Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 01:44 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post

There are many aspects of South America thats why its such a great continent, very interesting. But saying Latin America = Mexico (or something similar) is just wrong. I'm sure that Welsh is spoken in Southern Argentina. The thing about Americans is that they keep assuming and grouping cultures together.
When we have dicussions about Europe they group Europe all together, its really annoying
I know, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 01:46 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,654,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Um no. Maybe in Minnesota, but Mexico is definitely not the first country that comes to mind when I hear "hispanic". Dunno where you're getting that assumption.
Which one is then? We just use the term 'Latin America' here, but when I hear 'Hispanic' I think first of Mexicans in the US because that's where I've heard the term used most often.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:53 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I know, right?
Its so sad.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:54 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Which one is then? We just use the term 'Latin America' here, but when I hear 'Hispanic' I think first of Mexicans in the US because that's where I've heard the term used most often.
Exactly. As I pointed out in an earlier post regarding the term asian. Hispanic as a term in the U.S. has a different meaning than other places in the world. In Canada if you say Hispanic, people probably think of Mexico first since many Canadians know and visit Mexico and/or know Mexicans living in Canada. However in Canada most do understand that Hispanic is not just Mexico.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:56 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Um no. Maybe in Minnesota, but Mexico is definitely not the first country that comes to mind when I hear "hispanic". Dunno where you're getting that assumption.
Just my own experiences with people i know, most people i know don't know much about latin america and hispanics.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:57 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Yes its a common mistake to think that Mexico is in South America or Central America and that North America only consists of the US and Canada. But its not as bad as thinking the whole of Latin America is similar or just like Mexico.

There are many aspects of South America thats why its such a great continent, very interesting. But saying Latin America = Mexico (or something similar) is just wrong. I'm sure that Welsh is spoken in Southern Argentina. The thing about Americans is that they keep assuming and grouping cultures together.
When we have dicussions about Europe they group Europe all together, its really annoying.
Lol yea its only Americans that do this.

Can i ask again, why does it matter what Americans think?

Old 04-06-2013, 02:02 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

It does cause America is a cultural empire. This means i watch it shows (of course, because i LOVE them, and think american tv is the best tv ever), hear its news, read its books, etc. And this hispanic missunderstandment is also reflected in american tv.

And i care on a personal level cause, having lived there, i have many american friends, and im tired of correcting this issue. And because, having friends there, i plan to visit again in the future, and i dont want to explain to every american why i dont look or speak "mexican" while im there.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:02 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Quote:

But Americans do it excessively.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:04 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
people that live in Argentina dont need to be concerned about what americans in the USA think..Its really none of their business...If a person speaks spanish he is hispanic

Old 04-06-2013, 02:05 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:

It matters because an ignorant population is easily led into war. For example, 9/11. Why wasn't the majority in the U.S. screaming to go after Saudi Arabia, since the majority of terrorists were from there, but seem content to believe that Iraq was responsible somehow since Iraq is kind like them and over there somewhere.
This is an extreme example though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World