Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the one child policy a good idea?
No, it was totalitarian and a cruel restriction of freedom 26 54.17%
Yes, desperate times call for desperate measures 22 45.83%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 03:16 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,438,047 times

Advertisements

What a question. Good.
In our age, any policy that gives strong incentives to families stop at fewer children - is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 08:16 PM

23 posts, read 23,990 times
I never really saw the point since they're trying to "revert" back to getting citizens to have 2+ again. Plus, I heard they don't have enough people for the workforce/elderly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's not my country, it is not my culture. I don't really have an opinion.

Except that it is very efficient population control. If families will only have one son and refuse to settle for a girl for their one child, that means that there are not mothers being raised up for the next generation of production.
I forgot about that until I met some younger people from China. My grandparents and cousins were/are all son-son and son-daughter sets; apparently this doesn't exist anymore. My nephews came in packs of 2 boys. My nieces have big brothers like their mom and grandma. In China, you only get to raise a son or daughter-son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The whole sex imbalance thing was a cultural thing, but the OCP sort of enabled it. I think it was necessary at the time, but as China's standard of living rises I don't think many will want to have many kids anyway. Taiwan, Hong Kong have very low fertility rates.
Same thing with Korea and Japan. Prior to the 1950s, they used to have a lot of kids (usually 6+ due to lack of BC and cheaper costs related to living) but now the birth rates are similarly low. Most people stay between 0--2. The only difference is that you can produce two kids of any gender.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:18 PM

23 posts, read 23,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Hubris, shmubris. All i know is that there are like two hundred million fewer Chinese women in the world than there should be and this is tragic. Someone must pay for this travesty!
IMO it hasn't done much. The country remains crowded as it is. They were pushing people to have just 2 before forcing OCP, but that still wasn't good enough.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:50 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cora Janette View Post
IMO it hasn't done much. The country remains crowded as it is. They were pushing people to have just 2 before forcing OCP, but that still wasn't good enough.
China is not really particularly crowded compared to other Asian countries, especially south Asian countries.

Some cities such as Beijing and Shanghai are very crowded, but it is the same in any big city in the world.
If you travel to rural western China, you may see nobody in miles.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:51 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
If you travel to rural western China, you may see nobody in miles
and...what's your point ? isn't it a good thing? don't you believe that without the one child policy China would be as crowded as India ? I certainly do.
Sometimes one has to choose between morals (or as I would term it "high moral ground") and the preservation of the environment.
And my gut feeling with a Planet of 7 bn inhabitants (and growing fast apace) it will be the case more and more.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:26 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
If you travel to rural western China, you may see nobody in miles
and...what's your point ? isn't it a good thing? don't you believe that without the one child policy China would be as crowded as India ? I certainly do.
Sometimes one has to choose between morals (or as I would term it "high moral ground") and the preservation of the environment.
And my gut feeling with a Planet of 7 bn inhabitants (and growing fast apace) it will be the case more and more.
Western China will never be as populous as the East China Plain or the valleys of the southeast because the climate is harsher, much of it is desert, and the soil is much poorer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World