Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 12:07 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times

Advertisements

No.

First, it's far from comfortable. It's a humid tropical climate for crying out loud. Yuck.

Second, I hear it has a relatively high crime rate.

Third, it's too touristy. I'd rather holiday there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 04:18 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,955,693 times
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
No.

First, it's far from comfortable. It's a humid tropical climate for crying out loud. Yuck.

Second, I hear it has a relatively high crime rate.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:20 AM

103 posts, read 128,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
This is what I was talking about with my BF who is european

we hypothesize that if you take black people, latinos, asians out of america, the US would be like a white, christian version of Saudi Arabia!!!!

I mean look at America's coolest, most interesting subcultures (music, architecture, food, scientific contributions), they are there because of blacks, latinos, asians.....

America's architecture mostly (art-deco is used a lot in the US) is French as french can be!!!! (notice that anglos are allergic to the french though)

America's music (jazz, funk, rock, soul) has black people written all over it!!!

America's local cuisine (tex-mex, baja, southwest grill, jambalaya etc.) have latino and creole written all over it.

Go to the headquarters of Nasa, go to a hospital in the US and the VAST majority of people are asians or indians!!!

so what is exactly so UNIQUE and great about anglo-america that has to be cherished? shopping malls and a workaholic lifestyle?
And what is wrong with America becoming a white christian version of Saudi Arabia?!?!? haha Everyone would have two heterosexual parents and no need for adoptions . There would be laws passed that bans any type of sexual activity before marriage and all women would have to wear dresses to their ankles at all times. . No abortions . Just a beautiful Christian paradise, who wouldn't want to live in a country like that. Just kidding. lol

Old 11-08-2014, 02:30 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Miami is the only place in the US I would live, that is why I live in Miami now.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:44 AM

37 posts, read 59,843 times
No I wouldn't live in Miami as I hear lots of areas can be pretty dangerous and it has one of the higher crime rates in the US, I would avoid Florida altogether, it houses some particularly nasty criminals and gangs and the overly Cuban population in Miami contributes to the danger. I'm not a fan of tropical, humid weather either and wouldn't like it, not really a beachgoer either, plus I hear the area is known for cyclones and some pretty bad thunderstorms and hurricanes, I'd prefer somewhere like NY or California over Miami.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:34 PM

376 posts, read 1,866,935 times
Miami might not be everyone's "cup of tea" but you have to admit, it's probably one of the most beautiful new world cities. From the beaches, to the intercoastal waterways, ocean, bays, landscaping, nightlife, restaurants, shopping & architecture. It's diverse, cosmopolitan, international and scenic. The city is going through a major construction boom downtown. New museums as well as a performing arts center just opened. I really don't think Miami has too many competitors considering its gorgeous climate and relaxed vibe. This is coming from someone that has traveled the world. I appreciate all the world has to offer, good and bad. There are many worse places to live in including other 1st world countries cities whether its Europe, Canada, South America or Australia.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:21 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
I live in Miami and outside of a few select areas such as Miami Beach, Brickell, Gables, and Coconut Grove it to be a bland boring wasteland of strip malls, cheap housing, and just an uninteresting town.

Yes, dowtown and Brickell are cool, yes Miami Beach is beautiful by the beach....

but what else does it actualy have going for it? Besides huge swaths of boring inland areas mostly filled with nothing? Like as if Hialeah is some gem? lol, no. Kendall is a surburban bore filled with Panera breads, starbucks, and furniture outlets, north miami and opa locka are ghetto. Cutler bay is again, more suburban houses with nothing going on. Aventura is basically a shopping mall....oh wow! a shopping mall that can be found anywhere in America with the same stores as any mall has. Macy's?!?!?!!? wowowowowow. an H&M? omg! a Louis Vuitton store!! LOL! push-lease. There's no independent stores or boutiques anywhere, except for many a small section of lincold rd. like 3...that's it

Give me California any day of the week. Most more beautiful inside and out.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:11 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I live in Miami and outside of a few select areas such as Miami Beach, Brickell, Gables, and Coconut Grove it to be a bland boring wasteland of strip malls, cheap housing, and just an uninteresting town.

Yes, dowtown and Brickell are cool, yes Miami Beach is beautiful by the beach....

but what else does it actualy have going for it? Besides huge swaths of boring inland areas mostly filled with nothing? Like as if Hialeah is some gem? lol, no. Kendall is a surburban bore filled with Panera breads, starbucks, and furniture outlets, north miami and opa locka are ghetto. Cutler bay is again, more suburban houses with nothing going on. Aventura is basically a shopping mall....oh wow! a shopping mall that can be found anywhere in America with the same stores as any mall has. Macy's?!?!?!!? wowowowowow. an H&M? omg! a Louis Vuitton store!! LOL! push-lease. There's no independent stores or boutiques anywhere, except for many a small section of lincold rd. like 3...that's it

Give me California any day of the week. Most more beautiful inside and out.
What makes you like CA more? Just curious.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:35 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Not for me. I love the Art Deco architecture but there isn't enough of it to make up for the modern architecture. I like Historical cities.

Also Miami is too hot, too humid for me, too big and though it is very vibrant with a Central/South American vibe and Caribbean influences I prefer more "cultural" cities. Miami to me is far too much about "beautiful people" , fashion, style over substance and trendy people. There is something really shallow and hedonistic about it which does not appeal.

Florida is not really my kind of State on the whole. I would much prefer Northern California, Oregon or most places in New England. By far.

I f I had to live in the US I would choose somewhere like Boston, San Francisco or somewhere like Coastal Maine or Monterey.
What is not "cultural" about Latin America? It seems from your sentence that you only find European culture to be interesting or "true culture".

Old 11-26-2014, 10:37 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Good luck in 20 years when much of southern Florida is gonna be Hispanic lol. Southern Texas is already majority Hispanic and has been for decades, and of course SoCal as well. Only warm places in North America that speak English is going to be the English Caribbean
And Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World