U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: EU or USA
European Union 119 45.25%
USA 144 54.75%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 11:54 AM

53 posts, read 273,134 times

Advertisements

Wow, thats the biggest BS post I have ever read lol. Most European cities are 1000 years old.

And yes, there are areas here and there where "light skinned" people are treated like outsiders but it is no better than the US and these are exceptions. Having lived on both continents I will allow myself to say that the "racial" problems are bigger in the US.

As for the Army comment, I am ot even going to go into that.
Rate this post positively

Old 05-05-2013, 11:54 AM

797 posts, read 1,065,301 times
Seriously those who compare weather forecast for today, yesterday and next few days is very silly. You need to look at CLIMATE, not weather.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:42 PM

5,873 posts, read 6,864,627 times
Was not Long Island hit hard by Hurricane Sandy? I am glad I do not live in an area prone to so many natural distasters. In 2011 I was stuck in Las Vegas for several days due to Hurricane Irene.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:30 PM

22,100 posts, read 23,307,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Was not Long Island hit hard by Hurricane Sandy? I am glad I do not live in an area prone to so many natural distasters. In 2011 I was stuck in Las Vegas for several days due to Hurricane Irene.
A severe hurricane hitting New York City is a once in a 50 year event, if that. You're probably more likely to suffer from volcanic ash somewhere in Europe. Just sayin. :-) Weather is a non-issue in most of the U.S. or Europe.

The U.S. is better for making money. Europe is better for enjoying culture. Both are rich places. That's pretty much the bottom line for me. Still, I will say that the northeastern U.S. comes the closest to approximating the cultural experience/history of western Europe, imo.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:39 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,605,534 times
@Alex. You made an excellent point. Western Europe and Canada don't have to worry about their security, which is taken care of by U.S. taxpayers. The U.S. Army, Air Force and Marines make sure that any conceivable outside threat to Paris and Vancouver remain in the realm of fantasy. Thus, Europe and Canada have the wherewithal to fund much more generous social systems. Although one might argue that the U.S. could reduce its military spending (and I would agree), very few people in the United States, liberal or conservative, would reduce it by very much. America's military still has to be large and modern enough to protect the U.S. and its allies, and those allies include Canada and Europe. It's America's burden and Europe's and Canada's good fortune.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
A severe hurricane hitting New York City is a once in a 50 year event, if that. You're probably more likely to suffer from volcanic ash somewhere in Europe. Just sayin. :-) Weather is a non-issue in most of the U.S. or Europe.
The volcanic ash only interrupted flights. It did not cause power outages or destroyed infrastructure.

List of costliest Atlantic hurricanes

Old 05-05-2013, 02:03 PM

24,257 posts, read 21,664,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
Scandinavia has generally horrible climate. Little sunshine, moderate to heavy snow, short winter daylight, mild to occasionally warm short summers, and cold to bitter cold winters.

Western Europe has more like 3 season climate with chilly, often gloomy and rainy winters (occasional snow), and mild to occasional warm summers with little sunshine.

Southern Europe (Mediterranean) has warm to hot summers, lots of sunshine, but cool/mild and often gloomy winters. Not any tropical heat though.

The main problem with most of Europe is lack of sunshine and many days with rain. Many cities like Paris, London, Amsterdam lack real winter. Summer should have been slightly warmer too.
Many parts of Scandinavia are warmer in winter than a large part of the US. All of the capitals have equally cold winters as Detroit. Which means they are warmer than the Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, almost all of Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire. And of course many parts of other states.
Chicago is snowier than Stockholm, Oslo and Copenhagen, and equally snowy as Helsinki. I like snow, so good for me.
Stockholm and Helsinki are in fact sunnier than Berlin, Amsterdam, London among others. Higher latitude don't mean automatically less sunshine. Nice sunny months can have 70-75% of possible sunshine, which is comparable to Chicago.
But yes, all of the US except Alaska is warmer during the 6 warmest months, and a big chunk of the US is sunnier than Northern and Central Europe. I give you guys that. But compared to latitude, Scandinavia is the mildest location in the world. All 12 months are warmer in Tampere, southcentral Finland than in Yellowstone, Canada. Both at rouhghly the same latitude.

And short days in winter -> long days in summer. And what is better than that? When it's the warmest period of the year, the days can be 18 or 19 hours long.

Western Europe has gloomy and rainy winters for a big part, and that's a minus. BUT, Southern half of Germany, Austria, Hungary, Central France and The Balkans are as warm as NYC in spring. Even if NYC is warmer in summer, spring is very similar. Autumns are also quite the same. Warmer summers don't always mean that the springs would also be much warmer.

I don't know what tropical heat is, but is 100F enough? The Mediterranean interior gets those temps quite often in summer. Athens has hit 118F.

The stereotype that London, Paris and Amsterdam would be very rainy, is false. London gets annually 23 inches of rain, Paris 25.5 in. DC gets almost 40 inches. All of Maine to Florida is wetter than London and Paris. Most of Europe is drier than all of the eastern US. We get less than 3 inches in April-May combined. On the other hand, the precipitation patterns are more stable in Europe, so many parts of US suffers much more of drought.

So:

sunshine goes to US
hot summers goes to US
mild spring goes to EU
mild winters goes to EU
snow goes to US
rain goes to US
tornadoes goes to US
hurricanes goes to US
natural disasters go to US
drought goes to US
extreme cold goes to US
extreme heat goes to US
extreme humidity goes to US
thunderstorms goes to US

Conclusion: safer and generally milder climate in the EU, extreme weather to the US. The rest is subjective which one you prefer.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:28 PM

24,257 posts, read 21,664,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
@Alex. You made an excellent point. Western Europe and Canada don't have to worry about their security, which is taken care of by U.S. taxpayers. The U.S. Army, Air Force and Marines make sure that any conceivable outside threat to Paris and Vancouver remain in the realm of fantasy. Thus, Europe and Canada have the wherewithal to fund much more generous social systems. Although one might argue that the U.S. could reduce its military spending (and I would agree), very few people in the United States, liberal or conservative, would reduce it by very much. America's military still has to be large and modern enough to protect the U.S. and its allies, and those allies include Canada and Europe. It's America's burden and Europe's and Canada's good fortune.
No he didn't. The US has never protected my country and I don't feel unsafe at all. There is not a single country that threatens the European Union, we don't need protection. Except for some lunatics in Iran and North Korea, not a single nation on the Earth wants Europe any harm. And there is not a single country in the world that can threaten Europe.
My country has lost a few soldiers since 1945. How many able bodied American men have died and been wounded since 1945? Think about that.

And we can protect ourselves. Always have. Even during the Cold War the UK and France had nuclear weapons, and UK, France, Germany and Italy had massive stockpiles of tanks, airplanes, artillery, chemical weapons and manpower, that the Soviet Union would have took enormous losses, or being unable at all to conquer Europe in conventional warfare. Also the smaller nations were well prepared for a third World War. We couldn't have won the Cold War by ourselves, but we could have maintained the Status Quo.

The military spending vs social service point is also false. All European countries spent a lot more on the military and military research during the Cold War, and still were able to spend a lot of money on education and social service. We wanted to do that. The downscaling of forces begun only after the Cold War. Same goes for the US. You could spend five times less on your military, and still no-one could threaten you. It's your choice to spend rediculous amounts of money on military power, it's not a necessity.
But you know what? Raise your taxes and spend it all on social service and education! You can still afford to spend as much on military.

USA has been a world police and a ruthless brute sometimes, and most people in the world do not accept it. Remember what happened after 9/11? You had the symphaties of the whole world, and you were stupid enough to lose it. A few years later, most of the world hated you for some years. G. W. Bush goes probably down to history as the most worldwidely hated US president ever.
Wars bring only more hatred, death, suffering, economical loss and the feel for revenge. We know it. We took the worst damage of two World Wars.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:15 PM

320 posts, read 548,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No he didn't. The US has never protected my country and I don't feel unsafe at all. There is not a single country that threatens the European Union, we don't need protection. Except for some lunatics in Iran and North Korea, not a single nation on the Earth wants Europe any harm. And there is not a single country in the world that can threaten Europe.
My country has lost a few soldiers since 1945. How many able bodied American men have died and been wounded since 1945? Think about that.

And we can protect ourselves. Always have. Even during the Cold War the UK and France had nuclear weapons, and UK, France, Germany and Italy had massive stockpiles of tanks, airplanes, artillery, chemical weapons and manpower, that the Soviet Union would have took enormous losses, or being unable at all to conquer Europe in conventional warfare. Also the smaller nations were well prepared for a third World War. We couldn't have won the Cold War by ourselves, but we could have maintained the Status Quo.

The military spending vs social service point is also false. All European countries spent a lot more on the military and military research during the Cold War, and still were able to spend a lot of money on education and social service. We wanted to do that. The downscaling of forces begun only after the Cold War. Same goes for the US. You could spend five times less on your military, and still no-one could threaten you. It's your choice to spend rediculous amounts of money on military power, it's not a necessity.
But you know what? Raise your taxes and spend it all on social service and education! You can still afford to spend as much on military.

USA has been a world police and a ruthless brute sometimes, and most people in the world do not accept it. Remember what happened after 9/11? You had the symphaties of the whole world, and you were stupid enough to lose it. A few years later, most of the world hated you for some years. G. W. Bush goes probably down to history as the most worldwidely hated US president ever.
Wars bring only more hatred, death, suffering, economical loss and the feel for revenge. We know it. We took the worst damage of two World Wars.
Without the U.S. protection, Russia or China would take over your entire continent, you are very ungrateful.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex =] View Post
Without the U.S. protection, Russia or China would take over your entire continent, you are very ungrateful.
China... Hahaha. Russia is not superpower anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World