Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 03:31 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times

Advertisements

Is it common for people who live in a 1st world nation to experience culture shock when moving to another 1st world nation?

To me the lifestyles are very similar that making it easy to adjust to the minor differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 05:07 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,389 times
I'm sure, especially if the language, economic system, customs etc are quite different.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:19 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
I have always assumed I'd be in for quite a culture shock if I moved to Japan, and that it'd be a bigger shock than if I moved to Cuba. This also depends on how you define "1st world".

Old 05-11-2013, 09:11 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,035 times
Of course. I've experienced mild culture shock moving within the borders of a first world country.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:24 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,543,753 times
I experienced culture shock moving from the US to UK. I wasn't really expecting so many differences, like language (especially in Scotland), and the humour. Some of the language differences can be very embarrassing when you don't realize what they are. My first job was an office temp and I felt like an idiot when someone said something about A4 and I hadn't a clue what they were talking about. It's the normal paper size.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:40 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I experienced culture shock moving from the US to UK. I wasn't really expecting so many differences, like language (especially in Scotland), and the humour. Some of the language differences can be very embarrassing when you don't realize what they are. My first job was an office temp and I felt like an idiot when someone said something about A4 and I hadn't a clue what they were talking about. It's the normal paper size.
What are the differences you found regarding the humour?

Old 05-12-2013, 07:58 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,013,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Are most Americans not aware of the types of paper sizes? (e.g. A4, B4, etc.)

Old 05-12-2013, 08:11 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I think the closest thing I've ever felt to culture shock was after spending five months in the Eastern Bloc in 1968, I arrived on the bus back in Greece, and saw all the brightly lit advertising billboards and heavy car traffic and store windows full of glitzy fashionable junk. It made me feel very uncomfortable, like I wanted to pull the covers up over my head.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:30 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Is it common for people who live in a 1st world nation to experience culture shock when moving to another 1st world nation?

To me the lifestyles are very similar that making it easy to adjust to the minor differences.
Culture shock? Not for me when I made the move. Adjustments to be made, sure; but anything like "shock," no. However, I can imagine that if a person is inclined to be inflexible, and assumes that the ways of dealing with the business of living as he knows them are a universal should-this-way, that any transition would be traumatic.

I can remember when my mother removed herself from the NE to Florida in the Seventies, several of our longtime neighbors had done the same. My gawd for the first couple of years they behaved as if they had moved to the other side of the world.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:08 AM

9,356 posts, read 14,297,668 times
It all comes down to knowledge of the place (history, language, economy, among other things), personal preparation, and, above all, based on the previous two, expectations management.

If one gets those three points about right, then certainly no shock, though there still may be disappointments and dislikes once you start doing things like standing on line to pay taxes, search for parking, and grocery shopping.

8 1/2" x 11".

All the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World