U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 09:15 PM

24,682 posts, read 50,559,980 times

Advertisements

This is something I find really odd. At least of the countries I've been to, it seems that the amount of road rage/how easily angered people get on the road is inversely proportional to how hectic the traffic is. So what I'm saying is that when traffic is more orderly people are MORE likely to get road rage and get frazzled by seemingly little things. This is the case in Australia. Some people here get impatient/irritated even if you're one second slow at the lights, or if you're going at the speed limit. In contrast in Asia, while the traffic is hectic and chaotic there's less of that. Maybe because people are used to it, and have long got over being angry about it, and in countries with more orderly traffic a violation of the rules tends to stick out more. I'm curious to hear how things are in Europe, if you're more like Australia or Asia.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 09:35 PM

14,870 posts, read 19,501,715 times
Around here people have stickers on their car that say thing like "keep honking, i'm reloading" or simply "don't tailgate"

I find it dumb, im usually tempted to tailgate them or honk at them for no reason.

especially this guy
http://rednecksinthewild.com/wp-cont...dd9982dd_z.jpg

Anyways, i see people every once in awhile cut someone off on purpose, slam on their breaks or tailgate very closely. only a very few times have i seen someone get out of the car and approach another driver.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:41 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,814,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Around here people have stickers on their car that say thing like "keep honking, i'm reloading"
That's a funny one .

There's enough road rage over here. Every couple of months you'll be hearing some grisly story in the newspapers. Most of it happens in either Antwerp or Brussels. Not surprisingly, those two cities have the busiest beltways in Europe.

Last week a driver was attacked by a man with a baseball bat. Last february, a man in Antwerp was killed in a road rage incident after being followed and beaten up by a group of ten youngsters. Last november, a man lost his leg after a gardener attacked him with a bush trimmer. This near Antwerp again. Last september, a person got attacked with pepper spray after refusing to give way.
And so it goes on...There's plenty of minor cases as well.

The thing is, in Flanders, we have a very dense road network with tons of cars on it all day long, resulting in daily traffic jams all over the place. The result: a lot of frustration and anger.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:00 AM

25,058 posts, read 25,526,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
That's a funny one .

There's enough road rage over here. Every couple of months you'll be hearing some grisly story in the newspapers. Most of it happens in either Antwerp or Brussels. Not surprisingly, those two cities have the busiest beltways in Europe.

Last week a driver was attacked by a man with a baseball bat. Last february, a man in Antwerp was killed in a road rage incident after being followed and beaten up by a group of ten youngsters. Last november, a man lost his leg after a gardener attacked him with a bush trimmer. This near Antwerp again. Last september, a person got attacked with pepper spray after refusing to give way.
And so it goes on...There's plenty of minor cases as well.

The thing is, in Flanders, we have a very dense road network with tons of cars on it all day long, resulting in daily traffic jams all over the place. The result: a lot of frustration and anger.
No wonder Dr. Evil is from Belgium!

Old 04-05-2013, 12:48 PM

27,654 posts, read 37,381,331 times
I am not seeing any road rage, but there are a lot of bad drivers out there.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:50 PM

27,654 posts, read 37,381,331 times
Oh yeah, thought of one. Last year some punk was driving about twice the speed limit, cutting in and out of traffic, and ran an old pickup off the road.

The pickup driver chased him down, caught him, pulled him out through the window of his car and beat the dog snot out of him.

All of the rest of us "didn't see a thing"

Old 04-05-2013, 01:02 PM

59,006 posts, read 1,557,228 times
I don't see road rage where I live, cell phones are the problem.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:41 PM

7,538 posts, read 9,030,572 times
not really an issue in my country , never once heard it mentioned on the main evening news , someone from the next town over to where i live had a screw driver stuck in their chest while driving in australia , that was a few decades ago , they were living there at the time for many years , seems to be a pretty serious issue down under

Old 04-05-2013, 01:56 PM

10,778 posts, read 14,952,533 times
It can get really, really ugly here in LA. I make an effort not to get involved in it, but sometimes people will indeed come after you. I had a guy follow me about four miles up Lincoln Blvd once, screaming at me light after light, because he tried to fly up on the shoulder at about twice the speed limit and cut me off but didn't have enough space and had to brake. The whole time, threatening to kill me, threatening to rape my wife (who wasn't in my car, because I wasn't married...?), etc etc etc. I finally blew up at him and told him that if he wanted to pull over, I'd be more than happy to go at him with a tire iron, and reminded him that he was a pencil-necked geek and I'm a giant, hulking brute. It was amazing how quickly that shut him up... and then he turned around, which means he followed me well past his destination to keep yelling at me.

Another guy, when I lived in SF, tried to cut me off at the toll to the Bay Bridge - there was a line of at least fifty cars and he just tried to fly up to the front in his Jag and cut in front - but I didn't let him, so as soon as he did get on, he floored it and started weaving through traffic, cutting people off to get to me and scream at me, which was pointless since we were on the freeway. Got off at the same exit and continued to shout at me, threatening to kill me, calling me a common expletive used for homosexuals, etc. I looked in the mirror and realized that there was a cop car one car behind me and to the side, and that the walk signal was blinking with cross traffic... so... I looked over at him while he was pantomiming fellatio at me and said, "you want a piece of me, fat___?" He yelled and grimaced at me, I made the "come here" gesture... he yelled that he was going to f'ing kill me, undid his seatbelt, got out of the car and started coming towards me shouting his head off, and right then, the cops blipped their siren He stopped dead in his tracks. "Have fun, loverboy!" I shouted and then drove off, since the light was green.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:13 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,804,783 times
I have seen people get out of their cars four times in rush hour traffic, two times start physically fighting. In LA and Milwaukee guys started punching one another, in Chicago and Santa Rosa they just yelled at each other and got back in their cars.

I was talking about this with a co-working. I rarely drive in rush hour traffic now and I am so patient behind the wheel, more than i used to be. I think road rage occurs in people that have a combination of driving too much and have some personal problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World