Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 07:07 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissfulmelody View Post
lol...

When I was a kid my dentist told me we must of had a substantial amount of naturally occurring fluoride in our well water since I had mild white staining on my teeth. I think there is a difference, though, in the naturally occurring kind versus the toxic waste stuff. At least, that is what I have read.
It's not toxic waste. Stop talking nonsense. It all depends on the quantity.

Last edited by Perfect Stranger; 04-18-2013 at 07:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 07:27 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
It's not toxic waste. Stop talking nonsense. It all depends on the quantity.
according to some sources it is in fact toxic waste.. .could this not be what the poster meant..

Fluoride is Toxic Waste (LITERALLY) - YouTube

Old 05-30-2013, 03:50 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
I thought this was interesting, and encouraging as well...Hungary destroys crops from Monsanto's GM seeds..
I've always hated that fluoride is put in the water...I've been lucky and drank well water long as I can remember...when I go to some places where they have that horrible stuff in the water I always have some of my own handy.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:59 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Japan halts imports of U.S. wheat after USDA's shock finding of genetic pollution from GMOs

Old 06-01-2013, 01:17 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times

Old 06-01-2013, 01:25 PM

Seriously though, I've been a strict vegetarian, borderline-vegan for 13 years... grow much of my own food and most of my herbs from entirely organic heirloom seeds in the wonderful California sun, and the rest of the produce I buy is largely USDA organic and GMO-free. However, I'm also a realist and not one to freak out over conspiracy theories plugged by people on YouTube.

Flouride can be toxic in very high doses and can lead to long-term health issues. So can sodium, which you get in large quantities via salt; incidentally, salt-heavy traditions in Chinese cooking has led to the proliferation of MSG in China, and as a result, they have the most deaths via stomach cancer in the world. Does this mean that salt is toxic? No, it means that excess quantities of salt, and specifically heavily processed salts, can be extremely dangerous over the long term.

The levels of fluoride in the US drinking supply are negligibly low. Now, the levels of fluoride that you'll find via many soda fountains are a cause for concern... hell, I was driving from SF to LA yesterday and stopped in a Taco Bell to refill my water bottle, and the water was sweet with a palpable fluoride/chlorine tinge. It was disgusting, and horrifying that there were dozens of kids getting loaded off of fluoridated, carbonated high-fructose corn syrup slop with their parents' hearty approval, don't get me wrong...

Old 06-05-2013, 11:48 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,626,386 times
Wow, talk about paranoia! Do people realize fluoride has been in almost all drinking water all across the US (not just in some cities) for many decades? This is not a new thing, not isolated to just a few areas. The benefits far outweigh any possible down sides (many of which are overblown paranoia). Anybody in most towns/cities who has ever had water from their tap has been ingesting fluoride, and it really is not an issue. I've never seen or even heard of anyone who has had any negative effects from this.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Wow, talk about paranoia! Do people realize fluoride has been in almost all drinking water all across the US (not just in some cities) for many decades?
And it's been irking the crazies for many decades, too:

Dr. Strangelove - Water Fluoridation - YouTube

Old 06-06-2013, 07:31 PM

A big part of it is a fundamental lack of understanding of science and chemistry. Fluoride is a binary compound that can take many different forms, and have many different applications and effects depending on how they are administered and to what dose. People freak out and dump a brick because, "OH MY GOD, THE NAZIS USED SODIUM FLUORIDE!!" Yeah, you know who else uses it? Your dentist. Fluoride also occurs naturally in all water, and as such, is present in most foods. Is this a conspiracy by the planet earth to control the minds of the people of these United States, or is it simply a naturally-occurring compound that, as is the case with many other things, humans have figured out how to isolate, reproduce, and add to other things?

Fluoridation of water isn't necessary, but it's also not poison.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:29 AM

744 posts, read 1,091,666 times
There is nothing wrong with fluoridated water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World