Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Brasília vs Canberra vs Ottawa
Brasília 4 9.09%
Canberra 9 20.45%
Ottawa 31 70.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 09:23 AM

354 posts, read 681,868 times

Advertisements

I apoligise if a similar thread had existed. But what are your opinions on the three "planned" capital cities with similar origins? For those who have been there, what do you guys think of the cityscape, architecture, people.. etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 06:05 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
What about Dodoma and Astana? Islamabad and New Delhi? Even Managua would fall into this category, having been completely rebuilt on new ground, outside the original capital destroyed by an earthquake.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:20 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
It's worth noting that Ottawa is significantly older then the other two cities, having been selected as a capital in the mid 19th century rather then the 20th, and having grown much more organically, with only minimal central planning until about 80 years into its history of a capital. It also, notably, grew as an industrial centre as well as a government one, with huge sawmills and industrial rail infrastructure. It still maintains an unusually diversified economy for a small purpose built federal capital, hosting its own significant high tech sector.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:38 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
It's worth noting that Ottawa is significantly older then the other two cities, having been selected as a capital in the mid 19th century rather then the 20th, and having grown much more organically, with only minimal central planning until about 80 years into its history of a capital. It also, notably, grew as an industrial centre as well as a government one, with huge sawmills and industrial rail infrastructure. It still maintains an unusually diversified economy for a small purpose built federal capital, hosting its own significant high tech sector.
Yeah, when it comes to being a planned capital city, Washington would fit the bill much more than Ottawa.

While you are correct about the planning moves that were made 80 years ago (known as the Gréber), these were more targeted initiatives than a comprehensive plan for the entire city. To be honest, a plan of this nature - related to its status of capital - Ottawa never really had. And so the city was basically built like any other North American city. And this is still the case.

Ottawa is basically a prosperous but run-of-the-mill North American city run by local people who tend to be extremely suspicious of anything that could be seen as ostentatious, peppered with occasional splashes of capital-esque grandeur (mostly concentrated in a few blocks downtown) spurred by the federal National Capital Commission.

It's a fine city in many ways but as a capital it often seems a bit unsatisfying.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:50 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,317,720 times
Ottawa. It's close to some pretty amazing cities (Toronto and Montreal) and has a dense urban core.

Brasilia while it has cool architecture, is WAY TOO SPREAD out and too car centric. Also it's a lot more isolated.

Canaberra same thing but really boring from I have heard though.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:20 AM

318 posts, read 625,875 times
Even though Canberra is the capital city of Australia and is home to Australian politics, I can safely say it's the most boring place I've ever visited in my life, too close to the country and bush for comfort (drive for 30 minutes, and you're in the country already!!!), it doesn't have that city feel unlike Sydney and Melbourne (it's not crowded, dense and urban at all) and it's just blah to me.

But Ottawa seems really interesting to me, like the poster above me said, that it's close to major cities in Canada and I dunno, I've always wanted to visit Canada.

As for Brasilia, Brazil has never interested me at all tbh, so I dunno much about it.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:19 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
What more do you expect from a city of 400,000? Canberra definitely has it's pluses. It's close to nature, I like the bush/garden feel, I like the lake, Parliament house is cool, National museum, war memorial...I actually find Canberra quite a cool place, I'm sick of people saying it's boring, what do they expect?

Old 04-13-2013, 02:34 AM

354 posts, read 681,868 times
I have picked these three cities arbitrarily, only based on the fact that they more or less planned or lesser known (ie not the biggest or most well know cities) capitals of these new world countries. The other cities mentioned may have been better threads be it on their own? Somehow I have the idea that Canberra and Ottawa are somewhat similar culturally, and Canberra and Brasilia shared a similar origin of an idealistic, "planned capital". All three have similar population relative to their country's population. Washington fits a lot of the criteria I was thinking of, but is a bit of an unfair comparison, I think, given it's the capital of the world superpower.

But with that said I have only been to Canberra and Ottawa. I find Canberra very interesting since politics and government dominates the city, it schools, and such. I think it is a very good tourist destination. Ottawa is very nice as well. I was there during the tulip festival and I do remember seeing some prominent château style architecture in the city which I don't see often elsewhere. Between the two I would give the edge to Ottawa, as I really enjoyed the museums there.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:18 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fikatid View Post
But with that said I have only been to Canberra and Ottawa. I find Canberra very interesting since politics and government dominates the city, it schools, and such. I think it is a very good tourist destination. Ottawa is very nice as well. I was there during the tulip festival and I do remember seeing some prominent château style architecture in the city which I don't see often elsewhere. Between the two I would give the edge to Ottawa, as I really enjoyed the museums there.
Canberra feels like Ottawa would if Ottawa had not already developed a bit as a ''real city'' before it was named the capital.

Today Ottawa provides much more of a true urban experience than Canberra does - it is also almost three times as big. (Not as much as Montreal and Toronto of course, but still pretty good for a North American city of is size.)

Old 04-13-2013, 08:12 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,605,104 times
Ottawa

Has nice parks.

Just the right size too at 1.4 million metro population.

Only 100 miles from Montreal and 250 miles from Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World