Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place has better suburban area?
USA 20 46.51%
Europe 23 53.49%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 05:45 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times

Advertisements

These threads are pathetic if some of you Americans actually visit Europe you'd see how diverse EVERYTHING is including our suburbs.

Quote:
America by light years. EU's suburbs are white ghettos.
I guess you haven't actually visited Europe then right? If you had your obviously very biased and a typical obnoxious America. I don't personally have anything against Americans its just some of you lot like to think your better than everything that isn't American its stupid and childish!
I don't understand how this thread is still open! For gods sake lock it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 05:48 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I think it could be an interesting thread, at least for posters who are a little bit familiar with both. And both would defy the stereotypes some have of them.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:49 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,530,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
These threads are pathetic if some of you Americans actually visit Europe you'd see how diverse EVERYTHING is including our suburbs.

I guess you haven't actually visited Europe then right? If you had your obviously very biased and a typical obnoxious America. I don't personally have anything against Americans its just some of you lot like to think your better than everything that isn't American its stupid and childish!
Lol listen I like Europe, especially London because hey, people speak English. But EU is the opposite of America in regards to the whole suburban thing. A lot of cities in America are ghetto as hell i.e. Detroit, Baltimore, much of NYC, Chicago, much of LA, much of DC, etc, etc. There are no ghetto cities in Europe, you may have a few in London, very few and even then the ghettos in America make London's look like Disneyland.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:54 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I can only speak for myself, but it's because I have family in London.

Where do you get that idea?! Most newer houses here don't use brick, American houses are typically wood.
Where did you get this idea? While new homes in the NE may be typically wood, that is not the norm in other parts of the US. Where I live the SE, new homes are typically full brick although the cheaper ones may have brick in the front only and wood on the sides and back. And in the SW, I'm pretty sure stucco is more typical than brick or wood. We're a big country, what's typical for one region can't be assumed to be typical for all.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:55 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Lol listen I like Europe, especially London because hey, people speak English. But EU is the opposite of America in regards to the whole suburban thing. A lot of cities in America are ghetto as hell i.e. Detroit, Baltimore, much of NYC, Chicago, much of LA, much of DC, etc, etc. There are no ghetto cities in Europe, you may have a few in London, very few and even then the ghettos in America make London's look like Disneyland.
In bold is very typical coming from again an Obnoxious American talking about fueling the Stereotype.

As the Northern English would say your all shyte!!

Old 05-09-2013, 05:59 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Where did you get this idea? While new homes in the NE may be typically wood, that is not the norm in other parts of the US. Where I live the SE, new homes are typically full brick although the cheaper ones may have brick in the front only and wood on the sides and back. And in the SW, I'm pretty sure stucco is more typical than brick or wood. We're a big country, what's typical for one region can't be assumed to be typical for all.
Didn't know that. I knew the SW wasn't wood, but I assumed that was an exception. I think in most of the north, suburban houses are wood. Outer suburb in Massachusetts:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Chelm...,233.11,,0,3.2

Relatively new for us, there hasn't been a whole lot of housing built in the last couple decades. On the right on homes built about a decade ago, the left is typical Long Island 60s construction:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Littl...136.78,,0,-1.9

Suburbia in Long Island:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Massa...244.97,,0,7.31

Last edited by nei; 05-09-2013 at 06:13 AM..

Old 05-09-2013, 06:05 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Didn't know that. I knew the SW wasn't wood, but I assumed that was an exception.
Brick is typical in much of the SE. Have to do something with all that red clay!

Old 05-09-2013, 06:42 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
OMG!! Don't you ever give up? Nobody gives a sh*t about your feeble attempts at trying to prove the US is better. You aren't going to post more photos of your 'supposed' mansion are you?!

You wouldn't happen to be the reincarnation of Nunnor, would you?
This is the truth, not even Americans give a shyte about any attempt to prove that the U.S. is better. We have our good, bad, and indifferent in every single thing (from food to beautiful women/men as well as every other single quality of life criteria) in this world as anywhere else in the world.

Nothing and no place is perfect...unless one makes the very best of wherever they are!

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 05-09-2013, 07:05 AM

985 posts, read 1,854,106 times
My architect student daughter and me looked at mansion construction in southern California a few years ago and they all used wood there.

But indeed, it's not all houses of sticks in America. Exterior wall construction by region:
http://www.census.gov/construction/c.../exwallmat.pdf

Old 05-09-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
My architect student daughter and me looked at mansion construction in southern California a few years ago and they all used wood there.

But indeed, it's not all houses of sticks in America. Exterior wall construction by region:
http://www.census.gov/construction/c.../exwallmat.pdf
Interesting link. But that's the exterior siding. While new American houses typically have vinyvl siding on the exterior, the frame supporting the house is wood (at least where I'm from):

https://www.google.com/search?q=wood...w=1054&bih=629
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World