Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 08:57 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,211,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The Americanization of the world is over. The reputation of America has severely declined since 9 11 ...The nations is no longer admired as it once was. The hap hazard war on terror has created the image of invading Nazis...prison camps - "enhanced interrogation" (torture)...no...even youth from far flung nations don't want to be American anymore.
LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 11:08 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Many US posters on here proving my point! Why are so many Americans adamant that the world is 'Americanised'? Democracy was something the Greeks gave us but you dont hear the Greeks calling the world 'Greekised' lol, the Industrial Revolution happened in the UK but you dont here Britains claiming the world is now Britishised! lol. I think most people from around the world a smart enough to understand that the world has developed the way it has because of influences from all over the globe so why cant Americans see this?
They can't see it because they are not taught it. I have met many Americans who got mostly U.S. history and not much about the rest of the world. Their International News sections on most News sites and TV News is only International because it involves an American story that is happening outside the U.S. Very little coverage of other countries elections etc.
They have been told time and time again that they are number one and as you have pointed out, some of responses on this forum prove that. They dismiss any criticism as propaganda and lies when all they have to do is a little research.
This is not too say there aren't millions of Americans who know this and are trying to change it. However they are called *******s and other childish names by those who have been brainwashed into voting against their best interests. Healthcare is a perfect example.

Last edited by Natnasci; 03-27-2013 at 11:25 AM..

Old 03-27-2013, 11:49 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
Yes, once the "next big thing" replaces America..

Old 03-27-2013, 11:59 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
"World music" has been around since the 80s, I don't think people are suddenly going to start listening to chants and bongos instead of Western electronic music, pop, hip hop and R&B. At least not anytime soon.

I should note I'm opposed to Americanization and find it quite appalling that Australian and Irish teenagers are starting to talk like us.
Aussies and the Irish are starting to talk American now? Since when?? I get what you mean maybe there using some slang words etc but not ''talking like Americans'' in that sense. There is no such thing (anymore) has Americanisation!
That bongo and chants comment you made is rubbish, African music genres are listed to throughout the world. Kuduro which is a African music genre from Angola is very popular in Brazil and has made it there ''own'' Modern day African music is very popular in some countries doesn't mean you don't hear people listen to it doesn't mean its not popular. You seriously need to see the world and do some research online and well just go out more really...

Old 03-27-2013, 12:32 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,406,723 times
I think the "Americanisation" of the world is over. Free and open markets will decide what things get pushed (based on it's demand). Now that the world is producing/manufactering, what gets pushed will be multi-national/global. No need to hate on the old Americanisation though - before, it was Romanisation, and before that Hellenisation. To be sure, there were other ". . isations" as well, but the point is that people want what they want and these things were not usually crammed down anyone's throat.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:08 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I think the "Americanisation" of the world is over. Free and open markets will decide what things get pushed (based on it's demand). Now that the world is producing/manufactering, what gets pushed will be multi-national/global. No need to hate on the old Americanisation though - before, it was Romanisation, and before that Hellenisation. To be sure, there were other ". . isations" as well, but the point is that people want what they want and these things were not usually crammed down anyone's throat.
The point people are trying to make though is that there has not BEEN Americanisation of the world!! Many (not every) Americans seem to think that its thanks to them the world drives cars, listens to pop music, wears blue jeans, eats pizza, speaks English etc when the reality is people are doing these things through many different 20th century influences, I mean don't you think the Italians have something to do with Pizzas! The French have something to do with wearing jeans, The English have something to do with the ENGLISH language!!? Of course the US has given the world plenty of wonderful things too, I mean it is a country the size of a continent but it does make the rest of the world scratch its head in wonder when Americans (many but not all) try and lay claim to things not even remotely American :-)

Old 03-27-2013, 01:09 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Lol, put anything USA related in your thread title and you are guaranteed 150+ responses.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:20 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,406,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The point people are trying to make though is that there has not BEEN Americanisation of the world!! Many (not every) Americans seem to think that its thanks to them the world drives cars, listens to pop music, wears blue jeans, eats pizza, speaks English etc when the reality is people are doing these things through many different 20th century influences, I mean don't you think the Italians have something to do with Pizzas! The French have something to do with wearing jeans, The English have something to do with the ENGLISH language!!? Of course the US has given the world plenty of wonderful things too, I mean it is a country the size of a continent but it does make the rest of the world scratch its head in wonder when Americans (many but not all) try and lay claim to things not even remotely American :-)
I hear you! My German girlfriend tries to do this too! According to her, Germany invented everything! She is a great cook, so I just nod my head and ask for more please.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:49 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I hear you! My German girlfriend tries to do this too! According to her, Germany invented everything! She is a great cook, so I just nod my head and ask for more please.
It is a wise man indeed who knows when not to try to correct a woman's point of view.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:53 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,211,615 times
America contributed greatly to the world, as with other countries, but since America is so big the attention is over us so people think the world is getting Americanized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World