Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 08:15 AM

14,479 posts, read 11,272,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
Absolutely. A couple months ago I met this really lovely doctor who wanted to come to the US but was denied entry because she was from Yemen, so she ended up in Canada instead. We missed out on a genuinely kind, bright woman who would have made our country a better place, for the most arbitrary, xenophobic reason. At least Canada gains from this though
Well, I’m glad that this lovely doctor was at least able to immigrate to her second choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 01:56 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 2 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,911,320 times
There are tons of options to choose from since the year of 2010, especially. The past 2 years 2018, 2019 I am living in Romania(Dobrogea, and Wallachia regions) around 1/2 of the year and then the remaining in NYC USA. Even over there ended up endlessly entertaining, and life enriching. I have no regret with the move. I rather have multinational multiple citizenship status, and not just one or the other.

UK, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Denmark, Sweden, Russia
Latvia, Croatia, Bulgaria, Belarus, Estonia, Slovakia
Finland, Norway, Serbia, Lithuania, Ireland
Georgia, Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, UAE, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman, Morocco, Kazakhstan
Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, China/Hong Kong/Macau, South Korea, Japan, Taiwan
Australia, New Zealand, Fiji
Argentina, Chile, Panama, Peru, Canada
Wow! 57 to 59 Independent Countries Up To Now!

Ambivalent about these. Usually, they are suitable:
Ukraine, Luxembourg, Monaco, Iceland, Andorra, Liechtenstein, Greece, Malta
Armenia, Israel
Egypt, Algeria, Tunisia, Iran
South Africa, Nigeria, Namibia, Botswana, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea, Cape Verde, Ghana, Seychelles, Mauritius
Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan
India, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Philippines, Brunei, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Bhutan
Mexico, Colombia, Ecaudor, Paraguay, Brazil, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Saint Lucia, Trinidad Tobago, Belize, Costa Rica, Uruguay, Bolivia, Paraguay
Officially 109 to 111 Countries after the second group of real specific listings

Old 01-25-2020, 07:40 PM

32 posts, read 15,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I'm American and I want to live in Canada.
Is there anything you like about Canada? How does it differ from the US? In terms of pace of life, personal relationships and stuff? I love the US but I am thinking of settling in Thailand or Japan in the future. In the case of Thailand I used to go back and forth during the early 00s to Bangkok and fell in love with the Mai pen rai culture over there, the delicious food, kindhearted people I met over there. Well after more than a decade I went back again twice. I was absolutely shocked by the amount of development taking place in Bangkok. There are high rise buildings everywhere and prices have crept up. I mean you kind of get like a 20% discount from western prices (which is cheap still I guess) but nothing like the 5bucks a day hotel stay. Now you will have to go into the inner sois and suburbs to find old Bangkok. But still I found myself very Sabai over there. Life kind of finds its own slower pace and you are happy where you are. It is easy to find friends and even personal relationships both with the locals and expats too imo. But no more are the treasure troves of cheap electronics (like in Pantip Plaza). To my shock actually I found US electronics prices much much cheaper. Some locals have also become more money-centered. But I can say I re-fell in love again with the country.
I also like Japan but for some reason I personally like SEA food more, I guess it is the spices. A friend of mine is telling me Saigon, Vietnam is like Thailand in the 80s. Well, I am definitely checking it out.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:13 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,246,866 times
I like living in the US because I am an ambitious person. Contrary to the hype, most rich people in the US are workers. That is, they work a job. I didn't inherit wealth, I'm not an aristocrat, so I prefer to live and work in the US where I actually have a chance to become wealthy simply by working.

A lot of the alternatives to the US are what I would call "lifestyle countries". Places like Germany, a "rich country of poor people" where it's extremely difficult to accumulate wealth. People there live nice lives, but ambition is not rewarded. Those countries are pretty locked down, with an hereditary monied elite and a bureaucracy that runs the country. It's extremely difficult to make a mark there starting from nothing.

And look at Japan, where Carlos Ghosn was imprisoned for being a foreigner. Forget building a life there as an outsider.

I understand not wanting to live in the US if you just want a comfortable existence. The US is a country designed to reward ambition, which makes it unlike most other countries.

Old 01-26-2020, 01:54 AM

30,350 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Because I worked for an engineering company, I lived for over a year in numerous nations and many I liked and could live in for an extended number of years but there's no nation that I would want to emigrate to permanently.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:54 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,180,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I like living in the US because I am an ambitious person. Contrary to the hype, most rich people in the US are workers. That is, they work a job. I didn't inherit wealth, I'm not an aristocrat, so I prefer to live and work in the US where I actually have a chance to become wealthy simply by working.

A lot of the alternatives to the US are what I would call "lifestyle countries". Places like Germany, a "rich country of poor people" where it's extremely difficult to accumulate wealth. People there live nice lives, but ambition is not rewarded. Those countries are pretty locked down, with an hereditary monied elite and a bureaucracy that runs the country. It's extremely difficult to make a mark there starting from nothing.

And look at Japan, where Carlos Ghosn was imprisoned for being a foreigner. Forget building a life there as an outsider.

I understand not wanting to live in the US if you just want a comfortable existence. The US is a country designed to reward ambition, which makes it unlike most other countries.
I guess Americans still believe in the old rags to riches story.

Americans overestimate social mobility in their country

The U.S. Does Poorly On Yet Another Metric of Economic Mobility

"So what does the picture look like for the US? We know from work done by Raj Chetty and others using income to measure mobility,that absolute upward economic mobility has been declining since the 1940s. For children born in the 1940s, more than 90 percent were earning more than their parents. Today, that number has dropped to 50 percent. The figure below documents that decline."

Old 01-26-2020, 03:56 PM

30,350 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I guess Americans still believe in the old rags to riches story.

Americans overestimate social mobility in their country

The U.S. Does Poorly On Yet Another Metric of Economic Mobility

"So what does the picture look like for the US? We know from work done by Raj Chetty and others using income to measure mobility,that absolute upward economic mobility has been declining since the 1940s. For children born in the 1940s, more than 90 percent were earning more than their parents. Today, that number has dropped to 50 percent. The figure below documents that decline."
Hard not to believe it when you've lived it....I am 1 of 6 children and grew up with nothing but good values and focus on education....now 5 of 6 of us are millionnaires and don't have to worry about spending money to do the things we enjoy.

Old 01-26-2020, 05:25 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,690,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Hard not to believe it when you've lived it....I am 1 of 6 children and grew up with nothing but good values and focus on education....now 5 of 6 of us are millionnaires and don't have to worry about spending money to do the things we enjoy.
I think that's only part of the equation. A lot of it has to do with circumstances beyond one's control and just being in the right place in the right time. I don't think every single person featured in this documentary is a loser or a deadbeat but came across hard times often for things beyond their control (divorce, health issues etc..)

https://youtu.be/JHDkALRz5Rk

Old 01-30-2020, 02:33 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,667,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
...The USA is rapidly declining to third world status, and will be there within the lifetimes of most of you. As it is, if I live another decade, I expect Mexico will have become a better choice by then...

But then, you DO live in Texas and no place exemplifies the "race to the bottom" better in the US. Texas: Dragging us all down since 1836! So, I can certainly understand your wanting to leave. Arkansas would be a step up!

Old 01-30-2020, 03:13 PM

1,363 posts, read 610,900 times
Spending a few months back to back in Spain would be nice, very nice indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World