U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 11:24 PM

6,811 posts, read 9,595,811 times

Advertisements

What in your opinion would be the 10 most unique cities in the world?

Factor in culture, architecture, food, accents/dialects/languages, or anything else you'd like to use.

Pictures are also fine, please make sure they're not copy-right material and that you're authorized to post them, if not then a link to the picture should suffice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 04:55 AM

8,024 posts, read 10,941,751 times
Bruges, Belgium
Seville, Spain
St Petursburg, Russia
Tokyo, Japan
Le Paz, Bolivia
Brasilia, Brazil
Edinburgh, Scotland
Perth, Australia
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Los Angles, USA

Old 05-02-2013, 02:16 PM

9,031 posts, read 9,617,102 times
Istanbul
Venice
Paris
New Orleans
San Francisco
Havana
Prague
Medellín
Hong Kong
Tijuana

Honorable mention:
Montréal
Marseille
Cape Town
Budapest
Curitiba
Lhasa
Berlin
Barcelona
Astana
Dubai

Last edited by pch1013; 05-02-2013 at 02:51 PM..

Old 05-02-2013, 09:06 PM

2,464 posts, read 2,895,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post
What in your opinion would be the 10 most unique cities in the world?

Factor in culture, architecture, food, accents/dialects/languages, or anything else you'd like to use.

Pictures are also fine, please make sure they're not copy-right material and that you're authorized to post them, if not then a link to the picture should suffice.
Of the cities i've been to, in no particular order:

NYC
Tokyo
HK
Rio
Venice
Amsterdam
Jerusalem
Barcelona
Vegas

Lots of candidates for #10...

Old 05-03-2013, 03:28 AM

16,287 posts, read 15,128,732 times
San Marino in Italy... beautiful place with scenic beauty Ive never seen the likes of....

San Marino: Travel & Tourist Guide | Italy Heaven

Old 05-03-2013, 03:52 AM

8,495 posts, read 12,398,155 times
In my view and experience, one city stands out for uniqueness: Venice.

The last of the great pre-industrial Mediterranean, mostly sea-faring, empires, with an almost completely forgotten 1,000 year history, La Serenissima, built exactly for that purpose, its splendid architecture almost perfectly preserved, stuck in history and slowly sinking.

Napoleon brought its history to a close on the cusp of the industrial era and no one would ever rebuild such a city for the purpose that it was originally built.

It's industrial-era counterpart is Mestre.

While other cities such as Rome and Istanbul preserve much of their splendid historical architecture, they are also evolving industrial-era cities, especially Istanbul over the past 20 years or so, and it seems to have bright prospects going forward.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:24 AM

42,661 posts, read 80,283,581 times
In no particular order, most of which I've been to:

Venice, Italy
Pyongyang, North Korea
Macao, China
La Paz, Bolivia
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Mamaus, Brazil
Lhasa, Tibet, China
Mogadishu, Somalia
Las Vegas, Nevada
Arica, Chile

Old 05-03-2013, 11:00 AM

4,557 posts, read 5,706,989 times
Macao:
The mix of Portuguese and Chinese culture really amazed me, probably the most unique city I've ever been to. Totally loved it. It's a pitty, though, that there is so much gambling going on at night. The city centre is basically dead, some street cafes would have been lovely. Huge plus: It only takes one hour to get there from Hong Kong.

Venice:
Yep, it's unique. I don't particularly like it, though. It feels a bit like Disneyland. Too many tourists, too many places that just want to rip you off.

Tallinn:
Probably the best conserved Hansa city. Lovely centre, good nightlife, great architecture.

Havana:
Never been there, but I imagine it amazing. Kind of bizarre, because of the communist system implemented there.

Karyes, Greece:
That place is weird. 200 inhabitants. Capital of the Autonomous Monastic State of the Holy Mountain. The number of daily visitors to Mount Athos is restricted, and all are required to obtain a special entrance permit valid for a limited period. Only males are permitted to visit the territory. The monasteries are definitely worth a visit, though.

Berlin:
It's not that beautiful and it still feels like it's stuck between east and west. But boy... The parties there are wild. Wouldn't want to live there, but a visit every now and then is quite nice.

Thimphu:
Looks like a Lhasa without the Han Chinese to me. I definitely want to go there

Pyongyang:
Also on my list. Definitely wins the prize for being the capital of the creepiest country on earth.

Algiers:
A piece of Europe in Africa. The French built a city that was designed to be the Paris of North Africa. Better still, it is a Paris with great beaches and the African sun.

Why didn't I include NYC, Tokyo, Hong Kong or Seoul? Well, they are all more or less the same.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:33 AM

797 posts, read 1,066,107 times
Paris
Rome
London
Montreal
Toronto
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
NYC
Las Vegas
Dubai
Rio De Janeiro
Jerusalem
Tokyo
Hong Kong
Sydney

Old 05-03-2013, 12:28 PM

8,024 posts, read 10,941,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
Paris
Rome
London
Montreal
Toronto
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
NYC
Las Vegas
Dubai
Rio De Janeiro
Jerusalem
Tokyo
Hong Kong
Sydney
A few of your cities are similar to other countries on your list, never mind unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World