnamese Refugee Crises in early 1980’s.

I don't really have any startling facts for you really, I might be able to dig something up
Seem a decade old thread has been revived, this is Australia by area of birth in 2021, 10 years after the original post.

Australia 70.65%
North West Europe 6.35%
Southern/Eastern Europe 2.36%
South East Asia 4.46%
North East Asia 3.64%
Central and South Asia 4.74%
North Africa and Middle East 1.91%
Sub-Saharan Africa 1.75%
New Zealand and The Pacific Islands 2.9%
North and South America 1.33%

All up in 2021 their were 320 nominated Ancestries, 429 spoken languages, and 3.2% of the population Identified as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islanders, and 28% of the population spoke a language other than Engish at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2022, 07:13 PM
 
1,764 posts, read 1,002,715 times
Reputation: 1940
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Seem a decade old thread has been revived, this is Australia by area of birth in 2021, 10 years after the original post.

Australia 70.65%
North West Europe 6.35%
Southern/Eastern Europe 2.36%
South East Asia 4.46%
North East Asia 3.64%
Central and South Asia 4.74%
North Africa and Middle East 1.91%
Sub-Saharan Africa 1.75%
New Zealand and The Pacific Islands 2.9%
North and South America 1.33%

All up in 2021 their were 320 nominated Ancestries, 429 spoken languages, and 3.2% of the population Identified as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islanders, and 28% of the population spoke a language other than Engish at home.
Most Sub-Saharan people here in Australia are European background, especially from South African and Zimbabwe. A majority of them are of British origin. A large majority of people of North West Europe background are from UK and Ireland and it has always been the case since the colonial days. But immigration has changed and a majority of people immigrating to Australia are from Asian countries. Plus you have so many international students coming to study in Australia. A majority will eventually live permanenty in Australia and a large majority of them are from Asia.

I notice the internatinal students are not poor, and also I admit it is quite rare seeing an Asian here in poverty too. But it is not unusual seeing Aborigines in poverty here as well as white people.

Australia, and New Zealand which now has a large Asian minority, and most immigrants to New Zealand are from Asia. It seems a higher proportion of immigrants in Australia and New Zealand are from Asia, and Canada too. Both Australia, New Zealand and Canada tend to have a higher proportion of Asian immigrants compared to USA and UK.

Immigrants to Australia, New Zealand and Canada more tend to be highly skilled or are highly educated, compared to the USA, due to the visa requirements one can be allowed to move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2022, 10:42 PM
 
Location: Brisbane
5,021 posts, read 7,413,717 times
Reputation: 4476
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Most Sub-Saharan people here in Australia are European background, especially from South African and Zimbabwe. A majority of them are of British origin. A large majority of people of North West Europe background are from UK and Ireland and it has always been the case since the colonial days. But immigration has changed and a majority of people immigrating to Australia are from Asian countries. Plus you have so many international students coming to study in Australia. A majority will eventually live permanenty in Australia and a large majority of them are from Asia.

I notice the internatinal students are not poor, and also I admit it is quite rare seeing an Asian here in poverty too. But it is not unusual seeing Aborigines in poverty here as well as white people.

Australia, and New Zealand which now has a large Asian minority, and most immigrants to New Zealand are from Asia. It seems a higher proportion of immigrants in Australia and New Zealand are from Asia, and Canada too. Both Australia, New Zealand and Canada tend to have a higher proportion of Asian immigrants compared to USA and UK.

Immigrants to Australia, New Zealand and Canada more tend to be highly skilled or are highly educated, compared to the USA, due to the visa requirements one can be allowed to move there.
I think its more like more like a 50/50 spilt, Australia has about 165,000 sub-Saharan Africans who are not from either South Africa or Zimbabwe, and of course not all of those South Africans or Zimbabweans are white.

Interesting fact is that Australia has 50,000 Afrikaans speaking people, which is the highest Afrikaans speaking population in world outside of South Africa and Namibia.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 07-24-2022 at 10:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2022, 11:05 PM
 
1,764 posts, read 1,002,715 times
Reputation: 1940
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I think its more like more like a 50/50 spilt, Australia has about 165,000 sub-Saharan Africans who are not from either South Africa or Zimbabwe, and of course not all of those South Africans or Zimbabweans are white.

Interesting fact is that Australia has 50,000 Afrikaans speaking people, which is the highest Afrikaans speaking population in world outside of South Africa and Namibia.
About 400,000 people of African origin were living in Australia in 2020. This represents 1.6% of the Australian population and 5.1% of Australia's overseas-born population. Most (58%) are white South Africans but 42% are black Africans from sub-Saharan countries.

New Zealand also has a lot of South Africans as well. The largest expat South African community is the UK. Many South Africans also have settled in Canada and USA, and many work on working visas in USA on farms there. There was a lawsut over there where there was a farm accused of only hiring White South Africans but not hiring blacks. https://www.businessinsider.co.za/a-...-labour-2021-9 BTW the US South has a similar culture to South Africa where there are Blacks everywhere, and Whites and Blacks still largely live seperate lives. Also there are many South Africans in the oil rich gulf countries too. Dubai has 50 000 South Africans living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top