Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 09:26 PM

26 posts, read 86,215 times

Advertisements

I saw this question on another forum website. I was surprised that it hasn't really been asked on here. I would like to know what is your favorite city and why? It can be any city in the world.

My favorite is Chicago because it has a great culture and it has less headaches associated with city living in the U.S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 10:11 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,607,320 times
hong kong. lived there when i was a little kid. where i fell in love with asia. if i had the budget, i would live there full time, but it's simply not possible for me right now.

bangkok is a close second. lived there during my late teens-early twenties. i don't spend much time there anymore, but one of the few places in the world i truly feel at home and where the majority of my friends are.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:24 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
New York City!

Old 03-31-2013, 09:50 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,858,118 times
I second New York City - definitely my fave. I haven't visited in a couple years and have been going through protracted withdrawal. I love Manhattan, especially the areas not overrun with tourists - Morningside Heights, El Barrio, Alphabet City, Harlem, Washington Heights, the Rambles early on a Saturday or Sunday morning when it's practically deserted and you can almost feel like you're not in the middle of a massive, teeming metropolis. I also love the South Bronx, which I've had the opportunity to explore thoroughly. Brooklyn is awesome, but I haven't seen nearly enough of it. I could spend my whole life exploring New York.

I also love Tokyo. It's hard to find a more extreme urban experience anywhere in the developed world. It is the pulsing core of what must be the largest, most heavily populated contiguous urban area in the world. It's also such a safe city that you can explore every nook and cranny without worrying about straying into a dangerous neighbourhood - and there are so many nooks and crannies to explore, narrow alleyways filled with shops and restaurants, beautiful little Shinto and Buddhist shrines popping up out of the chaotic jumble of apartments and houses. Tokyo is a city with so many layers, you could live there your entire life and never see even a small faction of it all.

And of course my home city, Toronto - even after growing up just outside the city limits and living in the city proper for 11 years, I'm still finding new layers, new aspects to neighbourhoods I thought I knew, new things to love and loathe. Toronto is probably the most underrated large city in North America, and one of the the most misunderstood. If only our leaders would do the right thing and expand our subway / LRT system, stop building condos and start building neighbourhoods, and do more to protect what remains of Old Toronto and its unique neighbourhoods so that we don't lose the heritage we have left after the wholesale destruction of the 60's and 70's, Toronto could truly shine. Unfortunately, I don't have any faith in our political leaders to make these things happen.

Last edited by TOkidd; 03-31-2013 at 10:12 AM..

Old 03-31-2013, 06:52 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmims View Post
I saw this question on another forum website. I was surprised that it hasn't really been asked on here. I would like to know what is your favorite city and why? It can be any city in the world.

My favorite is Chicago because it has a great culture and it has less headaches associated with city living in the U.S
I also agree with Chicago.

You get the New York lifestyle with Detroit's grit.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:32 PM

217 posts, read 313,218 times
Los Angeles by far.

Let me start saying that the combination of attractions that are like no other in the world. Los Angeles offers the best of nearly every aspect of life in both quantity and quality, with the only thing missing being winter snow sports - which are available with only a few hours drive east to the Nevada mountains. All in all, Los Angeles seemingly has something for everyone in terms of recreation and lifestyle, and chances are if an individual is looking for something and it is not available in LA it cannot be found anywhere.
What makes Los Angeles, CA a great place to live begins with it's citizens, many of whom are originally from some other location. Los Angeles draws new residents from all over the world, and with each new citizen comes a small piece of another culture and location to the LA area. This cultural diversity presents itself in a wealth of interesting foods, fashions, languages and philosophical outlooks on life that make up the feel and texture of life in Los Angeles. LA is truly an international city that always stands on the cutting edge of the latest trends in both style and technology, and citizens tend to embrace the unusual aspects of life as their own with open arms and minds.

Los Angeles is a great place to live because of the attractions it has to offer for every individual regardless of their position on the economic ladder - a Hollywood mogul can find themselves engaged in conversation with a minimum wage worker from a third world country while at the beach, and personal associations are formed that are not possible in other locations. Although the LA metro area has considerable sprawl, sporting, outdoor and entertainment attractions enable a strong community bond and sense of togetherness between people of widely ranging backgrounds, religious beliefs and political views.

Lastly, what makes Los Angeles a great place to live is that the area provides the best amenities of big-city life with access to wonderful opportunities in education and career choices for it's residents.

And for all that, LA is the best city to live. And of course, the weather. Not every other city have a great weather as we do. San Diego does, but its a tie between them and LA.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:36 AM

770 posts, read 1,131,027 times
I think Madrid is the most lovely. Although suffering from long term unemployment, it is a lovely city and the food is first class. Wines are exceptional and the people make you feel welcome. It's a big city, but not too big. Also, Barcelona is its own experience, you can see an entirely different part of Spain. The Med Sea there is awesome.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:57 AM

486 posts, read 863,071 times
Paris. Why?......it's lovely.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:01 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,053,159 times
Portland, mostly because I lived their as a child and it will always be home to me. But really, I enjoy that it's like a big-small town, and that you're always close to nature. There's plenty of things to do if you like outdoors and mild city life. You can have a big city without all the congestion. Even though it rains 9 months out of the year, those 3 months of summer are bliss, because everything is green and it's not too hot or humid.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:24 AM

976 posts, read 2,242,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I also agree with Chicago.

You get the New York lifestyle with Detroit's grit.
new york lifestyle in chicago? uhhh....no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World