Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Brasília vs Canberra vs Ottawa
Brasília 4 9.09%
Canberra 9 20.45%
Ottawa 31 70.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 08:04 AM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times

Advertisements

I reckon it's a rarity for someone to have been to all three, eh?

Also, Ottawa isn't really a planned city in the same sense as the other two, is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 09:44 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I reckon it's a rarity for someone to have been to all three, eh?

Also, Ottawa isn't really a planned city in the same sense as the other two, is it?
No, Ottawa is not a planned city. Its origins were in the first half of the 1800s but it has had quite a bit of capital-esque planning starting around the turn of the 20th century. So it's kind of a mix of both. Though the planning has been exclusively limited to very specific areas that only cover a small portion of the city: federal government properties like buildings, instutions, parks, etc. But the vast majority of the city has been and continues to be planned and developed like any old city.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:19 AM

570 posts, read 509,327 times
I recently saw a video of Brasilia and it looks nice. Yes, it can be dangerous in comparison with Canberra and Ottawa, but those cities are such a bore! If I would have the option I would choose Brasilia; nice weather all year, blue sky, very green, and good national parks around.

Old 06-03-2020, 05:09 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times
I thought this on planned capital cities is interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-9BHftRCmk

Old 01-10-2023, 02:44 AM

2,303 posts, read 1,524,778 times
Canberra was designed by an American architect, Walter Burley Griffin, who won a competition for the design of the new capital, in 1912. At that time densely populated urban areas in many countries were unhealthy slums so it is understandable that he used the available land to design a spread out city with many parks and open spaces.

The planned tramways never eventuated (until the first one only this decade) and the beautiful deciduous trees would never be planted en masse these days as they are imported species. Canberra apparently can be a very comfortable place to live and it is very prosperous, having the highest median income in the country.

But as a tourist (we travel there every couple of years) it can be infuriating as, even with navigators, you seem to drive aimlessly round in circles. There is all this space but you cannot find a parking space.

It really is a city of contradictions, no real urban centre, yet very good restaurants and pubs.

Old 01-10-2023, 03:35 AM

6,384 posts, read 5,009,673 times
Honestly I'd be much more interested in seeing Canberra or Brasilia. Ottawa just seems like any other Canadian city.

Well, one thing interests me about Ottawa: I know it borders Gatineau, Quebec, and I'm curious how the interaction between the anglophone and francophone provinces works.

Old 01-10-2023, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Honestly I'd be much more interested in seeing Canberra or Brasilia. Ottawa just seems like any other Canadian city.

Well, one thing interests me about Ottawa: I know it borders Gatineau, Quebec, and I'm curious how the interaction between the anglophone and francophone provinces works.
"Official" and historic Ottawa in the centralmost part of the city is pretty nice - moreso than the downtowns of most Canadian cities with only a couple of exceptions. But yes most of Ottawa is a generic, not-run-down Canadian city. Not very different from, say, London, Ontario.

Old 01-10-2023, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8gen8 View Post
You mean Canada? Because the US has 50 metro area of over 1 million people that are older on average than Canada’s cities, so no, Ottawa isn’t very urban by a number of American cities in comparison, both large and small
For a city-lover, Ottawa offers higher-quality urbanity than the vast majority of US cities in its "weight class", population-wise.

Old 01-10-2023, 08:52 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,071,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8gen8 View Post
You mean Canada? Because the US has 50 metro area of over 1 million people that are older on average than Canada’s cities, so no, Ottawa isn’t very urban by a number of American cities in comparison, both large and small
He said "of it's size" ....which is a metro population of about 1.5 million....
so in comparison to similar size cities to Ottawa......not NYC, LA, Chicago....

Providence, Rhode Island ....founded 1636...metro population 1.6 million
Jacksonville, Florida.....founded 1822.....metro population 1.6 million
Milwaukee, Wisconsin....founded 1846....metro population 1.5 million
Oklahoma City......founded 1889....metro population 1.4 million
Raleigh, North Carolina...founded 1792....metro population 1.4 million
Memphis, Tennessee....founded 1819....metro population 1.3 million
Richmond, Virginia....founded 1737...metro population 1.3 million

Those are comparable US cities of a similar size to Ottawa.

Ottawa was founded as 'Bytown" in 1826....and renamed "Ottawa" in 1855.

Of the US cities...Providence sticks out as being much older...
and most aren't really more interesting to visit in comparison to Ottawa,
and Ottawa is just as urban ....if not more urban.

Old 01-10-2023, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
He said "of it's size" ....which is a metro population of about 1.5 million....
so in comparison to similar size cities to Ottawa......not NYC, LA, Chicago....

Providence, Rhode Island ....founded 1636...metro population 1.6 million
Jacksonville, Florida.....founded 1822.....metro population 1.6 million
Milwaukee, Wisconsin....founded 1846....metro population 1.5 million
Oklahoma City......founded 1889....metro population 1.4 million
Raleigh, North Carolina...founded 1792....metro population 1.4 million
Memphis, Tennessee....founded 1819....metro population 1.3 million
Richmond, Virginia....founded 1737...metro population 1.3 million

Those are comparable US cities of a similar size to Ottawa.

Ottawa was founded as 'Bytown" in 1826....and renamed "Ottawa" in 1855.

Of the US cities...Providence sticks out as being much older...
and most aren't really more interesting to visit in comparison to Ottawa,
and Ottawa is just as urban ....if not more urban.
Thanks for understanding that I wasn't comparing Ottawa to, say, Boston.

Even though ironically Boston city proper is quite a bit smaller than Ottawa city proper. But of course, Boston is still a much larger "city" than Ottawa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World