U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: EU or USA
European Union 119 45.25%
USA 144 54.75%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 08:41 AM

2,942 posts, read 4,688,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
of course its not i am just saying that its mostly germans and italians are you seriously putting "diverse" up against america. You also lost the weather round because every city in america right now is in the 70s to 80s except for anchorage Alaska. Maybe you should get a clue of common sense...i mean seriously you actually think i i was saying germany is fully german of course not.
You're talking about diversity within individual countries, this thread is about the European Union vs. the United States. There is far more demographic diversity in the EU than in the US and to argue otherwise is absurd. Perhaps if your only criterium for demographic diversity is race, the US wins. But in terms of language, religion, ethnicity, etc. the EU is clearly more diverse, especially if you consider that the EU is only half the size of the US. I don't know why some Americans seem to equate demographic diversity with racial diversity when race is just one component of many. Do you really think the difference between African-Americans and white Americans is greater than the difference between the British and the Greek, or the Swedes and the Portuguese, or the French and the Bulgarians, etc.? Even within EU countries, there is incredibly demographic diversity even though most people are of the same race.

As for weather, I have yet to hear of a universal standard for what is "good" weather and what is "bad" weather.
Rate this post positively

Old 05-05-2013, 08:49 AM

3,719 posts, read 6,448,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brabham12 View Post
@ cali Germany is "only" 88% white/European
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany#Demographics

Also there are different definitions of "diversity". Europe has way more historic, ethnic, cultural and lingustic groups than the US, however, the latter has the more "racially" diverse society.
hey peep im not stupid. Or at least i think i'm not. JK

Old 05-05-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
You're talking about diversity within individual countries, this thread is about the European Union vs. the United States. There is far more demographic diversity in the EU than in the US and to argue otherwise is absurd. Perhaps if your only criterium for demographic diversity is race, the US wins. But in terms of language, religion, ethnicity, etc. the EU is clearly more diverse, especially if you consider that the EU is only half the size of the US. I don't know why some Americans seem to equate demographic diversity with racial diversity when race is just one component of many. Do you really think the difference between African-Americans and white Americans is greater than the difference between the British and the Greek, or the Swedes and the Portuguese, or the French and the Bulgarians, etc.? Even within EU countries, there is incredibly demographic diversity even though most people are of the same race.

As for weather, I have yet to hear of a universal standard for what is "good" weather and what is "bad" weather.
Yes EU is 10 times more diverse in religion, language and ethnicity, the USA is more diverse in terms of people all living in one country. But its very hard to compare the USA very 20 different countries.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:04 AM

4,120 posts, read 5,013,946 times
Quote:
of course its not i am just saying that its mostly germans and italians are you seriously putting "diverse" up against america. You also lost the weather round because every city in america right now is in the 70s to 80s except for anchorage Alaska. Maybe you should get a clue of common sense...i mean seriously you actually think i i was saying germany is fully german of course not.
Not in a contest with you. Not everybody thinks weather must be in the 70's and 80's to be good.

And yes you did say Germany was 100% German.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:19 AM

24,257 posts, read 20,797,221 times
Quote:
Sorry but here in the midwest Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland actually every single city besides des monies and denver is 70-80 degrees. Portland and seattle stay in the 50s-60s year round, los angeles stays in the 75 year round, miami stays in 80, you failed to mention the billion other cities in america. I live in chicago and i tell you what i love my 70 degree weather in the north here. Every city right now in america right now is in the 70s-90s except for anchorage alaska You guys get 40 degree weather in the UK, rainy, in finland its 50 degrees, all you guys got is greece, italy and portugal. Your really going to fight me on diversity, germany is like 100% white, Italy is 100% italian, USA is EVERYTHING.
You're shockingly ignorant. You know nothing about the diversity or weather in Europe. The average high in my city in July is 72F, I find it comfortable enough. And I'm at 60N! Seattle, 13 degrees south has 76F in July. A couple of summers ago (2010) Finland recorded 99F.

Right now it's 72F in Madrid, 71F in Berlin, 72F in Rome, 75F in Lisbon, 82F in Athens, 75F in Budapest, 79F in Istanbul, 81F in Bucharest... it will be 70F here as well on Tuesday.

What was the record low this year in Chicago? 0F? In Paris it was 17F! The winter as a whole was much warmer in Paris than in Chicago. The absolute low temp in Rome has been 28F this year.

10 largest metropolitan areas in the US, warmest month high:

New York 84F
Los Angeles 84F
Chicago 84F
Dallas 96F
Houston 95F
Philadelphia 87F
Washington DC 89F
Miami 91F
Atlanta 89F
Boston 81F

10 largest metropolitan areas in the EU, warmest month high:

Paris 77F
London 74F
Madrid 88F
Barcelona 82F
Berlin 75F
Rome 87F
Athens 92F
Milan 84F
Lisbon 83F
Birmingham 71F

The only cool place of those is the Birmingham metro, but on the other hand it's much warmer in winter than Chicago, NYC, Boston, Cincinnati, Cleveland and others.

Moscow is the largest metropolitan area in Europe, and despite being cold in stereotypes, it has a July high of 76F. The low in the coldest month is 14F, Chicago has a low of 18F in January. My city's average low in January is 19F. And remember again, 60th freakin' parallel North. Wanna know what the low in London is? 36F.

You have some weird stereotype that all of Europe is just cold and gloomy, but as I showed you, that's completely false. It's also subjective to say "the hotter the better". I know a lot of people, also C-D users, who think that the summers in Houston are way too hot, and they prefer Berlin summers instead.

Quote:
You also lost the weather round because every city in america right now is in the 70s to 80s except for anchorage Alaska.
You don't win an argument by cherry-picking one particular day. On Tuesday almost whole of Europe will be in the 70's, some areas in 80's Fahrenheit. As I said, a couple of days ago the lows were in the 30's in many parts of the US, reaching down to Texas. At the same time places like Paris had lows of 50F.

Please, do some research on the Weather of Europe. You are only embarrassing yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brabham12 View Post
@ cali Germany is "only" 88% white/European
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany#Demographics

Also there are different definitions of "diversity". Europe has way more historic, ethnic, cultural and lingustic groups than the US, however, the latter has the more "racially" diverse society.
20% of all Germans are of immigrant background, over 16 million people. 12% of all people living in Britain are born in another country.

Quote:
Yes EU is 10 times more diverse in religion, language and ethnicity, the USA is more diverse in terms of people all living in one country. But its very hard to compare the USA very 20 different countries.
Places like LA and NYC are extremely diverse, but how diverse are states like the Dakotas, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas and Wyoming. Not much at all, and have you even thought about it? Almost everyone is white, protestant and speak only 'Murican. It's not like all different ethnic groups are evenly spread across the States, some states are extremely homogenous.

As is Europe. Some rural areas are close to '100% German or Italian', but in Berlin 30% of the populace has an immigrant backgroud and is very diverse. How many American cities can claim that 30% are immigrants?

If comparing the US with the EU is too difficult, let's take the 10 most populous states of the US and countries of Europe. No point, you have already lost this battle.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:25 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,055,391 times
Quote:
You also lost the weather round because every city in america right now is in the 70s to 80s except for anchorage Alaska.
Hmm of course it is debatable what exactly one considers "good weather". But why don't you just take a look at the weather map for yesterday (5/4), buddy? Seems like only Florida is "America" because all the other cities are well below 70F. Some places even recorded snow.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:29 AM

185 posts, read 441,981 times
Quote:
The thing about it is is that i give a opinion and i am told to be ignorant and to open my eyes up more, than the European come on and their like "OMG OMG there so fat in america, everything has no character, everyone is stupid" little do they know their ignorance has been as far away from the truth as can be. But not all Europeans are like this.
both sides have individuals that are ignorant.. its only a matter of the percentage that are and the USA wins by a country mile. 64% of americans have never left US borders, despite it being a country of immigrants.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:35 AM

185 posts, read 441,981 times
Quote:
USA is essentially 51 different countries merged into one. all of the 51 states of the US are unique in their own way in the same way every country in the EU is unique in its way. you can compare USA vs EU collectively or you can compare state vs country.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Not in a contest with you. Not everybody thinks weather must be in the 70's and 80's to be good.

And yes you did say Germany was 100% German.
Your are absolutely right. It was more this....i mean germany is like what 100% german.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
You're shockingly ignorant. You know nothing about the diversity or weather in Europe. The average high in my city in July is 72F, I find it comfortable enough. And I'm at 60N! Seattle, 13 degrees south has 76F in July. A couple of summers ago (2010) Finland recorded 99F.

Right now it's 72F in Madrid, 71F in Berlin, 72F in Rome, 75F in Lisbon, 82F in Athens, 75F in Budapest, 79F in Istanbul, 81F in Bucharest... it will be 70F here as well on Tuesday.

What was the record low this year in Chicago? 0F? In Paris it was 17F! The winter as a whole was much warmer in Paris than in Chicago. The absolute low temp in Rome has been 28F this year.

10 largest metropolitan areas in the US, warmest month high:

New York 84F
Los Angeles 84F
Chicago 84F
Dallas 96F
Houston 95F
Philadelphia 87F
Washington DC 89F
Miami 91F
Atlanta 89F
Boston 81F

10 largest metropolitan areas in the EU, warmest month high:

Paris 77F
London 74F
Madrid 88F
Barcelona 82F
Berlin 75F
Rome 87F
Athens 92F
Milan 84F
Lisbon 83F
Birmingham 71F

The only cool place of those is the Birmingham metro, but on the other hand it's much warmer in winter than Chicago, NYC, Boston, Cincinnati, Cleveland and others.

Moscow is the largest metropolitan area in Europe, and despite being cold in stereotypes, it has a July high of 76F. The low in the coldest month is 14F, Chicago has a low of 18F in January. My city's average low in January is 19F. And remember again, 60th freakin' parallel North. Wanna know what the low in London is? 36F.

You have some weird stereotype that all of Europe is just cold and gloomy, but as I showed you, that's completely false. It's also subjective to say "the hotter the better". I know a lot of people, also C-D users, who think that the summers in Houston are way too hot, and they prefer Berlin summers instead.

You don't win an argument by cherry-picking one particular day. On Tuesday almost whole of Europe will be in the 70's, some areas in 80's Fahrenheit. As I said, a couple of days ago the lows were in the 30's in many parts of the US, reaching down to Texas. At the same time places like Paris had lows of 50F.

Please, do some research on the Weather of Europe. You are only embarrassing yourself.

20% of all Germans are of immigrant background, over 16 million people. 12% of all people living in Britain are born in another country.

Places like LA and NYC are extremely diverse, but how diverse are states like the Dakotas, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas and Wyoming. Not much at all, and have you even thought about it? Almost everyone is white, protestant and speak only 'Murican. It's not like all different ethnic groups are evenly spread across the States, some states are extremely homogenous.

As is Europe. Some rural areas are close to '100% German or Italian', but in Berlin 30% of the populace has an immigrant backgroud and is very diverse. How many American cities can claim that 30% are immigrants?

If comparing the US with the EU is too difficult, let's take the 10 most populous states of the US and countries of Europe. No point, you have already lost this battle.
Listen hun today in america every single damn city is in the 60s-90s except for anchorage, whats so hard about excepting the facts. In europe finland is what 50 degrees, how about russia, sweden...anyway the record snow was a record
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.