U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: EU or USA
European Union 119 45.25%
USA 144 54.75%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 04:29 PM

3,719 posts, read 6,460,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
Never seen any gun stores anywhere in America... I feel safer in most of America than in most European cities and suburbs.
I was reading somewhere that you are more likely to win an Oscar then get shot in america.
Rate this post positively

Old 05-05-2013, 04:30 PM

28,727 posts, read 27,941,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex =] View Post
Without the U.S. protection, Russia or China would take over your entire continent, you are very ungrateful.
What? How would China have done it? What part of history are you suddenly diverging here because you'd have to go way off course for that to happen. Even Russia would have to take some sort of rough post-World War II digression where the Third Reich wasn't successful without US intervention and a slew of other things happening. This seems like a weird spinning of nothing.

Also, does it seem like people are missing that the topic was about the European Union and not Europe in general?

Old 05-05-2013, 04:39 PM

28,727 posts, read 27,941,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
I was reading somewhere that you are more likely to win an Oscar then get shot in america.
Well, you can see how that's obviously not true in any way, shape, or form, unless you're restricting it to something like "an oscar nominee is more likely to win an oscar than get shot in America." There are something like a hundred thousand people shot every year in the US either intentionally or unintentionally--we most definitely do not award anywhere near a hundred thousand Oscars a year.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:45 PM

1,736 posts, read 1,679,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex =] View Post
Without the U.S. protection, Russia or China would take over your entire continent, you are very ungrateful.
Alex, just 3 countries in Europe -Germany, France and the UK- together have bigger military budgets than Russia and China put together.

The military budgets of the European countries in the EU is 400 % of what Russia spends on its military. (2009 SIPRI numbers). And what military assets Russia has, are so old and badly maintained that it has serious problems surviving deployment, far less contact with anthing hostile. Like a seagull.

China, for all its size, is a local power with neither ability nor desire to operate that far from its homebases.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:50 PM

10,479 posts, read 13,619,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
I feel safer in most of America than in most European cities and suburbs.
You shouldn't, the stats don't lie.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
You shouldn't, the stats don't lie.
Correct, the UK actually has a bit more crimes per year per person.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:52 PM

What do you guys think of my post...number 52.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:04 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,698,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Correct, the UK actually has a bit more crimes per year per person.
No, it doesn't. I don't know why you keep repeating this when you've been shown the OECD crime statistics numerous times.

Comparisons of crime in OECD countries

Old 05-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Status: "We're all broken, that's how the light gets in." (set 25 days ago)

56,063 posts, read 44,422,312 times
As an American who has traveled throughout Europe, and lived in Germany for three years - and who goes back regularly to Europe on vacation (every couple of years), though I enjoy the time I spend in Europe, I much prefer living in the United States - especially in Texas and in the American south.

I am not here to bash other countries or regions but I'll just tell you what I love about Texas. I love the low cost of living. I love the affordable housing, the excellent roads, the wide open spaces and the strong economy. I love the people - their friendliness and their work ethic as well as their independent mindset. I love the mix of cultures (mainly Southern American, American West, German, and Mexican) as well as our large and vibrant cities which have so much international charm (Texas is home to six of the top twenty largest cities in the US). I love the mild winters and am grateful for so many rivers, lakes, and air conditioned venues during our hot summers. I love high school football on Friday nights, and parties under the oak trees, with lights strung in the branches, Willie Nelson, George Strait, and Lyle Lovett playing in the background, and friends and family laughing over some cold beer and BBQ'd ribs. I LOVE the fabulous music scene in Texas as well.

It's a great life.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
No, it doesn't. I don't know why you keep repeating this when you've been shown the OECD crime statistics numerous times.

Comparisons of crime in OECD countries
I thought it was, thanks for the information...reading it i noticed it was based on reported crime, america does have a lot of police men and FBI and stuff...it seems a bit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.