Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 02:31 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,441,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
No, it's the arrogance of many Americans that annoys me and the 'statement' (as if it's fact) that it's the greatest country in the world.
Most of the time we say it as a personal preference
For me personally, USA and Thailand are the best countries in the world.
Because the USA is home and Thailand is very affordable and has beautiful scenery.

Maybe now we can talk about culture shock while moving or visiting another first world nation?

Last edited by iNviNciBL3; 05-26-2013 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 02:35 PM

8,161 posts, read 8,711,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Maybe now we can talk about culture shock while moving or visiting anotjer first world nation?
Agreed. If people want to proceed with the off-topic discussion, please use PMs.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:40 PM

4,105 posts, read 5,534,581 times
Quote:
Because the USA is home and Thailand is very affordable and has beautiful scenery.

Maybe now we can talk about culture shock while moving or visiting anotjer first world nation?
I believe several pages ago I stated that I suffered culture shock for about 6 months after moving from the US to UK. Of course, this was nothing remotely like the culture shock I felt when I moved to Uganda!!!

In the UK I felt very much like a foreigner for many months. Aside from language, the pis*-taking humour, getting used to metric, trying to pronounce words so I was understood, I didn't know how things worked. I didn't know how the local councils worked (taxes), how the government was run, all the acronyms for different systems (when I pretty much knew them all in the US), how different it was to work in an office - different words for things. All of this added up. Shock may be a strong word but it definitely took a lot of adjustment.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:

For me personally Scotland is the best. I wouldn't mind living in France or Australia. Not really sure where I'd rate the US any more.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:48 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,465,005 times
The United Kingdom will be culturally similar to the United States in some ways than to France. Perhaps in some limited extents, the state of Louisiana excluded, given they are the only state in the Union to operate under civil law and not common law. The Cajuns and Creoles bring some cultural traits far distant from New England or Wisconsin too. Would New Orleans and Mardi Gras be more reminiscent of Belfast, Glasgow, Manchester, and Cardiff or would it be more similar to Salvador in Brazil?

Miami is another city in the United States that is now very culturally Latin American. In a number of cities of the United States you have sides of town--like the Near South Side of Milwaukee--that are very Mexican influenced. I go over there and hear cars and trucks with Mexicans bumping Mexican music. Not to mention the cowboy hats some can be seen wearing (these Mexicans usually come from Texas and Mexico). Some of the stores and people over there only speak Spanish except for telling you the cost of your purchase in English. And the Near South Side of Milwaukee is pretty multi-cultural now with Africans and East Asians living over there too.

But most the United States people of the U.K. should feel pretty comfortable in. Excepted they get seriously injured and go to the hospital. They'll treat you if it's life repeating or requires pain medication. But depending on the extent of your injury your bill could run you into the tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars. I have a medical bill now for a quarter million dollars.

The people of the U.K. are also more culturally similar to most of Europe when it comes to gun culture and gun rights. In fact, the young British adults today are much more like the French youth when it comes to protesting the government (committing arson and destroying other peoples personal property) over their government not making it their priority and responsibility to not give them jobs as machinists, lawyers, doctors etc., to improve their quality of life.

In some ways all of the Americas--less so with Canada--are culturally similar in some ways due to their history of colonization and white Creole domination over a racial caste system. And while Boston and a lot of Northern East coast states have for more than a century been very culturally similar to the United Kingdom, the history of the Southern states was a bit different. The Southern culture was aristocratic and its plantations were environments more akin to the slave plantations across Brazil and up into Mexico. Southern culture had some elements of old world Europe, especially its aristocratic family culture, but it was a very Creole culture in a number of ways due to the Amerindians and black African influences. Very similar to Venezuela. In all cases the white Creoles did not like the British or Spanish crowns taking sympathy on the Amerindian and blacks which they wanted as subjects of the crown. And being a subject of the British or Spanish crown would give them more protection than being neither subject nor citizen and only a slave.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:31 PM

20,652 posts, read 23,829,464 times
Quote:
I believe several pages ago I stated that I suffered culture shock for about 6 months after moving from the US to UK. Of course, this was nothing remotely like the culture shock I felt when I moved to Uganda!!!

In the UK I felt very much like a foreigner for many months. Aside from language, the pis*-taking humour, getting used to metric, trying to pronounce words so I was understood, I didn't know how things worked. I didn't know how the local councils worked (taxes), how the government was run, all the acronyms for different systems (when I pretty much knew them all in the US), how different it was to work in an office - different words for things. All of this added up. Shock may be a strong word but it definitely took a lot of adjustment.
So thats what you call a culture shock? Laws? Well um that is gonna be the case anywhere you go. And if you think for one moment that that would be why id find it hard to settle in I must say that is halarious. Laws do not bother me.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:10 PM

26,732 posts, read 22,400,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Of course. I've experienced mild culture shock moving within the borders of a first world country.
It happened to me too, lol, but the shock wasn't all that "mild" to be honest.

Around 1990 I moved from state of Washington ( then predominantly white and wealthy state) to the East Coast. Before state of Washington I stayed in Europe and before - in the USSR. So initially I pictured the rest of the US more or less like that state of Washington. The East Coast made me feel like I was in the third world country, particularly if to add the body count that they were reporting every evening on the news. So yes, it was a "culture shock" indeed.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:32 PM

5,377 posts, read 3,857,933 times
Quote:
Is it common for people who live in a 1st world nation to experience culture shock when moving to another 1st world nation?

To me the lifestyles are very similar that making it easy to adjust to the minor differences.
I live in a nondescript town just outside of Buffalo, and I'm pretty sure I'd experience culture shock if I moved fifteen miles in one direction or another, let alone further distances. Pretty safe to assume some level of culture shock when making an international move, unless you're incredibly self-centered and oblivious

Old 05-27-2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
So thats what you call a culture shock? Laws? Well um that is gonna be the case anywhere you go. And if you think for one moment that that would be why id find it hard to settle in I must say that is halarious. Laws do not bother me.
You are just picking out one thing because you are trying to prove your own point. You completely ignored everything else. It is pointless to be in any discussion with a know it all kid like you. You are now on my ignore list.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:52 AM

2,423 posts, read 4,306,454 times
Quote:
No other country is constantly stating it's the best in the world (as if everyone in the world would agree). Strongest (meaning most weapons) does not equate to being the best in the world. In other countries people will say in their opinion theirs is the best country. Key word being opinion.
I can think of a few. French believe they are the best, as do Argentines, and Brazilians and believe their country is blessed by God. Also Canada because they are better than the U.s. inso e of the U.S weak spots definitely have thementality that Canada is the better and ideal. Many large and very patriotic countries think they are thebest, they just don't say it as arrogantly as Americans do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World