U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: EU or USA
European Union 119 45.25%
USA 144 54.75%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 11:02 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,519,733 times

Advertisements

@cali. I don't think NY has a higher life expectancy, but it is a bit over 80, comparable to most European countries. Hawaii's is also over 80. The total mean life exp. of the US is barely 78, but that is about the same as Denmark's. (Again, last I checked, Denmark is not a horrible place, and America has higher levels of obesity than Europe does.)
Rate this post positively

Old 05-04-2013, 11:06 AM

3,719 posts, read 6,457,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
1.How can they be wrong if they are FACTS? Croatia, Montenegro, Albania and Ukraine don't have EU membership.

2.Only 10 out of 50 States + DC recognize same-sex marriage , the Northeast and Westcoast is pretty tolerant but everything in between is mostly anti-gay.

3.European Alpha Cities: London, Paris, Milan, Madrid, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Brussels, Dublin, Munich, Warsaw, Vienna, Barcelona, Lisbon. That's 13, 3 more than the USA.

European Beta Cities: Dusseldorf, Stockholm, Prague, Rome, Hamburg, Berlin, Athens, Copenhagen, Budapest, Luxembourg, Bucharest, Manchester, Birmingham, Bratislava, Stuttgart, Cologne, Helsinki. That's 17, 9 more than the USA (Houston, Seattle, Minneapolis, Detroit, Denver, St.Louis, San Diego, Cleveland)

European Gamma Cities: Glasgow, Bristol, Antwerp, Edinburgh, Riga, Valencia, Lyon, Leeds, Vilnius, Rotterdam, Tallinn, Porto, Gothenburg, Marseille, Ljubljana, Turin, Southampton. That's 17, 2 more than the USA (Cincinnati, Charlotte, Baltimore, Portland, San Jose, Kansas City, Phoenix, Tampa, Columbus, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Orlando, Richmond, Austin, Milwaukee).
and...? read my post again, of course Europe will have more alpaha cities but america has more alpaha cities than any of them in fact you said it yourself america almost has just as much alpha cities as ALL OF EUROPE. Anyway i still proved you wrong, you said that america has higher unemployment rate than most of europe. Guess what found i found most of europe actually has a higher unemployment rate than america. Thats pretty sad. Just because they haven't legalized gay marriage in the other states doesn't mean its mostly anti-gay. So i proved you wrong in the first post and now your coming back with twisted words for example alpha cities. You didnt even talk about unemployment and when you talked about alpha cities you twisted my words and came back saying europe as a whole has more alpha cities.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
@cali. I don't think NY has a higher life expectancy, but it is a bit over 80, comparable to most European countries. Hawaii's is also over 80. The total mean life exp. of the US is barely 78, but that is about the same as Denmark's. (Again, last I checked, Denmark is not a horrible place, and America has higher levels of obesity than Europe does.)
New york city life expectancy is more than many countries but then again its unfair to compare cities with countries so whats your point? Just to tell me more information i already know?

Old 05-04-2013, 11:19 AM

12,893 posts, read 12,354,192 times
I would choose Europe to live (generally) speaking over the U.S as I believe the people of most European countries share more similar values to Canadians than vice versa. Europeans are more open minded and tolerant imo.

I do think this is an unfair comparison however, because it is comparing the cultural breadth, history and diversity of a continent versus one country..

Europe is better located on a global scale as well... you have naturally Europe (Where else can you find a greater number of powerhouse cities and destinations in such a small area? simple NOWHERE) - and additionally most parts of Asia and Africa are more accessible. travel is cheap too with more options.

When I was in Istanbul in February I met a German couple who were just visiting for the long weekend - I mean how cool is that?

Old 05-04-2013, 11:26 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,519,733 times
@Cali. I didn't understand why you commented about New York's life expectancy to begin with. Just to tell me more information I already know?

@fusion. The US is not Europe in its sweep of languages and cultures. It is only 400 years old. America has 315 million people (Europe tops 500 million) but 50 urban areas of more than 1 million people (Europe is similar). Interesting also that 25,000 Canadians (out of 34 million) immigrate to the US each year, while roughly the same number of Americans (out of 315 million) immigrate to Canada. That's a vote of confidence for the US as well.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 05-04-2013 at 11:36 AM..

Old 05-04-2013, 11:36 AM

12,893 posts, read 12,354,192 times
I find comparing live expectancies is kind of dumb - especially if the difference is under 2 or 3 years... who'd want to live somewhere an extra 2 years in a place they don't want to live? Life expectancy isn't much different between either places and isn't even worthy of discussion in this thread.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
@Cali. I didn't understand why you commented about New York's life expectancy to begin with. Just to tell me more information I already know?

@fusion. The US is not Europe in its sweep of languages and cultures. It is only 400 years old. America has 315 million people (Europe tops 500 million) but 50 urban areas of more than 1 million people (Europe is similar). Interesting also that 25,000 Canadians (out of 34 million) immigrate to the US each year, while roughly the same number of Americans (out of 315 million) immigrate to Canada. That's a vote of confidence for the US as well.
No why did you quote me in the first place?

Old 05-04-2013, 11:42 AM

24,257 posts, read 20,854,900 times
Can't believe why Dublin and Lisbon are Alpha cities but Helsinki is a Beta city.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:02 PM

5,804 posts, read 6,599,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Can't believe why Dublin and Lisbon are Alpha cities but Helsinki is a Beta city.
Even Berlin is rated lower than Dublin or Lisbon.

Alpha, Beta and Gamma cities (updated 2013)

Alpha++ world cities: London, New York

Alpha+ world cities: Hong Kong, Paris, Singapore, Tokyo, Shanghai, Chicago, Dubai, Sydney

Alpha world cities: Milan, Beijing, Toronto, Sao Paulo, Madrid, Mumbai, Los Angeles, Moscow, Frankfurt, Mexico City, Amsterdam, Buenos Aires, Kuala Lumpur, Seoul, Brussels, Jakarta, San Francisco, Washington

Alpha− world cities: Miami, Dublin, Melbourne, Zurich, New Delhi, Munich, Boston, Warsaw, Dallas, Vienna, Atlanta, Barcelona, Bangkok, Taipei, Santiago, Lisbon, Philadelphia, Johannesberg

Beta+ world cities: Düsseldorf, Stockholm, Prague, Montreal, Rome, Hamburg, Manila, Houston, Berlin, Athens, Tel Aviv, Bangalore, Copenhagen, Caïro, Bogota, Vancouver

Beta world cities: Budapest, Beirut, Luxembourg, Guangzhou, Seattle, Caracas, Ho Chi Minh City, Auckland, Oslo, Kiev, Chennai, Bucharest, Manchester, Karachi, Lima, Cape Town, Riyadh, Montevideo, Minneapolis

Beta− world cities: Abu Dhabi, Nicosia, Birmingham (UK), Rio de Janeiro, Brisbane, Geneva, Calcutta, Detroit, Denver, Monterrey, Bratislava, Port Louis, Casablanca, Manama, Stuttgart, Sofia, Cologne, St Louis, Helsinki, Panama City, San Diego, Lagos, Perth, Shenzhen, Cleveland, San Juan, Calgary, Guatemala City, Osaka.

Gamma+ world cities: Glasgow, Nairobi, Bristol, Hanoi, Cincinnati, Charlotte, Antwerp, Doha, Lahore, Baltimore, Jeddah, Edinburgh, Amman, Hyderabad (IN), Zagreb, Adelaide, Kuwait, Portland, Belgrade, San Jose (CR), Tunis, San Jose (US), Riga

Gamma world cities: Valencia (SP), Kansas City, Phoenix, Almaty, Guadalajara, Lyon, Quito, St. Petersburg, Leeds, Santo Domingo, San Salvador, Vilnius, Rotterdam, Tampa, Columbus, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Edmonton

Gamma− world cities: Tallinn, Pune, Porto, Porto Alegre, Orlando, Gothenburgh, Marseille, Ottawa, Colombo, Ljubljana, Tegucigalpa, Richmond, Islamabad, Muscat, Duran, Austin, Belfast, Guayaquil, Nagoya, Turin, Southampton, Milwaukee, Wellington, Curitiba, Accra, Georgetown (CI)

Old 05-04-2013, 12:02 PM

185 posts, read 442,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
How is the USA going up against 30 different countries.
EU allows you to travel, work and live within 30 different countries, just like the US allows you to travel, work and live in 51 different states.

remember the all the states were independant at one point until all of them got together to make the USA.. the EU similar in the way it brings these countries together.. possibly COMPLETELY uniting to make a United States of EU.

Last edited by mandem; 05-04-2013 at 12:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.