Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 10:32 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times

Advertisements

As an American born in the midwest, being raised to speak in the generic American accent, I have always had a fascination with other accents across the country and the world. Mainly because there are so many different accents across the world based on location, it's interesting.

I've always had quite an admiration for the sound of a good and educated British accent, but I appreciate the common British accent as well. I also confess that when I was younger I always thought British people sounded more intelligent when they spoke, their accent accentuated the words more so, making it sound better, similar to how most people perceive southerners as slow because of the way they talk.

So I've wondered, I know myself and a lot of other Americans like a good British accent, but how do the British feel about American accents? How do other countries feel about American accents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 11:30 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
I personally dislike the American accent. I prefer Aussie accents sounds more genuine

Old 03-25-2013, 11:33 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
It's pretty easy to "change accent" to some extent. I'm amazed many Americans can't do that even if they want to.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:48 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Standard American accent? It's okay, not my favourite, but fine. I speak something similar as an Anglo-Quebecois, but my favourite is the South African accents.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:39 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It's pretty easy to "change accent" to some extent. I'm amazed many Americans can't do that even if they want to.
Do you then find it amazing that people from the UK who move to the US will generally retain their accent years after moving?

I think it's an innate ability just like any other... I can click in and out of regional accents that are familiar to me without a second thought and there are many people who at the very least change from one to another gradually after moving, but then you'll meet someone who moved from Brooklyn to Albuquerque at 10 and still has an accent thirty years on.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:57 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
I hate American sport commentators and Hollywood voice-overs.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:03 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
As an American born in the midwest, being raised to speak in the generic American accent, I have always had a fascination with other accents across the country and the world. Mainly because there are so many different accents across the world based on location, it's interesting.

I've always had quite an admiration for the sound of a good and educated British accent, but I appreciate the common British accent as well. I also confess that when I was younger I always thought British people sounded more intelligent when they spoke, their accent accentuated the words more so, making it sound better, similar to how most people perceive southerners as slow because of the way they talk.

So I've wondered, I know myself and a lot of other Americans like a good British accent, but how do the British feel about American accents? How do other countries feel about American accents?
Since some Canadians accents are close to some U.S. ones I can't say I dislike the generic American accent. I find strong drawls less nice sounding. Of all the english speaking countries, I have to say an Australian accent is one I abhor. It grates me to no end.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:21 PM

4 posts, read 42,374 times
Having traveled extensively and lived outside the US, I can state with certainty that anything American is disliked by the educated. As for the uneducated, they have been scammed enough to distrust Americans tremendously. They hear an American accent and they automatically seek retribution. My advice is to leave your accent home and learn at least enough of the language to be polite and to be able to understand, if not speak, the language.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:26 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I hate American sport commentators and Hollywood voice-overs.
Me too, especially American football (soccer) commentators, they just get on my nerves for some reason.

I like the generic American accent, it's very easy to speak and understand.

My own accent is a mix of American and British English, I'm sure it sounds terrible to native speakers, lol. It's the result of learning the "correct" British pronunciation at school and learning the American pronunciation through the media. I think a lot of Europeans have that problem

Old 03-25-2013, 02:32 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Since some Canadians accents are close to some U.S. ones I can't say I dislike the generic American accent. I find strong drawls less nice sounding. Of all the english speaking countries, I have to say an Australian accent is one I abhor. It grates me to no end.
Oh, I absolutely agree! I thought I was the only one who couldn't stand the Australian accent. I've literally turned documentaries off when I heard the voice-over was Australian. It's the only 'language' in the world I just can't hear for longer than a minute without wanting to punch someone, lol.

The South African accent on the other hand...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World