Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 03:35 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,545,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
The UK one looks about right to me - plenty of healthy foods such as fruit, water as well as juice, but also some crap such as chocolate and crisps. Oh, and a bottle of wine - how could you not?!

I don't buy as much junk as the family pictured though, I normally eat junk food once a week and never drink pop such as coke or Pepsi, though for the past few days I've basically been eating CLUB chocolate biscuits.
Never heard anyone outside the midwest US use that word!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 04:14 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,545,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
From the photographs it appears that the healthier foods (grains, fruits, vegts. rice, fish, limited
meat, very limited processed foods) are cost efficient and labor intensive which the women
spend the day preparing the meals. There was a time in the US when our grandmothers and
mothers were able to stay at home and worked making 2-3 meals a day, even desserts,
plus everything else involving the children and the household chores.
Many mothers today are trying to do the same while having to work outside the house
the term used is Super Mom.
Yes, I've had to be one of those back in the 70's and 80's. I didn't know any better then and used shortcuts with lots of processed foods. I wouldn't do that if I was raising a family today. There are ways to eat healthy that doesn't take a massive amount of time. Fresh fruit takes no preparation other than washing, salads don't take a lot of time. One pot meals that you can make on weekends and stick in the freezer. Or use a slow cooker. What's more important, easy or your family's health?

Old 05-30-2013, 04:28 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What, do people eat that much? ...12 big bottles of coke a week? I don't believe this.
If this is true, it's gotta be a total m i n d f u c k. And it sounds very suicidal too.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I live in east Texas and the vast majority of my grocery cart is filled with fresh veggies, fruits, mineral water, nuts and whole grain breads, etc. I cook from scratch and use organic products and whole grains. I rarely cook red meat (in fact, I don't each much meat at all). The health food/organic/locally grown groceries around here are always crowded, and this is in a fairly rural area - not some big trendy metropolitan area.

Heck, I even make my own yogurt!

Old 05-30-2013, 12:40 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,803 times
I highly doubt most families in Germany buy that much alcohol per week, unless some sort of party is coming up. Interestingly, it seems to be the only nationality with that much alcohol, so guess the article is based on stereotypes.
Japan looks interesting, I have no idea what half of that stuff is.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:03 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,607,320 times
this list has been around for almost a decade. it's from a book called hungry world or something. have seen it posted a million times. whoever made your link is pretty clueless, they didn't even include prices, which was the most important factor when this list was compiled. this list is also missing A LOT of families. for example, two US families were used

Quote:

United States: The Caven family of California

Food expenditure for one week: $159.18
Favorite foods: beef stew, berry yogurt sundae, clam chowder, ice cream

United States: The Revis family of North Carolina

Food expenditure for one week: $341.98
Favorite foods: spaghetti, potatoes, sesame chicken

Egypt: The Ahmed family of Cairo

Food expenditure for one week: 387.85 Egyptian Pounds or $68.53
Family recipe: Okra and mutton

etc

Old 05-30-2013, 04:43 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Never heard anyone outside the midwest US use that word!
What do they call it up in Scotland? It's pop here, occasionally fizzy drink. Certainly not soda.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:45 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Interesting, but I wonder if the other countries are as inaccurately depicted as USA. The family the photo shows seems to buy a lot of takeout, junk and convenience food. Some families may eat like that but certainly not all, and I doubt the majority.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I doubt many, if any of these are typical for any of the countries. My shopping for the week is definitely not typical here in Scotland which is one of, if not the most unhealthy countries in Europe. My trolley is filled with fruit, veg, beans, legumes, tofu, whole grains, soy milk, yogurt, etc etc. No soda, no junk, sometimes wine.
The Australian family is, in my opinion, in no way typical or average - either in terms of their ethnicity or size of household. The amount of meat they have is staggering and I'm certain is not representative of a typical Aussie family. Even when I had a husband and three growing kids it would have taken us at least two months to get through that much meat!

Old 05-30-2013, 10:30 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,607,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
The Australian family is, in my opinion, in no way typical or average - either in terms of their ethnicity or size of household. The amount of meat they have is staggering and I'm certain is not representative of a typical Aussie family. Even when I had a husband and three growing kids it would have taken us at least two months to get through that much meat!
this is the australian family that was used for the book most of these pictures come from

molloy family of brisbane. $303.75/week budget

Hungry Planet: What the World Eats - Faith D'Aluisio - Google Books

not sure where the picture from the OP came from.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:44 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
this is the australian family that was used for the book most of these pictures come from

molloy family of brisbane. $303.75/week budget

Hungry Planet: What the World Eats - Faith D'Aluisio - Google Books

not sure where the picture from the OP came from.

Yup, that looks much more typical! Their budget looks a bit high though. Looks like they have a couple of bottles of decent looking wine in there, which might account for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World