Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 09:39 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times

Advertisements

Madrid seems like it would suit some of your factors. It is a transportation hub and extremely well connected by train (called the "Ave"). If you have an elementary knowledge of Spanish you'll get by, and English is fairly commonly spoken there. There are plenty of devout Catholics in Madrid and Spain as a whole but there are people from all other walks of life as well, so if you are looking to be around a bunch of people who are religiously just like you then you need to look elsewhere. That being said it's a wonderful city that offers a lot to both tourists and residents.

I've never really heard of Pamplona being super conservative. You'd be hard-pressed to find anything in Europe in general that matches the conservatism you find in the US. It's true that Pamplona is a smaller city but it's also fairly touristy mostly due to El Festival de San Fermin. You'll encounter many other Americans there without a doubt.

In Mexico you can definitely find more conservative areas but those areas also tend to be poor, rural, and sorely lacking in basic amenities we take for granted in the United States. Guadalajara and the Federal District have nice areas but again, it's a bigger city and you're gonna get all sorts of different people so keep that in mind. Though I'd say as a general rule Guadalajara is much conservative than either Madrid or the Federal District. I know nothing about Guanajuato.

Have you considered any South American countries? I can think of a couple that might suit your needs and preferences. Chile, Uruguay, Argentina come to mind but primarily Chile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 04:22 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
I know that they're both Catholic countries, but I have heard a lot about how deeply secular Spain has become, especially compared to the deeply pious Mexico. I don't know, however, how true that is.
Yes it is true, sometimes it seems that being atheis is the new fashion and very trendy specially in young atmospheres, but if you want to go to Church and enjoy religion you can still do it with any problem, mass celebrations everyday in every Church

Old 04-07-2013, 08:04 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,858,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
My wife and I are considering a handful of opportunities between Mexico and Spain. We currently live in the western U.S. and are working on fluency for our fledgling Spanish skills. We're young--in our 20s--are just starting a family. Our opportunity would likely be for just a few years or so, therefore it isn't a permanent sort of thing. But we're trying to figure out which would place would be better given our likes, wants, etc. We're primarily looking at Guanajuato, Guadalajara, and D.F. in Mexico, and Pamplona and maybe Madrid in Spain. Here are some of the things we love and don't love about each place vs. the other:

Why Mexico over Spain:

- Closer to home/family; cheaper to travel
- Cheaper
- More intensely Catholic; church-going is more frequent
- More conservative
- More mountainous (we love to hike)
- Richer culture
- Less pretentious
- More family-centered way of life (good for families with lots of kids)
- Economy seems to be growing, unlike in Spain.

Why Spain over Mexico:

- Nicer
- Cleaner
- Safer
- Wealthier (although that's probably a plus and a minus)
- Better access to European destinations
- We like the whole cafe culture and the European way of life, more generally
- We're not Latino, so we'd likely "blend in" in Spain better, although it doesn't matter to us, of course, what our neighbor's skin color is.
- Better public transportation
- A more modern feel and look

I've been to Mexico several times (although not Guanajuato or Guadalajara), and I've been to Europe several times (although not Spain). So I have a marginally good idea what I'm up against. I'm a rather devout (and politically conservative) Catholic, so Mexico has always had some appeal. And that's why I"m hesitant about Spain, although I've heard that Pamplona is pretty conservative, too. Yet I'm really afraid about the grunginess and safety issues of Mexico that you don't have in Spain. The same kind of humble, earthiness about Mexico seems missing in super-modernistic Spain, so that's another thing to consider.

I appreciate any thoughts and/or advice.

The only reason I would choose Spain over Mexico right now is safety issues in Mexico that may prevent you from traveling around the countryside by bus or car - the main mode of travel around Mexico. But Mexico has so many beautiful cities, and such diverse ecosystems - from lowland to highland jungle, cloud forest, high and low desert, tropical forest, beautiful beaches on the Pacific and Caribbean coasts, and others. One of my favourite parts about Mexico was being able to take the first-class buses all over the countryside for just a few dollars to visit beautiful little cities like San Cristobal de las Casas or Ciudad Oaxaca, but this kind of travel isn't consiered safe for foreigners right now, due to threat of kidnapping. Back when I was traveling around Mexico, I was more worried about Federales than cartels.

Since personal safety is such a huge part of your quality of life wherever you live, I hate to say it, but I would choose Spain at the moment. Life in Mexico is just too unpredictable now. Imagine, Acapulco - the tourist paradise - has a higher murder rate than any American city, including Detroit. That said, Yucatan, Chiapas, and Oaxaca seem to be the safest parts of the country right now, while Sinaloa and the border provinces remain the least safe. Unfortunately, even Veracruz has become dangerous due to the presence of the Gulf Cartel.

I've never been to Spain, but I'm sure you'll love it. There's tons of hiking there, including a very famous pilgrim trail, and there are mountainous and hilly parts of the country where you could go hiking. Until Mexico can tame the cartels or resume its old practice of exchanging payoffs for a blind eye, I wouldn't want to live there and I love Mexico.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:11 PM

5 posts, read 12,823 times
Default Mexico is a third world country and Spain is a second world country

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Those countries are very different to each other, despite teh common point of the language and the catholic heritage. So you'll not going to have the same thing in one and in the other. All depends of what you expect and what you like.

The countries in their geography are completly different:

- Mexico is big, Spain is relatively small.
- Mexico lies near the tropics, Spain is lined with northern USA.
- Mexico has desertic and tropical climates and ambiances, Spain has mediterranean, oceanic and semi-continental ones
- Mexico has a mixed European/native American population; Spain, well as a mostly a European one
- Mexico has a mixed culture; where spanish aspects have blended with indigenous ones (foods, architecture, etc)
- Mexico is consitdered a developping country, Spain is considered a developped one.
- Mexico has USA and Guatemala as neighbours, Spain has Portugal and France
- etc...

So, what to shoose?

I would'nt shoose Pamplona, which is maybe too provincial (and Basque) for a foreigner; it might be easier to blend in Madrid or Barcelona which are more cosmopolitan with more activities and jobs. But once again it depends what you want, maybe you like more a rural living than a urban one.
I was in Spain last summer and it is not a developed country as compared to the USA or Canada; ecomonically, Spain (and the USA) are dropping like a rock.

I would choose Spain over Mexico because it is much safer to travel-live in than Mexico.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:46 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattrainer View Post
I was in Spain last summer and it is not a developed country as compared to the USA or Canada; ecomonically, Spain (and the USA) are dropping like a rock.

I would choose Spain over Mexico because it is much safer to travel-live in than Mexico.
Yes, the state of the Spanish economy right now would be a bit of a dealbreaker to me too. The unemployment is sky-high (25 % of the population without a job ), even compared to many other hard-hit countries in Europe.

On the other hand, this recession will not go on endlessly. Spain has great assets on the economic field. And the Spanish public infrastructure is top-noth (especially the train network, which is one of the best in Europe).

Old 04-16-2013, 04:01 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,263,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
Yes, the state of the Spanish economy right now would be a bit of a dealbreaker to me too. The unemployment is sky-high (25 % of the population without a job ), even compared to many other hard-hit countries in Europe.

On the other hand, this recession will not go on endlessly. Spain has great assets on the economic field. And the Spanish public infrastructure is top-noth (especially the train network, which is one of the best in Europe).

Spain's economy is now bad, but the country still have its potential: infrastructure, young people with education, attractiveness of the place, the culture. Everything is already ready for the rapid recover when the crisis will be ended.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:04 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,263,238 times
Quote:
I was in Spain last summer and it is not a developed country as compared
Well, most of Europe is not as developped as north America, we know this, France included by the way. Only Germany, Netherlands, Scandinavia, Switzerland and maybe Austria are on pair with north America. The rest of Europe is a bit backwards, but still considered developped (in the western Europe) or in developpement (in some eastern countries)

Old 04-16-2013, 04:34 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,428,288 times
Quote:
I was in Spain last summer and it is not a developed country as compared to the USA or Canada
Tell me more.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:27 PM

39 posts, read 71,678 times
I would definitely choose Mexico. Mexico gets a very bad rap especially in the United States and people think that by watching the news and reading a couple of articles that they have an accurate depiction of Mexican life. Guadalajara and Guanajuato are beautiful cities and are very vibrant. Yes Mexico has people that struggle everyday to survive, but there's also a middle class that thrives. My dads side of the family all have degrees in Mexico. One of my uncles has Phd in mechanical engineering he and his family travel all over the country and enjoy a very relaxed lifestyle. Mexican people are very hospitable sometimes to a fault. They are very humble and have strong family values. You will instantly make friends and you will enjoy a very rich culture which mixes native and european culture so harmoniously. The criminals mostly target rivals and as long as you don't flash your wealth in a shady part of town you will be fine.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:05 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Well, most of Europe is not as developped as north America, we know this, France included by the way. Only Germany, Netherlands, Scandinavia, Switzerland and maybe Austria are on pair with north America. The rest of Europe is a bit backwards, but still considered developped (in the western Europe) or in developpement (in some eastern countries)
True the US economy is bigger but its quality of life is behind most of Western and Northern Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World