Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2013, 07:38 PM

824 posts, read 3,603,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Zurich, Geneva, Brussels, Prague and Oslo OVER
Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires, Mexico City and Washington D.C. ???
sao paulo, rio and buenos aires are poor cities.

washington dc? are you being srious?

I dont know how vienna, munich or even hamburg / copenhagen didnt make the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 11:56 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post

I dont know how vienna, munich or even hamburg / copenhagen didnt make the list.
There are at least twice as much more multi-millionaires in Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Buenos Aires than in Vienna, Munich, Hamburg and Copenhagen combined!

Old 05-26-2013, 07:07 PM

936 posts, read 3,191,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Strange though. Lists I see have placed Shanghai among top 10. It's slowly transitioning into an extreme powerhouse. San Francisco's feeds off of San Jose. Never seen SF put on any top 10 world lists period no matter what it is. Just Americans trying to overrate SF and underrate a Chinese city that is obviously more powerful.

Multiple lists have put Shanghai is the top 10 most economically powerful cities.
The World's Top 10 Financial Centers (PHOTOS)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financ...owerful_Cities

Re-thinking it, Shanghai may still not have HK's number, but it's still almost just as great of a experience as Hong Kong was.
if i'm talking to someone who has personal experience roaming shanghai's streets and felt that the bustling vibrant atmosphere was comparable to hong kong, i'll take your word for it. shanghai is one of the 6 cities i am desperate to visit during an east asian trip, including hong kong, tokyo, seoul, singapore, and manila. watching Skyfall 007 only validated my yearning.

also, i can see how shanghai is definitely a world financial center since china is now the world's 2nd largest economic power, with gdp exceeding 7-8 trillion, and shanghai is its financial hub. but the city of shanghai itself has a gmp of $300 bil, with 23 million inhabitants. so i'm on the fringe if it would be in my top 10 of world class cities. top 10 financial centers, yes, but other factors are important to me for world class, and unfortunately, western nations still predominantly make up the top 10 to me.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:40 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
are you crazy??

Have you been to any of those cities!?

Old 05-27-2013, 12:46 AM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
if i'm talking to someone who has personal experience roaming shanghai's streets and felt that the bustling vibrant atmosphere was comparable to hong kong, i'll take your word for it. shanghai is one of the 6 cities i am desperate to visit during an east asian trip, including hong kong, tokyo, seoul, singapore, and manila. watching Skyfall 007 only validated my yearning.

also, i can see how shanghai is definitely a world financial center since china is now the world's 2nd largest economic power, with gdp exceeding 7-8 trillion, and shanghai is its financial hub. but the city of shanghai itself has a gmp of $300 bil, with 23 million inhabitants. so i'm on the fringe if it would be in my top 10 of world class cities. top 10 financial centers, yes, but other factors are important to me for world class, and unfortunately, western nations still predominantly make up the top 10 to me.
A few things with that GMP stat.

One is that the RMB is artificially depreciated, so a lot of assets are actually undervalued.

Shanghai has a huge grey market.

How old is that $300 billion figure? Growth has occurred at a ridiculous pace, so even without the two factors above, that number might already be off.

There is massive inequality in Shanghai, so that $300 billion is mostly going to a smaller portion of people--so yes, there is a very large middle and upper class who by first world standards are making pretty good amounts. There's also a huge number of domestic immigrants that make much, much less.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:14 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
There are at least twice as much more multi-millionaires in Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Buenos Aires than in Vienna, Munich, Hamburg and Copenhagen combined!
Who cares? The average person there is still much poorer.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:26 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
LOL - when were you Toronto 1965.. or in the dead of winter. Come here from May to October and say that. Maybe you just didn't go out and explore the city. Anyway everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.

However here are some facts for others:

Toronto has the third largest English theatre scene in the world, the most attended film festival in the world, one of the most culturally diverse cities with the food diversity and festival diversity to reflect that. In addition an impressive array of museums and attractions and one of the largest gay populations with the top 5 pride festivities in the world..we also have the second largest fashion week in North America after NYC so boring is relative to the visitor I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
I don't agree with Toronto or Vancouver winning out over Seattle, Milan and Istanbul. I've been to all of these except Istanbul, and I'd much rather spend my time in Milan or Seattle than set a foot in Toronto or Vancouver. Boring, boring cities. The only good thing about Vancouver is that it's close to Seattle. And Victoria.

Brussels is kinda boring too, but still way better than Toronto or Vancouver.

Most interesting cities on your list: Barcelona, Berlin, Singapore, San Francisco, Shanghai and New York.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-27-2013 at 12:34 PM..

Old 05-27-2013, 12:28 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
I wonder why Milan, Amsterdam and Barcelona get mentioned that often along the really big names.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:19 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,095,203 times
How are Toronto and Vancouver listed but not Montreal? I can maybe understand putting Toronto and not Montreal, but you put Vancouver as well. Montreal was our biggest city here in Canada until only 15 years ago, and it's still the most "established" city (if that makes sense). I'm not saying which city is better or anything, but Toronto and Vancouver are still new, growing, reshaping their identity. World class shouldn't mean how expensive or fast-growing a city is, it should be about its importance in history and culture. Montreal is probably the only major English-French bilingual city in the world, for example. Putting Dubai, Shanghai and Beijing on there is ridiculous. What do those cities have, besides extreme wealth disparity and autocracy?

Old 05-28-2013, 05:59 AM

520 posts, read 1,515,013 times
We should establish criteria in order to rank them properly such as culture, tourist popularity, economy, history etc.

For instance, Rome is rather an "undergog" when it comes to all that "cosmpolitan", "financial", "economic" and "logistic" stuff, however, it has probably one of the most popular monuments and histories worldwide and therefore is way more a real "world class city" than places like Zurich, Brussels, Hong Kong or Toronto...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World