Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 08:38 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yes I understand that, I'm not arguing that the term American to some means from the U.S. I've said that in an earlier post. The point that myself and others have made is that depending on where you live in the world the term differs.
This story came out today, another possibly silly cities rankings. Notice how they use the term America. It includes the U.S., Canada and Brazil.
That's why as I said earlier it's fun to challenge some folks from the States on the term American...many haven't a clue that it does not mean EXCLUSIVELY people from the U.S.

Vancouver ranks 5th in cities of the future list | Vancity Buzz | Vancouver Blog

"Challenging" people on the use of the word "American" makes little sense when speaking English.

What English language equivalent of "Estadounidense" is there? Stater? US-er?

None. Throughout the English speaking world, the proper way to describe citizens of the US is "American":

a·mer·i·can

/əˈmerikən/

Adjective

Of, relating to, or characteristic of the United States or its inhabitants.

Noun

A native or citizen of the United States.

Even in places like Portugal, "Americano" is used to identify people from the United States. In Germany, it's Amerikaner.

Canadians don't run around calling themselves American, and that's because they have a very valid and easy adjective to use: Canadian. No such luck for the United Stateser.

If you tell most people in the world you're American they are sure as hell going to know you're talking about the United States. That's because Mexicans, Brazilians, Canadians, etc. call themselves.... Mexican, Brazilian, and Canadian.

If absolutely necessary, they will say, for example "North American" "South American" and "Central American" .... which would only oddly been used when people feel the need to identify broadly with their continental origins. In my experience, only the most disagreeable inhabitants of the Americas will take issue with "American" being used as an adjective for "Of the United States." Usually the kinds of people who have general disdain for the USA in general.

The "Americas" are unique from when someone calls themselves a "European" or an "Asian" because THOSE terms are much more loaded, and 99% of the time indicate racial origins in addition to nationality. Being from the "Americas" provides no clues as to your racial or ethnic identity... which brings us full circle back to the word "Hispanic," since being Hispanic gives no real clues as to what you may look like, or your background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 09:05 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
"Challenging" people on the use of the word "American" makes little sense when speaking English.

None. Throughout the English speaking world, the proper way to describe citizens of the US is "American":

a·mer·i·can

/əˈmerikən/

Adjective

Noun

Even in places like Portugal, "Americano" is used to identify people from the United States. In Germany, it's Amerikaner.

Canadians don't run around calling themselves American, and that's because they have a very valid and easy adjective to use: Canadian. No such luck for the United Stateser.

If you tell most people in the world you're American they are sure as hell going to know you're talking about the United States. That's because Mexicans, Brazilians, Canadians, etc. call themselves.... Mexican, Brazilian, and Canadian.

If absolutely necessary, they will say, for example "North American" "South American" and "Central American" .... which would only oddly been used when people feel the need to identify broadly with their continental origins. In my experience, only the most disagreeable inhabitants of the Americas will take issue with "American" being used as an adjective for "Of the United States." Usually the kinds of people who have general disdain for the USA in general.

The "Americas" are unique from when someone calls themselves a "European" or an "Asian" because THOSE terms are much more loaded, and 99% of the time indicate racial origins in addition to nationality. Being from the "Americas" provides no clues as to your racial or ethnic identity... which brings us full circle back to the word "Hispanic," since being Hispanic gives no real clues as to what you may look like, or your background.
This is an excellent post, both on American and Hispanic. The only value I see in the word Hispanic is in advertising, meaning you can communicate in Spanish and a lot of people will mostly understand what you are trying to say...and yes, I understand that there are differences in language by geography.

Signed,
A United States of American

Old 04-09-2013, 09:06 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
why would it be a joke about argentinians?? You guys dont know where Argentina is, or even is it is an island in the pacific ocean. If you made a joke about us it will mean you know something to joke about, instead of thinking we are mexico, duh

have you been paying attention at all? lol
So you really believe that no US citizen would ever know where Buenos Aires and Argentina are located? Really? Because most people I know who are educated and/or fairly well-travelled would have some knowledge of the region--many people I know have actually been to Buenos Aires or would like to travel there.

Assuming the worst about people based on a tossed off joke sort of makes you sound as stupid as those you imagine to make fun of.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:08 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
So you really believe that no US citizens knows where Buenos Aires and Argentina are located? Really? Because most people I know who are educated and/or fairly well-travelled would have some knowledge of the region--many people I know have actually been to Buenos Aires or would like to travel there.

Assuming the worst about people based on a tossed off joke sort of makes you sound as stupid as those you imagine to make fun of.
You really hit the nail on the head. In other words - Pot, meet Kettle.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:

a·mer·i·can

/əˈmerikən/

Adjective

Noun

Right on.

I'll repeat - out of all the countries in North, Central, and South America, the ONLY country that incorporates the word "America" into the name of the country is (wait for it, wait for it....)

THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

So - when shortening this rather long name, people the world over (not just citizens of the United States of America) use phrases which include, but are not limited to, terms like "American" or "America" (as in the song "God Bless America"). Other common monikers are "US," "USA," "the States," etc. But it would be a bit awkward to call someone a "Stater" or a "US-er" or a "Uniteder." Come on.

It's a nickname of sorts. People - get over it.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:16 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,109,486 times
@Kathryn. I agree. I've lived abroad. In much of the world, "America" and "American" still mean almost exclusively the United States. The Spanish-speaking world is different, and their preference for "EEUU," "norteamericano" and "estadounidense" is based on history. They feel we co-opted the name, as we were the first independent nation of the Americas and adopted the name "United States of America" at the end of the 18th century (with "America" and "American" as shorthand). This usage became universal everywhere except in Spanish-speaking countries. Fast-forward to 2013, and most Canadians still refer to us as "Americans" (99%+). Most Europeans still say "American" to describe us; a few Germans will say "US-Amerikaner" and some Italians prefer "statiuniti" (my Italian dictionary lists only "americano") but only the more "anti-imperialist" of Europeans have problems with "American" or "America." French, Québécois and Belgians who use "états-unien(ne)" in place of "American" tell you all you need to know about them.

But the traditional nomenclature endures. Except for people from the Spanish-speaking world, most people in the world still say "I will visit America" or "She's American" -- in Europe, in Asia, in Australia, in Africa, in the Middle East. Canadians might not say "America" (but some do), and 99.9% say "American." To suggest, as some posters here, that only people from the United States promote "America"/"American" is preposterous.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:04 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:

a·mer·i·can

/əˈmerikən/

Adjective

Noun

You've missed the whole point of my post

Old 04-09-2013, 10:09 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Yeah I'm with Kathryn on this, Singapore native here that's lived in India as well. American out in Asia is exclusively referring to people from the United States.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 04-09-2013 at 10:24 AM..

Old 04-09-2013, 11:05 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Maybe because in English "America" is widely used as "USA", while "Amérique" is not used that way in french, so saying that you live in "Amérique" doesn't imply that you live in the USA. English Canadians may not like saying they live in America because they don't want that it is understood as if they lived in the US...

In france, we have the "départements français d'Amérique"; which are obvioulsy not part of the US !
Good point. Of course, English Canadians tend to have an "issue" with their similarity to Americans (read = people from the United States). It's sort of like people from Luxembourg who like to think they are more like the French, when in reality they really are more like the Germans.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:18 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Good point. Of course, English Canadians tend to have an "issue" with their similarity to Americans (read = people from the United States). It's sort of like people from Luxembourg who like to think they are more like the French, when in reality they really are more like the Germans.
How about French-Canadians?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World