Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 03:19 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex =] View Post
The U.S. is not first world.

Canada, Australia, Japan, and some European countries are first world.

The Gini Index is horrible in the U.S.A. (Gap between rich and poor), public schools are being replaced by under-performing charter schools (for profit), SOCIAL security is not social (even though the goverment collects social security from you) and it does not include social healthcare, and the cities are not walk-able so people get very heavy.

The U.S. is second world.

Some U.S. cities are first world but that does not mean the entire country is first world.
I agree with you. When I moved from Miami to PA three years ago, it was a culture shock. Even Philadelphia is a little bit behind in certain aspects. Good thing New York City is not far.
I try to be honest here!
BUt after about 2 years now it is a culture shock to go to NYC or Miami. LOL! I become uncomfortable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 05:22 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,231,525 times
Yes! I moved from west coast Canada (English-speaking) to rural Quebec (French-speaking) and it was very hard. Lots of tears, resentment, etc. but it took time to get over. It's hard to go years without hearing your native language in person.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:50 AM

108 posts, read 259,517 times
I moved from the UK to Singapore they are nothing like each other well apart from both countries drive on the left and the education system is based on the British system form the colonial days but culture wise totally different but I find that I can adjust easily so it was never a problem.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:39 AM

844 posts, read 1,657,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Every nation has citizens who think they live in the best nation in the world.
It is not just an American thing lol.
No.

Most residents in the third world know they were born in a creepy country, that's why Mexicans are doing whatever they can to immigrate to the U.S, even illegally.

The U.S is the most powerful country, which also means big corporations and politicians in the U.S are very powerful.
But average Americans don't have the same quality of life as many other developed countries.The food quality in U.S is probably the worst in developed world, that's why obesity is common.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:28 AM

110 posts, read 165,708 times
I don't think it's just about nations - it can also be about which region you choose in a particular nation. A German friend told me that Hamburg & Bremen are culturally much closer to England than they are to, for example, Munich, which isn't really surprising when you know that Angeln & Saxony are still full of Angles and Saxons, and we're largely Anglo-Saxon. I've had Dutch friends that I've stayed with and they are very similar to us - Netherlands has been described by them (jokingly) as 'an England that actually works'. Our culture changes from region to region, and I believe that is also true of the US - how much culture shock US citizens feel here will, I suspect, be dependent on where in the US they come from, and where in England they move to. Mainly, I suspect, it will be about language differences and misunderstandings, and possibly a difference in the way we talk with each other - realistically I would think that six months at least is needed to adjust.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:47 AM

844 posts, read 1,657,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Egerton View Post
I don't think it's just about nations - it can also be about which region you choose in a particular nation. A German friend told me that Hamburg & Bremen are culturally much closer to England than they are to, for example, Munich, which isn't really surprising when you know that Angeln & Saxony are still full of Angles and Saxons, and we're largely Anglo-Saxon. I've had Dutch friends that I've stayed with and they are very similar to us - Netherlands has been described by them (jokingly) as 'an England that actually works'. Our culture changes from region to region, and I believe that is also true of the US - how much culture shock US citizens feel here will, I suspect, be dependent on where in the US they come from, and where in England they move to. Mainly, I suspect, it will be about language differences and misunderstandings, and possibly a difference in the way we talk with each other - realistically I would think that six months at least is needed to adjust.
Sometimes, you need a few months to fully appreciate the cultural difference.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:05 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
I've lived in 4 countries in my life. Ireland, Germany, Japan and the USA. The majority of the time has been in the USA. The biggest culture shocks I have felt, have been moving from one region of the US to another region. I honestly do not know why some of the states are all in the same country.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:10 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
But average Americans don't have the same quality of life as many other developed countries.
Try to keep up, this has already been proven false.
You people want to think we have a poor quality of life but in reality we have a very great quality of life.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:14 PM

291 posts, read 476,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Try to keep up, this has already been proven false.
You people want to think we have a poor quality of life but in reality we have a very great quality of life.
That is statistically false. The US has greater:

-Poverty rate
-Income inequality
-Healthcare costs
-Homicide rate
-Teen pregnancy rate
-Obesity
-Infant mortality rate

and lower:

-Income mobility
-Life expectancy
-Belief in evolution

Than most other developed countries. These are the facts.

That does not mean that you are a poor fat religiose serial murderer who knocks up teenagers and cannot afford healthcare.

But, statistically speaking, the average American is worse off than the average citizen of most other developed countries.

That does not mean that there aren't people who are perfectly fine with the US.
But just because your employer pays for your healthcare doesn't mean it's not the most expensive in the world, and that a lot of people in your country cannot afford a decent plan.
Just because you live in a safe neighborhood does not mean that the average person in your country does.

There are people who live perfectly safe and comfortable lives in Greece. That doesn't mean that Greece does not have a problem.

I don't know why you take it so personally. If you live in a good area, have a good job, and lead a comfortable life, good for you. But that's just your experience as an individual. You are an individual before you are an American.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:23 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparappa View Post
That is statistically false. The US has greater:

-Poverty rate
-Income inequality
-Healthcare costs
-Homicide rate
-Teen pregnancy rate
-Obesity
-Infant mortality rate

and lower:

-Income mobility
-Life expectancy
-Belief in evolution

Than most other developed countries. These are the facts.

That does not mean that you are a poor fat religiose serial murderer who knocks up teenagers and cannot afford healthcare.

But, statistically speaking, the average American is worse off than the average citizen of most other developed countries.

That does not mean that there aren't people who are perfectly fine with the US.
But just because your employer pays for your healthcare doesn't mean it's not the most expensive in the world, and that a lot of people in your country cannot afford a decent plan.
Just because you live in a safe neighborhood does not mean that the average person in your country does.

There are people who live perfectly safe and comfortable lives in Greece. That doesn't mean that Greece does not have a problem.

I don't know why you take it so personally. If you live in a good area, have a good job, and lead a comfortable life, good for you. But that's just your experience as an individual. You are an individual before you are an American.
But...but...Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 06-25-2013 at 06:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World