U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 07:25 AM

24,682 posts, read 52,219,436 times

Advertisements

'Gangnam Style' is the first K-pop (Korean pop for those who don't know) single to become globally famous outside Asia, and it seems the popularity of Korean music, television, film and more traditional things like food is growing worldwide. It's been popular in Asia for awhile now, but now it seems many young people in countries like Russia and Brazil are embracing it. Japanese pop culture has also been popular for some time now, from video games, manga/anime.etc. Some Chinese traditional culture is well known but it hasn't exported nearly as much contemporary pop culture as Korea or Japan.

How popular is Asian, I guess in this case mostly Japanese/Korean pop culture in your country? In Australia it's common for young people to be into it, but it doesn't seem quite as mainstream as it is in some Asian countries. I'm not sure why say K-dramas are huge in Vietnam or Thailand or Singapore, aside from the fact it's in the same region, but not as much as in the US or Australia. I guess more cultural similarity and exposure in these markets (despite the obvious fact that most people outside Korea and Japan do not speak those languages). It seems it's actually bigger in some European countries too compared to the UK, US, Australia, despite the fact we have a lot of Asians here and increasingly Koreans. No idea about Canada.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 07:48 AM

1,487 posts, read 2,253,315 times
In the US it depends on where you are. On the West Coast very popular because there are very large Asian populations there. Last summer a K-Pop concert drew over 4000 youngsters and was broadcast live from MBC America. When I got Korean cable about 2 years ago the Korean installers said that many non-Koreans were installing their package. And that was in Chicago but then we have a fairly large Korean community here, 60,000 plus. K-Pop is very big in Central and South America according to Korean entertainment publications. There is also am internet East Asian TV site that broadcasts out of Russia (my soju) for Asia and Europe. It was beamed to the US but they took it down about 8 months ago.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
In the US it depends on where you are. On the West Coast very popular because there are very large Asian populations there. Last summer a K-Pop concert drew over 4000 youngsters and was broadcast live from MBC America. When I got Korean cable about 2 years ago the Korean installers said that many non-Koreans were installing their package. And that was in Chicago but then we have a fairly large Korean community here, 60,000 plus. K-Pop is very big in Central and South America according to Korean entertainment publications. There is also am internet East Asian TV site that broadcasts out of Russia (my soju) for Asia and Europe. It was beamed to the US but they took it down about 8 months ago.
What about non-Asian Californians, are there many fans?

Old 03-21-2013, 08:05 AM

1,487 posts, read 2,253,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What about non-Asian Californians, are there many fans?
THe kids at the concert I saw on TV were a pretty good cross section of LA. How it will play out here (in Chicago) is a TBD. Korean drama is getting a big non-Asian audience. Dry to get this on the Internet
koreandrama.com.
It's out of CA but it's part of a nation wide site. We get Korean 6 channels in the Chicago area, NHK and Taiwanese TV. NHK and the Chinese channels have English language broadcasts on PBS as well as does Arirang but it's all news. Non-Asians seem to really like the dramas and the popularity seems to be picking up a lot over the past year.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
THe kids at the concert I saw on TV were a pretty good cross section of LA. How it will play out here (in Chicago) is a TBD. Korean drama is getting a big non-Asian audience. Dry to get this on the Internet
koreandrama.com.
It's out of CA but it's part of a nation wide site. We get Korean 6 channels in the Chicago area, NHK and Taiwanese TV. NHK and the Chinese channels have English language broadcasts on PBS as well as does Arirang but it's all news. Non-Asians seem to really like the dramas and the popularity seems to be picking up a lot over the past year.
Yes I'm sure it must have some universal appeal. They had Arirang in Vietnam, where K-dramas are very popular, and a lot of them are pretty interesting. I also learned a lot about regional Korean cuisines by watching that channel. I notice in the last 10 years there's been a profusion of Korean businesses, groceries, restaurants.etc - in the city. Everything from Lotte ice creams, Yogo-vera, kimchi and bibimbap has been introduced to me.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:32 AM

23,883 posts, read 69,406,956 times
Not very.
Sometimes you can see a couple of young girls in places like Stockholm wearing those colourful outfits, but it doesn´t seem very common there either.

Japanese hardcore punk on the other hand is popular among the few of us who listens to it.
Not that anyone cares.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:33 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,801,646 times
In my area - Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia - Korean food and restaurants are common and popular among the mainstream. Korean grocery stores are frequented mainly by other Asian Americans. Korean pop culture is practically unknown probably outside the Korean American community.

I'd say that the same holds true for Japanese as well, except that I don't know of any Japanese grocery stores here (probably very few).

Old 03-21-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In my area - Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia - Korean food and restaurants are common and popular among the mainstream. Korean grocery stores are frequented mainly by other Asian Americans. Korean pop culture is practically unknown probably outside the Korean American community.

I'd say that the same holds true for Japanese as well, except that I don't know of any Japanese grocery stores here (probably very few).
Heck I think a lot of the Korean stores here still largely cater to Koreans. I remember one store where they didn't even label anything in English. I thought it just wasn't right that a business in an English-speaking country practically excluded others like that.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:36 AM

4,175 posts, read 4,672,342 times
I'm a little too old to answer this but know that the Japanese Anime thing is quite big in the US. They have conventions where young people (of all sorts) turn out in big numbers dressed up as characters.

K-Pop and J-Pop have been on the radars of serious music lovers for awhile now with K-Pop on the rise and J-Pop fading a bit (Pizzicato 5 having quit long ago).

The DC area has a large Vietnamese population but I'm not sure Vietnam has much of a pop culture. That seemed to be the case when I visited 10 years ago and in the Vietnamese shopping centers around here.

Indian movies I think are only enjoyed by Indians for the most part. Oh and martial arts enthusiasts have been watching those kind of movies from Asia for decades.

But wow, Chinese pop culture? I'm drawing a blank despite plenty of Chinese in America. I guess it's pop culture comes in the form of cheap goods in big chain stores.

Oh, and video games, I think the Japanese games have been fairly popular.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:56 AM

25,588 posts, read 33,507,927 times
I don't think people should overstate how popular this stuff is. It's really not anywhere close to mainstream with non-Asians (and even more specifically - people who have origins in the country where the cultural product comes from) in the US and Canada.

There are exceptions of course like mangas, anime, video games like Dance Dance Revolution and of course Gangnam Style has piqued some people's interest regarding K-Pop, but anything beyond that becomes very much a niche-only interest with a small number of cultural "thrill seekers". Same goes for Bollywood movies which are nothing more than a curiosity among the broader population that does not have any roots in the part of the world where they are produced.

In order to make any inroads, the Korean and Japanese pop music industries for example would have to start producing songs in English for the American market. Along the same lines of what some Latin American music artists have done in recent years.

Gangnam Style was cool while it lasted, but as much as it was an intriguing novelty for your average person, they are still not going to start listening to a significant amount of popular music in a language that is not English. No way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World