Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 01:14 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,535,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Ahhhh a foreigner over-generalizing about Americans.... what's new?
Quote:
Mexico is the only Latin American country most of us know about so we just assume the rest of the continent is similar to Mexico.
Just gonna leave this here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 01:16 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,527,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I'm of Afro-caribbean desent I'm not Jamaican but peeps tend to assume i'm Jamaican but thats understandable because the West Indian Islands are fairly small with relatively small populations (and cultures a also relatively similar) but a WHOLE continent!!
I know, right??

Invincible is saying "all countries have false views about other countries", and one thing is to have stereotypes or whatever it is, but here no one will confuse USA to, say, China, and react shocked if the person from usa does not speak chinese mandarin or does not have asian features. I know what USA is, what france is, how a person from asia might look like, and that goes with the rest of the world.

Assuming Latin America is like Mexico is SO unbelievably ignorant!!!!

Old 04-06-2013, 01:17 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
Quote:
I dont think this is an American problem, people in every country have false views about other countries.
But not whole Continents. And the fact that this Mexican generalisation is so far off!
Most people in England generalise Central / South America as being Mixed, salsa, exotic and colourfull not Latin America = Mexico!

!!ignorance!!

Old 04-06-2013, 01:18 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Congrats you have a star!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
so its better to asume than to learn how things are in reality and speak properly??
Its really ignorant to assume all Latin America is like Mexico, there are tons of different countries there, that have nothing to do with Mexico, and between eachother. Dont you think is ignorant to lump us all together in the same group as if we were ALL the same??
Many Americans are like this, not saying its a good thing, not going to call them ignorant though. they just don't care to learn about the world outside the US, Canada and Mexico.

If we want to learn about other countries we want to learn about the countries where our ancestors come from, so we mostly research european countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
For the Latin Americans countries, they dont identify themselves with the meaning you give to the word "hispanic" (wich is "mexican"). A Peruvian doesnt identify with it, a Colombian, a Chilean, an Argentinain, an Uruguayan, and so on. You are denying all this countries their own identity by imagining all them as "Mexico"-

It is wrong in so many levels!
We think they're similar to Mexico,

Not all Americans are experts on Latin America culture.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I'm trying to speak on behalf of the majority of American citizens.

I am better than all of them! (jk)

Old 04-06-2013, 01:20 PM

295 posts, read 1,155,206 times
Quote:
I dont think this is an American problem, people in every country have false views about other countries.
Exactly.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
But not whole Continents. And the fact that this Mexican generalisation is so far off!
Most people in England generalise Central / South America as being Mixed, salsa, exotic and colourfull not Latin America = Mexico!

!!ignorance!!
We think of Mexico as Salsa, exotic and colorful.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:24 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,527,668 times
I have a star cause honestly my interactions with cali got me an insane amounts of points

So, for the ones that dont know:

That country in the north, in yellow, is Mexico. That HUGE landmass below it is Latin America, many countries with their own identity, races, culture, customes, etc.

So, there.

Please learn it and call Mexicans "Mexicans" and learn the meaning of the word "Hispanic". Im technically hispanic, but have nothing to do with the meaning USA assigned to this word. Im sure other people from Latin America feel the same.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:25 PM

295 posts, read 1,155,206 times
I'm going to quote myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by chascarrillo View Post
I've seen thousands of British and Germans looking for Mexican sombreros in souvenir gift shops in Spain.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:25 PM

Lol i try to give an honest answer and people get all upset,

why do y'all even care what Americans think about you? you know the truth about your country, don't let people from thousands of miles away get to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World