Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 02:33 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,805,566 times

Advertisements

Which American accent are you talking about?

This one (Boston):

Perfect Boston Accent - YouTube

This one (Bronx):

Tony Curtis interview - YouTube

This one (white man from Georgia):

TAVIS SMILEY | Jeff Foxworthy | PBS - YouTube

Some other one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 02:36 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times
I guess we all have the same accent.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:45 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,523,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post

This one (Boston):

This one (Bronx):

Some other one?
The guy did specify he was midwesterner who speaks with a "generic american accent" which I take to mean he's asking about the non-regional Standard American Accent used for the news, advertisements, and much entertainment. It's a given that real Americans tend to have regional inflections at the very least.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:02 PM

10,641 posts, read 16,025,322 times
I love the American accent, it's the easiest to understand thanks to Hollywood.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:03 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Oh, I absolutely agree! I thought I was the only one who couldn't stand the Australian accent. I've literally turned documentaries off when I heard the voice-over was Australian. It's the only 'language' in the world I just can't hear for longer than a minute without wanting to punch someone, lol.

The South African accent on the other hand...
I kind of felt bad posting this, since I have Australian friends
They do not know my secret

Old 03-25-2013, 03:16 PM

271 posts, read 600,531 times
There are so many different accents in the U.S. I am from north Jersey (originally Newark), so it sounds like a NYC accent. There are New England, Boston (little different than New England), Midwest, Texas, Southern and on and on.

I really love all different kinds. The U.S. is huge, and we all sound a bit different.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:01 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I kind of felt bad posting this, since I have Australian friends
They do not know my secret
I have nothing against Australians, just their accent They can't help the way they speak. I empathize because my native language (Dutch) is one of the ugliest in the world, only slightly less grating than Australian, lol. That's just the way it is.

I hope Australians aren't as sensitive as some Americans around here, otherwise we'll have a "Why is it cool to bash Australians?" thread soon

Old 03-25-2013, 04:02 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,971,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Ping View Post
Having traveled extensively and lived outside the US, I can state with certainty that anything American is disliked by the educated. As for the uneducated, they have been scammed enough to distrust Americans tremendously. They hear an American accent and they automatically seek retribution. My advice is to leave your accent home and learn at least enough of the language to be polite and to be able to understand, if not speak, the language.
Are you suggesting there aren't any people in foreign countries who are fond of Americans?

Old 03-25-2013, 04:03 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,971,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post

This one (Boston):

This one (Bronx):

Some other one?
The generic American accent, the radio voice that most news anchors have.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:04 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I have nothing against Australians, just their accent They can't help the way they speak. I empathize because my native language (Dutch) is one of the ugliest in the world, only slightly less grating than Australian, lol. That's just the way it is.
I also have Dutch friends, one who also speak Frisian. The Dutch language itself is very guttural, but doesn't bother me. I do like the accent of a Dutch person speaking English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World