U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 04:09 AM

8,024 posts, read 10,930,248 times

Advertisements

Of course you would lol.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 08:59 AM

2,300 posts, read 3,262,794 times
I live in Toronto, but spend lots of time in New York. Never been to London or LA. Going on the stats alone, Toronto beats out the other three in terms of foreign-born residents. However, ethnic diversity can't necessarily be deduced by going on % of foreign-born residents alone.

New York and Toronto
New York has lots of diversity, but the vast majority of residents are white, black, or Latin American (of course I am aware that within these groups, there are a plethora of ethnicities, but for white and black residents in NYC, most of them have been in the US for several generations, which has made them thoroughly American). Of course, New York has residents from all over the world, but the % of residents those other ethnicities represent is quite small compared to the three I mentioned. Meanwhile, Toronto's ethnic diversity is more varied, and its white population represents far more recent arrivals to the country from a wide variety of ethnicities, which I think makes Toronto's white diversity greater than New York's. Ditto with its black population.

So even though Toronto's white population makes up 52% of its population, close to half that number are first or second-generation Canadians who still speak their native languages at home and live in tight-knit communities. I think this means that Toronto's white population is more diverse than New York's which are mostly Americanized and whose families have been in the country for close to 100 years or longer. In other words, the 52% figure for whites in Toronto can be misleading because these white people are divided between many ethnic groups who are mostly recent arrivals (the last 40-50 years) compared to NYC whites, which make up 47% of that city's population and are far more Americanized. The same is true of the two cities' black population. Toronto's is much smaller (almost 9% of the population) compared to New York's (26%), and our Latin American population doesn't even compare (2.6% in Toronto vs. 27% in NYC).

If you've been doing the math, white, black, and Latin American makes up 100% of New York's population according the stats I quoted from Wikipedia. Of course, this can be explained by Latin Americans (especially Cubans, Dominicans and Puerto Ricans) who could consider themselves Latin American, black, white, and/or mixed race. At the same time, black people may also consider themselves Latin American or mixed race. This helps explain the following stats for New York, where mixed race makes up 4.9% of the population, Asian makes up 9.8% of the population, and other makes up 14%, putting the total percentage at about 129%. Regardless, it's obvious that the vast majority of New York residents are either white, black, or Latin American.

Toronto, on the other hand, has a similar (but more culturally diverse, considering their more recent arrival in Canada compared to New York's white population) % of white residents, but a much smaller % of Latin American and black residents (and Toronto's black population is at least as ethnically diverse as New York's). This leaves 36% of the population divided among a plethora of ethnic groups, including East Asian, Middle Eastern, South Asian, Filipino, African (especially East African), and others, which make up a greater % of Toronto's population that it does New York's.

With all this considered, I believe Toronto is a more culturally diverse city than NYC.

LA and Toronto
As for LA, I think the situation is similar to New York's, with the vast majority of the population being black, white, or Latin American. It may have a large % of first generation non-white residents, but they are going to be primarily Mexican or Central American. Asians make up roughly 10% of LA's population, and other races make up 25.2%. Again, Wikipedia's numbers add up to more than 100%, but for the same reasons as in New York. So while LA has an extremely heterogenous population, it is not that diverse, because the vast majority of its ethnic diversity comes from only three ethnic groups.

Based on this information, LA might be slightly more diverse than NYC, but not as diverse as Toronto.

Conclusions
Taking all this into consideration, I believe London and Toronto are the most ethnically diverse cities of the group. Which of the two is the most diverse is not something I feel like researching right now....maybe someone else wants to figure that out, otherwise I'll do the research and post my results another time.

Last edited by TOkidd; 04-25-2013 at 09:13 AM..

Old 04-25-2013, 05:33 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,198,950 times
I don't really get how you're measuring diversity...for example you're saying NYC is less diverse than London because three ethno-racial groups dominate its population (White, Black and Hispanic) but then London's population is equally dominated by Whites, South Asians and Blacks, so...

Old 04-26-2013, 10:23 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,073,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Of course you would lol.
It's interesting that Toronto is so diverse. Given the actual statistics, you could actually compare Toronto to these 3 heavyweights. However, it's nearly the only comparison you could ever include Toronto in with these other cities. Having traveled to all four of these cities extensively, Toronto is the *much* smaller outlier. It just seems small but it's interesting that it is so diverse.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:36 AM

24,940 posts, read 31,884,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
It's interesting that Toronto is so diverse. Given the actual statistics, you could actually compare Toronto to these 3 heavyweights. However, it's nearly the only comparison you could ever include Toronto in with these other cities. Having traveled to all four of these cities extensively, Toronto is the *much* smaller outlier. It just seems small but it's interesting that it is so diverse.
Canadian immigration policy will do that to you. Or at least to a country's major city.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:56 PM

Manchester???

Europe's most exotic city? It's Manchester! 153 languages spoken by a population of 500,000 | Mail Online

Old 04-26-2013, 04:37 PM

I think the borough of Queens, NY is hard to beat. Truly no group dominates.

White non-Hispanic: 27.6%
Hispanic: 27.5%
Black: 18.8%
East Asian: 15.1%
South Asian: 7.8%

Among the Hispanic population, while Puerto Ricans and Dominicans together make up the majority in the other boroughs, in Queens no group truly dominates: 4.6% Puerto Rican, 4.4% Ecuadorian, 4.2% Mexican, 3.9% Dominican, 3.3% Colombian.

And of course Asian nationalities are well represented, far more than anywhere else in NYC.. Among East Asians for instance it's 9% Chinese, 2.9% Korean and 1.7% Filipino and South Asians, 5.3% Indian and 1.5% Bangladeshi.

West Indians represent 6.8% of the population, over a third of the Black population. The white population includes most of the city's Greeks, numerous people from the former Soviet countries, I believe the largest number of Irish immigrants in NYC and most of the city's Middle Easterners (who are counted as white in the US). It wouldn't surprise me if 1st and 2nd-generation whites outnumber "Ellis Island stock" in Queens.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:22 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,339,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
The thread is about diversity, not size.

Of course Toronto is much smaller than LA NYC and London in terms of size.
All 4 cities are very diverse, however IMO Toronto comes out slightly ahead when it comes to diversity.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:31 PM

I wonder what % of Londoners can claim French Huguenot ancestry!

Old 04-27-2013, 03:21 PM

What about the next tier down. I'm thinking Paris and Amsterdam, Sydney and Melbourne, the Bay Area, Greater Washington and Miami/South Florida, and Vancouver and maybe Montreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World