Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 06:37 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,870,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Good grief! this is rubbish, Americans are the same breed of Homo Sapiens as the rest of the world, they have the same 'bodies' they are as 'varied' as the rest of the world in their gait!!!!
Exactly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 06:52 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
So they dont all walk like John Wayne then..

Old 04-11-2013, 06:54 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,377,808 times
Quote:
Good grief! this is rubbish, Americans are the same breed of Homo Sapiens as the rest of the world, they have the same 'bodies' they are as 'varied' as the rest of the world in their gait!!!!
First smart comment on here!

Old 04-11-2013, 06:59 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,876,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling View Post
Is it true that Americans can be identified in other countries simply by the way they walk? I was speaking to a colleague who had traveled to Scotland and ordered food in a restaurant. When he went to pick it up the cashier already knew who that he was the one that called. He asked her how she knew and she said "you spoke with an American accent on the phone, and you walk like an American."

Anyone notice this before....
im glad you started this thread, I was thinking about this myself..is a walk like an accent in some ways?...does a person learn to walk in a certain way based on where they live/what country they are from? While in Europe you get the feeling that people walk differently to North Americans, hard to put into words though

Old 04-11-2013, 07:03 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,876,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Exactly
actually when ever we go to Europe its not hard to tell we aren't from there, its a combination of dress, walk and probably clothing

Old 04-11-2013, 07:11 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,407,463 times
We walk like Egyptians. Oh way-o.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:25 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I can't explain the difference, but I can often tell an American by the way they walk. It might be other aspects of body language, too. Americans walk as if it it is ordeal suddenly imposed upon them. Elsewhere, people walk as a much more natural part of their everyday life.

People learn to walk a certain way according to the surface they customarily walk on. Americans rarely walk outdoors, so it is mostly short distances indoors, with furniture and other objects in the way. Outdoors, Americans hardly ever need to walk anywhere besides a parlking lot, with hard, smooth, predictable surface. Conversely, in any third world country, most people walk at least an hour a day on streets or sidewalks that are broken and uneven, requiring constant attention to the walking surface, so their way of walking is very different. That even applies to a lot of places in the first world. Also, Americans walk almost always with high-quality shoes that fit their feet well, and their feet are undamaged from lifetime accidents while walking. Third world people have feet that have been subject to frequent injury, and wear poor quality shoes that don't fit well.

The kind of walking during a lifetime also affects posture, and when you see a person walking, it is mostly posture that is visible and present clues to walking experience. Americans sit a lot on comfortable and ergonomic furniture, and sleep on soft beds. In the third world, people stand more than they sit, furniture is uncomfortable or broken or non-existent, and they might sleep on the floor.

Nobody carries anything in America, except groceries from the car and trash to the curb. Third world people are constantly carrying things for great distances. Frequently carrying weight requires a natural gait and posture that is consistent with the efficient carriage.

I like to watch French films, just to watch the actresses walk. American women lean forward when they walk, French actresses lean back. It might have something to do with the height of the heels. French actresses all walk as if barefoot or wearing flats. Even your psychology can be reflected in your walk: Americans walk as if they are going somewhere, anxiously and purposefully. French women walk as if they are leaving somewhere, satisfied and contented.
A lot of Americans are into fitness and either have home gyms or have a gym membership, even in the burbs a lot of people are out going for a jog. If you to the city you see plenty of people walking around running errands. These things I would guess play a big factor on how we walk.

(I can't believe I'm having a conversation about how Ameicans walk.) lol

Old 04-11-2013, 08:39 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times
Quote:
I agree. People need to get a life if they're concerned about how others walk and make assumptions about them based on it.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:20 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,017,825 times
The only thing you can say with any level of certainty is that the older Americans probaly tend to walk more slowly than the younger ones!!!!!!

Old 04-11-2013, 09:27 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,050,257 times
Americans walk stooped over from carrying the freedom of the world on their backs, not to mention all the welfare recipients and illegal immigrants !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World